Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 12:58 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,598,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
But the argument posed by supporters of Basic Income is that you can eliminate all Welfare Programs including Social Security and Medicare.
Strawman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 01:12 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yet, you don't think it's cruel to steal money from folks that have worked hard to get where they are, and give it to those that have not? Interesting.
Is it not also "stealing" to live in a society benefitting from government services while refusing to pay for the same services?

I call "double standard" on this one.

There are not always enough jobs to go around. If you don't give the poor a safety net, then you will be more likely to suffer personal and property harm as a result of desperate individuals. Therefore, benefits protect you.

Therefore, you should pay for them, otherwise you are "stealing".

Old 03-10-2016, 02:05 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Is it not also "stealing" to live in a society benefitting from government services while refusing to pay for the same services?

I call "double standard" on this one.

There are not always enough jobs to go around. If you don't give the poor a safety net, then you will be more likely to suffer personal and property harm as a result of desperate individuals. Therefore, benefits protect you.

Therefore, you should pay for them, otherwise you are "stealing".
Abs-friggin-lutely. Which is why these "poor" that don't opt out of all that they benefit from with regards to government services MUST start paying taxes.

But there is a HUGE difference between paying for services and paying to keep people from stealing from you. One is civilized society, and one is extortion. You need to learn the term "learned helplessness" - that's what happens when there are not strings to the safety net.

To be fair, a gun trained at my door will protect me also.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:15 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,891 times
Even though I know it will never happen due to Washingtons greed I support a basic income. Some people don't have the means to actually go out and find work for whatever reason. With a basic income they'd still be able to save their money.

Who are we to tell these people to starve simply because they are incapable of finding work.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:47 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Abs-friggin-lutely. Which is why these "poor" that don't opt out of all that they benefit from with regards to government services MUST start paying taxes.
The standard deduction and personal exemption should be set appropriately so that significant income cannot be shielded from taxation. Is this your point?

Quote:
But there is a HUGE difference between paying for services and paying to keep people from stealing from you. One is civilized society, and one is extortion.
Name ONE civilized society that thrives without providing anything to the helpless members (including children?)

Quote:
You need to learn the term "learned helplessness" - that's what happens when there are not strings to the safety net.
Only if the safety net is set up in such a way that it fails to incentivize work. This is why the point about removing the cliff effect and providing only the bare necessities (plus resources to find work) is part of it.

Quote:

To be fair, a gun trained at my door will protect me also.
Only if you get there in time and have control of it.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:54 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,924 times
Quote:
Yet, you don't think it's cruel to steal money from folks that have worked hard to get where they are, and give it to those that have not? Interesting.
It is the nature of wealthy people to accumulate wealth. If they do this by taking the wealth from those beneath them then that needs to be limited and reversed. We need the growth in the economy to be happening on the bottom for the next 50 years and then the top and bottom to be stabilized so that neither grows at the expense of the other.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
America, where the poor are artfully pitted against the almost poor, while the top .1% bleeds the country dry.

BTW, you'd be getting that BI check also. If you are somewhere around median income or less it would definitely be a net bonus for you.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
If they do this by taking the wealth from those beneath them then that needs to be limited and reversed.
That part should be a topic all its own.

But in summary, most of the rich got that way by gaming the system and extracting money from it. In others words, yes they "stole" it. Only those who have contributed to pushing technology and productivity forward have *created* wealth.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
On average rents have risen 70% since then. So scale appropriately. Cheap areas will have risen less than that. Loads of places where median rent is <$350/mo.
Median rent in the US is $799.

https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_median_asking_rent

Old 03-10-2016, 06:41 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
Quote:
Ah, the unintended consequences. If you take MY money, to guarantee YOUR income, then I get to dictate how you live. And if that means you get roommates, or live in a dorm, then that's the price YOU pay to take MY money. You don't get to live a luxury lifestyle with MY money.
Um, dude. I was just told that BI was going to everyone, regardless of income. That means you'd be getting it too. So it's not YOUR money. And as 74% of people on welfare are working now, they're also paying taxes and would supposedly keep paying taxes towards BI. Chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics