Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,206 times

Advertisements

You same don't get mad but I have email my cobb county teachers every other day and they have my 12 yrs in a class that he can't keep up. I went to the school and told the teacher he is an IEP and where is your paper work. Now tell me this social studies teacher call and say he is a D student. That not fair to my child. His IQ is a 70 and the kids in class IQ 100 108 so now what can I do

Old 09-16-2011, 07:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda009 View Post
You same don't get mad but I have email my cobb county teachers every other day and they have my 12 yrs in a class that he can't keep up. I went to the school and told the teacher he is an IEP and where is your paper work. Now tell me this social studies teacher call and say he is a D student. That not fair to my child. His IQ is a 70 and the kids in class IQ 100 108 so now what can I do
If his IQ is 70, you need to be realistic in your expectations. Perhaps he needs special classes instead of the average ones *if* he really does have that low of an IQ.

Have you considered a tutor for him? What accommodations are on his IEP?

Old 09-17-2011, 07:34 AM

632 posts, read 1,517,863 times
Not sure if this student is elementary or secondary....I am grading this weekend and don't have time to read all of the posts.

I teach secondary and I have 37 IEP's to read this weekend....and be certain I know ALL accomodations for these students while they are in my classroom. Most of the IEP's have 6 - 13 accomodations.

I'm not complaining; I believe mainstreaming works for students. AND I love my job. Perhaps I'm just explaining why this teacher hasn't yet read the IEP.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

Second, it makes no sense to know there is an IEP (even if unread the first day or two of school) and then write someone up for "inattention". Additionally, I (and the majority of teachers at my school) do not begin instruction the first few days. Therefore there are no issues with not implementing any accommodations for instruction.
I gave up expecting things in this school system to make sense long ago. My current bar is set somewhere between "not completely ludicrous" and "at least it's not dangerous to life and limb".

Old 09-20-2011, 04:43 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times
I just take my IEPs and burn them. I got enough paperwork to keep up with. Or maybe I'll take my IEPs and print worksheets on the back side of them. We are really low on paper with all the cutbacks. Or maybe during an ARD grab the IEP and scream "here's what I think of your IEP" while ripping it up and scattering it across the conference table. I would consider these "hostile".

If you want to really reach the teacher and have concerns about your child's accommodations, just e-mail or call the teacher and tell them to make sure to do so and so. Something this subtle does grab the teacher's attention and will get them to take a 1st or a 2nd look at the IEP.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:39 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,825 times
[This is not about true SPED students, but] How on earth did we manage back when we were in school,
without all our special-snowflake needs catered to?

Old 09-21-2011, 01:14 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
[This is not about true SPED students, but] How on earth did we manage back when we were in school,
Back in the day, we weren't told that every child was expected to go to college. Instead of being forced into a one-size-fits-all mold of three years of math (through Algebra II), three years of Science (through Chemistry), and three years of a foreign language (all of which require passing a state-mandated end-of-course exam), students were offered classes that allowed them to begin jobs/careers right out of high school. In fact, students could drop OUT of high school and still get a well-paying job as a factory worker or other blue collar occupation.

There's more hand-holding now because the expectations are different.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Not all kids were deemed deserving of the same free and appropriate public education afforded to many...just the ones who didn't represent significant teaching challenges.

Thankfully, that's been legally changed.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:53 PM

100 posts, read 222,633 times
As a phys ed teacher I can tell you we dont know who is in our classes until the day before school. We then spend the day going over IEPs with the case manager. I have approx 250 students. We are bombarded with all kinds of things the first couple weeks of school. Meetings with the case manager, meetings with the nurse, paperwork etc. Believe it or not Id say 1/4 of EACH class has children with something that we need to know. IMO we do the very best we can. I am still having my schedule changed - even today b/c we JUST gt a doctors note that was written a while ago about having a special 1:1 phys ed class! I would honestly say the best way to make sure the teacher know whats important is to write them a special note.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:12 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,466 times
I'm just on the first page, but I can tell you my personal experience with IEPs, and it can be construed as hostile. We moved OH to FL with the military. We had a really strong IEP in OH, and when we came down here in May, we brought the IEP, we met with the Exception Student Education faculty. We were told in MAY that my son was going to be in a mainstreamed classroom with an aid. Fast forward to SEPTEMBER, the school is still NOT in compliance with the IEP. It has gotten to the point where the principle, the ESE staffers will not return our phone calls. My son is starting to regress, because he NEEDS an aid, and the school put him in a self contained classroom with 7 other significantly delayed children (all ranging from K-2d grade). My husband went TDY, and now that he is gone, they are wanting to change the IEP to take away the aid and place him in the self contained classroom. So yeah, schools do low ball things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education