Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 08:25 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Nope. I read a broad and diverse collection of news sources. I live in the world of facts. I use facts to support my opinions and often change my opinion on things when presented with updated information. I do not cling to mythology in the face of facts that contradict that. Professionally, I'd get fired if I ever did that. Fox News and it's brethren are propaganda for the poorly educated unwashed masses. If you buy into that whole thing, I suggest some personal introspection.
You can’t say you rely on facts when you lack objectivity as well as falling into the gutter with your reference to the “unwashed poorly educated masses”.

Clearly, you are the one in need of the personal introspection.

From a professional standpoint (as you referred to above), I would have fired you in two seconds, if you approached business in the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 08:35 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
That has always been the case. And if you fund an IRA or 401-k, you too will be hoping to get back more than what you put in thanks to interest, dividends, capital gains, and so forth.
good analogy, there is probably some growth to ss payments due to interest but i think a lot comes from taxpayer public assistance.

Quote:
Actually, rates of premature death due to misuse of drugs, suicide, and a few other factors have been increasing and overall US life expectancy has been decreasing as the result.
there are three categories on death certificates:
[homicide]
[accidental death]
[natural causes]

the natural causes average age is going up methinks.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:35 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
The constant diatribes about Fox News is getting old. CNN and MSNBC are the same way when it comes to the liberal point of view...
You have an interesting definition of "the same." Kind of like those one-time complaints that Obama's policies were "the same" as those of Bush-43.

To recap the history here, when the neocons abandoned the Democratic Party because they couldn't either abide or control the anti-war left any longer, they proceeded to drive all the paleo-conservatives out of the GOP and then hooked up with hard-right corporatists who could supply some money and the Xtian fundies who could supply some pliant numbers. Then they borrowed from Falwell and the like the same tactics of deceit and dishonesty that had served the tobacco companies so well for so long. They openly pledged in fact to build out a new communications network that could first force arch-conservative dogma into the marketplace of ideas, and then grow to drive out as much of everything else as possible. This is where the echo chamber of naked propaganda shops like FOX News and its many close relatives came from, along with the endless gaggle of babbling right-wing, free-market "think tanks". These outlets have no intent to seek, publish, or pay any attention at all to the truth of any matter. They are nothing but partisan disinformation mouthpieces through and through. The problem here is that far too many may completely fail to recognize the fact.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:38 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
why do people like you always try to use the exception to prove the rule?
it's like when someone says a fat person could have some bad lucky thyroid condition. while true 99+ pct of the time when you're fat it's your own fault.
poor people don't have some sort of disproportionate bad luck when it comes to birth control failing when used properly. and if anything poor people and ANYONE not ready to be a parent should be extra careful with regards to making sure it's used properly.
"you people"? What a charming way to encourage discussion

Old 12-22-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
You have an interesting definition of "the same." Kind of like those one-time complaints that Obama's policies were "the same" as those of Bush-43.

To recap the history here, when the neocons abandoned the Democratic Party because they couldn't either abide or control the anti-war left any longer, they proceeded to drive all the paleo-conservatives out of the GOP and then hooked up with hard-right corporatists who could supply some money and the Xtian fundies who could supply some pliant numbers. Then they borrowed from Falwell and the like the same tactics of deceit and dishonesty that had served the tobacco companies so well for so long. They openly pledged in fact to build out a new communications network that could first force arch-conservative dogma into the marketplace of ideas, and then grow to drive out as much of everything else as possible. This is where the echo chamber of naked propaganda shops like FOX News and its many close relatives came from, along with the endless gaggle of babbling right-wing, free-market "think tanks". These outlets have no intent to seek, publish, or pay any attention at all to the truth of any matter. They are nothing but partisan disinformation mouthpieces through and through. The problem here is that far too many may completely fail to recognize the fact.
Thanks for checking in, Rachel Maddow.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The problem in the United States is ignorant people. That's what perpetuates the cycle of poverty.
They can become vulnerable to crooked politicos who take it that if they can use fear and emotion to run up big enough margins among the dumb people, it won't matter how the smart people vote anymore.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
It is a simple question. You either lack the ability to answer it, or have decided to try and avoid answering.
It's not a simple question at all. It's telling that you thought it would be. With respect to arriving at equitable federal income tax rates, those who study and contribute to the development of tax policy hope to tamp down inequities in the distribution of tax burden, and have settled in that regard on points that typically lie between the wealth distribution curve and the income distribution curve.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:23 AM

15,424 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
i don't trust the gov't and i don't want them in my business. i also don't get a monthly stipend from them.
if i ever needed welfare i'd be fine with taking a drug test to get the money. the premise behind welfare (and im using this to include all forms of govt help- food stamps section 8 etc) is that you can't afford necessities on your own. it seems pretty reasonable to require you not be wasting money on drugs and that you are lucid so you can better yourself and get out of the bad situation you're in.
If the tests were cheap and there were lots of positives, then there would be fewer grounds for objecting. However, the tests aren't that cheap, and the number of people caught with drugs in their system is low, so it doesn't make economic sense to test everyone. Paying a million dollars to save $200,000 is always stupid.

Quote:
why do people like you always try to use the exception to prove the rule?

it's like when someone says a fat person could have some bad lucky thyroid condition. while true 99+ pct of the time when you're fat it's your own fault.

poor people don't have some sort of disproportionate bad luck when it comes to birth control failing when used properly. and if anything poor people and ANYONE not ready to be a parent should be extra careful with regards to making sure it's used properly.
Lots of poor people are never taught how to use birth control properly, and proper use makes a huge difference in preventing pregnancy. Lots of men refuse to use condoms, because it's perceived as some sort of assault on their masculinity, and many women don't like the feel of condoms - the end result is pregnancy. Lots of people are poor because they are at the lower end of the intelligence spectrum, and just don't learn well. There are myriad reasons why people get pregnant. I have some friends whose fourth child was conceived after she had her tubes tied. Young women believe the lies when they are told they can't get pregnant the first time, or get pressured into sex by a boyfriend. In any case, people have unprotected sex a lot - not surprising, since sex is the third strongest drive after sleep and food.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
It's not a simple question at all. It's telling that you thought it would be. With respect to arriving at equitable federal income tax rates, those who study and contribute to the development of tax policy hope to tamp down inequities in the distribution of tax burden, and have settled in that regard on points that typically lie between the wealth distribution curve and the income distribution curve.
No, it is simple. When people say they want others to pay their “fair share”, then they have applied a measure to come to a conclusion that it is not fair, in their option. Thus, these same people should then tell us in return as to what they consider to be fair.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:35 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,202 times
Quote:
If you don’t see the bias in CNN, you are part of the problem.
In other words, you got nothing. Sorry, but whether or not you're a CNN/Fox News hater/lover, you need specifics.

Quote:
No, it is simple. When people say they want others to pay their “fair share”, then they have applied a measure to come to a conclusion that it is not fair, in their option. Thus, these same people should then tell us in return as to what they consider to be fair.
If you're wealthy, say like making more than $120K, or have millions in earnings, then you SHOULD be paying your fair share of taxes. Not be finding ways to hide them in off shore accounts. But then some of those same folks will cry foul when individuals manage to find loopholes like being on unemployment for 1.5 years (which they've earned, and was part of policy).

Conservatives say: “I have suffered—so you should too.”
Liberals say: “I have suffered—so no one else should have to.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics