Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 10:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I said $12k, not $8k. And you wouldn't be replacing Medicaid with Obamacare, you'd be putting everyone in the income bracket corresponding to Obamacare rather than nothing or (in states that offer it) expanded Medicaid.
All welfare programs are gone..remember ? That is the point of basic income. It's not in addition to welfare programs..it replaces it.

What is your basis for $12K ?

What is the welfare expense for a single mom with 1 kid?
Will that $12K be enough ?
If not you just created a bigger poverty gap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 10:55 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Ringwise seems to take the extreme and absurd position that even having to pay one dime extra in taxes is some horrible thing because it amounts to "stealing" from those who have the resources. If they did not get anything at all, they most definitely would be starving, at least some of them.
Some of us (less and less every year) pay a TON of taxes. We don't live off our investments or have trust funds. We have jobs that pay pretty well. As one of those people, I am happy to pay taxes so I can receive benefit of infrastrcture and services like police and fireman. I'm glad to pay taxes for public schools even though I never used that particular service. I'm even happy to participate with helping those who need help.

My problem is, I'm always IT. I'm always in the group who gets to pay more and more taxes. Currently between SS, Medicare, federal, state, local, property taxes I'm paying in excess of 50%. So, yes, I will continue to think that my being required to pay even more is absurd.

I'm sure you'll put me in the "greedy" category. IMO everyone who thinks they have a right to an ever expanding portion of what I work for are the greedy ones.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:57 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Some of us (less and less every year) pay a TON of taxes. We don't live off our investments or have trust funds. We have jobs that pay pretty well. As one of those people, I am happy to pay taxes so I can receive benefit of infrastrcture and services like police and fireman. I'm glad to pay taxes for public schools even though I never used that particular service. I'm even happy to participate with helping those who need help.

My problem is, I'm always IT. I'm always in the group who gets to pay more and more taxes. Currently between SS, Medicare, federal, state, local, property taxes I'm paying in excess of 50%. So, yes, I will continue to think that my being required to pay even more is absurd.

I'm sure you'll put me in the "greedy" category. IMO everyone who thinks they have a right to an ever expanding portion of what I work for are the greedy ones.
So what would you cut from Federal spending?

Old 03-11-2016, 11:09 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
What does that matter? The continuing promises of everything for "free" made by politicians pandering for votes insures the tax burden will continue to increase. If you expect politicians to start telling the truth and admit we can't afford all the freebies they promise without additional tax burdens on the people who actually pay taxes, I have a bridge in Brooklyn with your name on it.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:56 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
The money from BI isn't intended to come from tax revenues, it is liquidity created by the central bank and distributed through households.
So, in other words, you just rapidly expand the federal debt to the point that federal debt exceeds World GDP.

Got it.

Quote:
So how do you propose to avoid having a large segment of the population in crushing poverty?
Define "poverty" objectively in no uncertain terms.

Quote:
Read the post trail. There are laws in many places restricting the number of unrelated individuals that can occupy a dwelling. Living with parents is not an option if they do not reside close enough to your current or prospective place of employment.
WWHHD?

What Would Homo Habilis Do?

Homo Habilis would migrate to an area of the US where housing was affordable or save money to buy a car.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:37 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Ringwise seems to take the [...] position that even having to pay one dime extra in taxes is some horrible thing because it amounts to "stealing" from those who have the resources. If they did not get anything at all, they most definitely would be starving, at least some of them.
Sad, that you think taking and taking and taking, with no end, is extreme.

Taking extra IS stealing. Just because I have the resources, and you don't, doesn't mean I have to forcibly give them to YOU.

And no, they would most definitely not be starving. Because I never said they should get nothing at all. Quit putting words in my mouth. But let's also put the blame where it lies - with the parents having kids they can't afford.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 03-12-2016 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: quote post has been moderated

Old 03-11-2016, 01:39 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
free market
We don't have a free market. We have crony capitalism.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I can answer that. Everything except military.

The rest should be handled by the states.

No more federal grants for stupid studies, no more loans to risky green companies, no more bloated bureaucracy, no more waste fraud and abuse. Our Federal government should do nothing more than protect our country. Period.

Sadly, that shipped has sailed.....

Old 03-11-2016, 01:44 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
That's not how the free market works. There's nobody "taking" anything. Rather, it's an agreement between and employer and employee, based on the needs of both.

If there's any taking being done, it's by the bottom that takes from the top, when taxes are taken from the top and given to the bottom.
OK in more detail. The FED has been charged with maintaining wage price stability. That means wages don't go up faster than inflation. The economy grows and so the growth happens in the top end.

Then they outsource jobs to reduce labor costs, they let in more workers when they aren't adding enough jobs to employ our own domestically produced kids. It is an intentionally manipulated market not a free one. And it is being manipulated for the benefit of the top not the middle.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
So you'd rather have starving children on the streets? Don't have kids you can't afford? Too late, the kids have been born already. What now.
And here we go - the typical liberal reaction of ALWAYS. Who's the heartless one now, encouraging a system that guarantees more and more children being born to parents that can't support them, guaranteeing they too will grow up in poverty.

What now? Cut off everything from this point forward. Can you not see that by making exceptions, and not "blaming the kids" and the parents, you perpetuate the whole folly over and over and over? Let private charities help them. You know, those EVIL religious groups that help people, but the left is trying to abolish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics