Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 10:39 AM

15,841 posts, read 6,547,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I’d much prefer to see our greatly inflated health care costs go down.
Agreed. There's already enough money in the system to fully fund universal health care. The problem is it's all going to the wrong places. Instead of just funding medical professionals, we're also funding lawyers, administrators, insurance companies, and Wall Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 11:00 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Agreed. There's already enough money in the system to fully fund universal health care. The problem is it's all going to the wrong places. Instead of just funding medical professionals, we're also funding lawyers, administrators, insurance companies, and Wall Street.
I don't usually reduce situations like this to simplistic images - there is nearly always a more complex explanation of what's really going on, no matter how much someone might object to the process or results - but BigMed/BigPharm and their extraordinary lobbying power is accurately depicted as not just pigs feeding at a trough, but a feeding frenzy where they don't even notice if one of them gets eaten.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:20 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
It's not quite as simple as an age cutoff.
The Freakonomics podcast once had an episode called "Glorious Sunsets"- the name of an imaginary insurance company that would give you a nice bonus- $40,000 or $50,000- if you chose palliative care instead of aggressive treatment. You can't do it because of the ethical issues, of course- Warren Buffett and Bill Gates could choose to take every measure possible without worrying about their family, but Jane Sixpack may forego treatment to leave money to help her grandchildren. Interesting thought exercise, though, that points out that unlimited health care has a cost.
Private health insurance and private payments are a different matter -- heroics are fine as long as the taxpayers aren't paying for it.

My point was that public health insurance/ Obamacare/ Medicare-for-all/ Medicaid -- whatever the US ends up with -- must have some boundaries. One of those boundaries needs to be a limit to end-of-life heroics, where huge amounts are currently spent. The reason age would be a good qualifier (maybe it should be 75 rather than 70) is that it is _equitable_

Once you introduce judgments ("who is strong enough to undergo this procedure", for example), you will inevitably politicize the public health insurance program. That leads to bad outcomes. "Death Panels" come to mind.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Once you introduce judgments ("who is strong enough to undergo this procedure", for example), you will inevitably politicize the public health insurance program. That leads to bad outcomes. "Death Panels" come to mind.
The concept is good. I can't see any way to implement it that would be.

Yes, there are people living lives of something between vegetables and death row prisoners who are kept alive at enormous cost. But what about someone, say, 72 who simply has a quiet life of no particular merit to anyone else? Are they 'worth' saving for another five years of quiet anonymity?

I suspect the answer might vary a bit between those who are hale, hearty, well-off and not that old, and those who... may be leading lives of 'little merit.'

And what of someone going through a bad stretch - depression, loss, financial reversal - who might be judged not worth saving because of that condition... but could recover in all ways and live another good stretch of life?

Good notion. Won't work until we fully reduce people to replaceable elements in every way, at which point you may pull my plug regardless of my age, condition or outlook.

But vastly reducing costs and overtreatment driven by uncontrolled billing and malpractice terror - no, not every kid with a sprained ankle needs an MRI - is definitely the direction to aim.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:46 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

Did I?
I believe so. I was responding to someone saying that “pizza” was a reason people are obese. I’m far from obese. I love pizza. I even make my own once in a while. There’s a lot more to it than just “pizza”.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:54 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Until we can find it in our hearts to prioritize our national spending we will be arguing forever over whether we need to build more and better killing machines for the sake of corporate profits, or, have better schools, hospitals, old folks homes, etc. not to mention better air, water, and food. The wowsers will continue to deflect our attention by their habitual alarm soundings, but in the end, our country will most likely evolve under pressure. And that pressure stems from too many greedy hands in our government's pockets, not to mention the rise of a plutocratic hand in all of government's affairs.

It's really about priorities, as Coretta King observed:

"Our Congress passes laws which subsidize corporation farms, oil companies, airlines, and houses for suburbia. But when they turn their attention to the poor, they suddenly become concerned about balancing the budget and cut back on the funds for Head Start, Medicare, and mental health appropriations. "

Coretta Scott King

Old 06-19-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I believe so. I was responding to someone saying that “pizza” was a reason people are obese. I’m far from obese. I love pizza. I even make my own once in a while. There’s a lot more to it than just “pizza”.
Of course there is. But I pointed out that pizza==loads of cheese, and cheese is a relative newcomer to the American diet - from a minor ingredient and upscale snack to, well, I don't think there are any cheese-flavored breakfast cereals yet. It may be the single most prominent factor in US portion/calorie size and obesity increase. Pizza is just the most egregious example; burgers with more calories in the cheese than from the meat are another. Cheese all over salads (both as grated stuff and loaded into dressings). Cheese sticks by the dozen as snack food.

And we've been convinced that it's somehow a good thing, a natural food, something to be heaped on everything except - so far - ice cream and cereal. When there are few substances in the kitchen with a higher calorie density, except maybe for butter. (Which is likely 'healthy' margarine sitting atop the block of cheddar.)

Oh, and my goodness does it slam both the fat and salt buttons of our hindbrains.

The Budweiser argument doesn't work here, either. That most people eat cheese and many aren't fat is not a convincing argument. So yes, I think you did miss the point in making your point.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:58 AM

1,067 posts, read 624,417 times
Quote:
I don't usually reduce situations like this to simplistic images - there is nearly always a more complex explanation of what's really going on, no matter how much someone might object to the process or results - but BigMed/BigPharm and their extraordinary lobbying power is accurately depicted as not just pigs feeding at a trough, but a feeding frenzy where they don't even notice if one of them gets eaten.
According to CMS, prescription drug spending is only 10% of the pie. The high prices of a drug make headlines, but you are usually seeing the sticker price and not the actual cost after rebates, discounts, etc. Further, generics account for about 90% of the volume. Like each category, savings can be attained. However, pharmaceutical savings will not make much of a dent in driving down healthcare costs in the US.

https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statist...highlights.pdf

Old 06-19-2019, 12:05 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The ACA mandates minimum loss ratios. What that means is that a health insurance company MUST pay out a minimum of (usually) 85% of the premiums it takes in as claims. The other 15% must cover everything else- CEO salaries, compensation and benefits for everyone else, advertising, agent commissions and..yes...profit, including any shareholder dividends. If they pay out less than that they must issue a dividend to policyholders. If they pay out MORE... well, tough luck.

So, the private insurance business is pretty much "cost-plus". They're passing on the cost of claims, plus a fairly modest markup (compared to, say retail stores and restaurants) onto their policyholders.

I agree with minimum loss ratios but we need to get at the root of the other 85% of the premium.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:16 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Of course there is. But I pointed out that pizza==loads of cheese, and cheese is a relative newcomer to the American diet - from a minor ingredient and upscale snack to, well, I don't think there are any cheese-flavored breakfast cereals yet. It may be the single most prominent factor in US portion/calorie size and obesity increase. Pizza is just the most egregious example; burgers with more calories in the cheese than from the meat are another. Cheese all over salads (both as grated stuff and loaded into dressings). Cheese sticks by the dozen as snack food.

And we've been convinced that it's somehow a good thing, a natural food, something to be heaped on everything except - so far - ice cream and cereal. When there are few substances in the kitchen with a higher calorie density, except maybe for butter. (Which is likely 'healthy' margarine sitting atop the block of cheddar.)

Oh, and my goodness does it slam both the fat and salt buttons of our hindbrains.

The Budweiser argument doesn't work here, either. That most people eat cheese and many aren't fat is not a convincing argument. So yes, I think you did miss the point in making your point.
Nope. All that is irrelevant to my post. I understand you are trying to get your own points in...as always. . They just have nothing to do with what I stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics