Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 07:41 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,244,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
That sounds...... awful. And a recipe for a wonderfully crime ridden neighborhood. Yes, let's bring back ghettos to warehouse the poor. What could possibly go wrong?
Err... "bring back ghettos"? Compton, CA, Camden, NJ, and Detroit ain't eggsactly Beverly Hills. The United States has been segregating poor people in ghettos since forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 07:51 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
In Washington, DC the only way you'd find that is in one of the super-dangerous neighborhoods in Southeast DC, and even then I think it will be higher on the rent.

And good luck finding 3 other people willing to live with you in a 2-bedroom apartment.*

The other issue is that landlords are NOT willing to let you "rent 1/4 of the apartment" - rather, they want all of the tenants to be jointly responsible for the ENTIRE rent. This leaves you financially vulnerable to defaulting roommates (Ask me how I know about this problem - I have had to pick up parts of roommates' bills before...)

To avoid this, you have to rent a room. Not "half a room", but a full room.

"Adult dormitories" don't exist around here.

*the post you linked to earlier mentions $600 rent and $200 utilities being $200/person, which implies a total of 4 people in the apt.
Ah, the unintended consequences. If you take MY money, to guarantee YOUR income, then I get to dictate how you live. And if that means you get roommates, or live in a dorm, then that's the price YOU pay to take MY money. You don't get to live a luxury lifestyle with MY money.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Ah, the unintended consequences. If you take MY money, to guarantee YOUR income, then I get to dictate how you live. And if that means you get roommates, or live in a dorm, then that's the price YOU pay to take MY money. You don't get to live a luxury lifestyle with MY money.
But that's what BI is all about. Eliminate poverty by giving everyone money, lots of money.
Then everyone can live the middle class lifestyle.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:21 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Err... "bring back ghettos"? Compton, CA, Camden, NJ, and Detroit ain't eggsactly Beverly Hills. The United States has been segregating poor people in ghettos since forever.

Where I live, public housing is spread through out the city/county. There is no concentration of government housing for the poor. While these communities are not Beverly Hills either, they are also not ghettos and the quality of life in them is commiserate with someone who receives no assistance but lives on a limit/low budget. And the children who live there play in the same parks, go to the same libraries and attend to the same schools as the more affluent areas around them. IMO this is a better thing than putting everyone on public assistance in one concentrated area. We've tried that before to less than stellar results.

Is there, in the municipalities you mention, just one government mandated area where poor people receiving housing assistance have to live? If not, then either the wallets of the people who live there is self segregating them or the areas are all over poor.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:05 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
*the post you linked to earlier mentions $600 rent and $200 utilities being $200/person, which implies a total of 4 people in the apt.
Yes, two couples.

I understand that all you people accustomed to spending a lot more money can't imagine it. But if you get out hang with the people who are actually live on next to nothing you will see how they manage it. Minimum SS is about that much, and plenty of people are living on that.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
So we're going to move 50 million poor people to New Mexico where apartments are $600?
NM is definitely not the cheapest state. The great majority of the entire country has apartments that cheap or cheaper. In many places you can buy a good house with $600/mo.

Here is a nice map of median rent. It's a bit dated (2000) but you get the idea. Where I live is actually near the national median for cost. If you want cheap rent go to the blue areas:

Old 03-10-2016, 09:21 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,384,580 times
Quote:
This is nonsense. When the top marginal rate was 90%, the tax code was riddled with loopholes, shelters, and deductions. The effective tax rate was pretty much the same as we have now for high income people. You'd have to be an idiot at the time to have that kind of income and not shelter it.
It is how they hid their income that made it good for everyone.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
NM is definitely not the cheapest state. The great majority of the entire country has apartments that cheap or cheaper. In many places you can buy a good house with $600/mo.

Here is a nice map of median rent. It's a bit dated (2000) but you get the idea. Where I live is actually near the national median for cost. If you want cheap rent go to the blue areas:
a lot has happened in 16 years..including a few RE bubbles.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:07 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,013 times
In the poorhouses I advocate, nearly half the budget would be spent on security. There would be no ghetto crime, and no vices such as drugs, smoking, drinking, etc. There would be no need for roommates, because rooms for single people would be extremely small. Just barely big enough to fit a twin-size bed, a small closet, and a small table. Or if there was enough of a budget, the rooms might have their own small bathrooms. The building entrance doors would have metal detectors. All weapons would be confiscated. Everyone would have security gadgets while in the building, which would have features such as a panic button and a worry timer

Old 03-10-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
In the poorhouses I advocate, nearly half the budget would be spent on security.
That's fine if you can find people who want to pay whatever you are charging for rent.

But if this is just your prison for poor people, I gotta say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics