Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 11:43 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If an electronic device comes out in class that is not an adaptive device (I have some nonverbal students who use adaptive/augmentative communication devices to speak), it becomes mine until the end of the day. We do not have any policies in place that allow for students keeping cell phones in class.
I TRY to do this but I find that kids are very good at sneaking them out while I'm lecturing. When my daughter was in my class, she'd tell me, after class, that certain kids were texting the whole hour. I find kids are good at hiding what they're doing. I catch the obvious ones but, as a friend once told me, for every one you catch, 5 got away with it and they know the odds. If I see them or hear them (and can locate them before they stop sounding), I take them away but I'm certain kids get away with texting in class because I'm busy doing a demo or into what I'm teaching.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:55 AM

74 posts, read 566,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I don't fully blame the teachers for these issues. But whatever is going on, our entire system needs to change now. Especially to stay competitive with the future. I also really think we need to quit telling our children that they need to go to college and get a degree. I think we need to train a high skilled work force.
For those jobs that no longer exist?

Old 09-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed118 View Post
THIS is the problem. What we need is an adaptable workforce and that means they need a broad education even if they DON'T go to college!!!

I read, somewhere, that a high school grad today can expect to have 13 different jobs in their lifetime. So, the LAST thing we want to do is train them to do one job because that job may not be here in just a few years!!!!

Old 09-17-2011, 12:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I TRY to do this but I find that kids are very good at sneaking them out while I'm lecturing. When my daughter was in my class, she'd tell me, after class, that certain kids were texting the whole hour. I find kids are good at hiding what they're doing. I catch the obvious ones but, as a friend once told me, for every one you catch, 5 got away with it and they know the odds. If I see them or hear them (and can locate them before they stop sounding), I take them away but I'm certain kids get away with texting in class because I'm busy doing a demo or into what I'm teaching.
I have small classes, so my kids aren't really able to be sneaky enough to hide ANYthing. It's immediately obvious.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have small classes, so my kids aren't really able to be sneaky enough to hide ANYthing. It's immediately obvious.
My classes aren't particularly large (20-26) but my kids sit at lab tables and unless I bend down or walk directly behind a student, I can't see under them and those acts give them plenty of time to tuck the phone between their legs. I need glass tables .

I've given up policing except for the worst offenders. Some kids get SO into texting they forget where they are, then I can sneak up on them and ask for the phone. Unfortunately, I know more get away with texting in class than I catch. I often suspect a student is texting but they'll deny it if I ask them. All I can do is something like call on them and ask them to repeat what I just said and even that isn't much because it's kind of a badge of honor to have gotten away with texting in class. It just lets them know they're on my radar but that means I'm not watching the rest of the class as closely so someone else will start texting.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:01 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,060 times
The article is about student test scores. I didn't see anything about teachers getting low test scores. Maybe students have had it too easy for so long and we need to have a crack down with a stricter discipline policy in place. Maybe more drastic measures for students not making the cut.

I've worked in districts where state assessment scores were in the 40-60% passing rate and my current district where it averages about 95-97%. The teachers are the same, in fact, I thought the ones in the higher district were actually not quite as good as my old school. The ones who are different are the students. The scores for my students shot up 20% just switching to a higher income district with more white people. Am I a better teacher now?

Old 09-17-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
The article is about student test scores. I didn't see anything about teachers getting low test scores. Maybe students have had it too easy for so long and we need to have a crack down with a stricter discipline policy in place. Maybe more drastic measures for students not making the cut.

I've worked in districts where state assessment scores were in the 40-60% passing rate and my current district where it averages about 95-97%. The teachers are the same, in fact, I thought the ones in the higher district were actually not quite as good as my old school. The ones who are different are the students. The scores for my students shot up 20% just switching to a higher income district with more white people. Am I a better teacher now?
Of course, there's something in the air that improved your teaching....

I had the same experience going from one school to the next. Nothing about me changed. What changed was my students. I have nothing to do with the difference in test scores between the two schools.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:32 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed118 View Post
Actually, on CBS nightly news they do segments on the problems of finding skilled workers. How certain companies are struggling to find people.

I have seen companies struggle with this, including my own.

We need to work on it, there is no reason we cannot get back into this.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Actually, on CBS nightly news they do segments on the problems of finding skilled workers. How certain companies are struggling to find people.

Define "skilled" WRT those jobs. I think you'll find they mean adaptable. We had trouble finding "skilled" workers in the lab I worked in too. Most applicants couldn't think their way out of a cardboard box. They wanted a job they were taught to do and did the same thing over and over and over.... We needed people who could reinvent their job in time. The job did not require a degree but we needed people with good math and spacial skills who could think critically and logically.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:41 AM

973 posts, read 1,704,982 times
Originally Posted by MustangEater82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Define "skilled" WRT those jobs. I think you'll find they mean adaptable. We had trouble finding "skilled" workers in the lab I worked in too. Most applicants couldn't think their way out of a cardboard box. They wanted a job they were taught to do and did the same thing over and over and over.... We needed people who could reinvent their job in time. The job did not require a degree but we needed people with good math and spacial skills who could think critically and logically.
I have seen those reports too. The one report I saw was for factory jobs, but the owner couldn't find anyone with the math skills needed to run the equipment! And that is one area where we are lacking, and I really do not know why when most states reqire 3 years of math. OH, yes I do know why, as most kids do not see the RELEVANCE in taking those upper classes seriously or remembering what they learned! But too, I really feel that the way most of our states teach math is behind what other countries are doing; it is almost like they are MAKING our children hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education