Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:34 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Actually,regardless of what you believe, the products from Apple that are being increasingly used as adaptive communication devices for nonverbal students with special needs are soaring in prescription, and there's a very good reason. They are MUCH less costly than the previous models available to kids with these disabilities.

We're talking an iPad that does the same thing as the previously used adaptive electronic device for a few hundred bucks instead of several thousand. I'm no huge Apple fan in general, but when it gives a kid who can't speak a voice at a cost that's FAR more affordable to his or her family, I have to applaud. In some cases, families provide adaptive devices. In some cases, districts do. In the cases where districts are footing the bill, it's absolutely in everyone's best interest to get the most bang for the buck, and money that's saved by going the iPad route for communicative devices is money that can be put to other uses to meet kids' needs. Why spend more than you have to when there is now a product that's just as good and cheaper? If it gets damaged, as is often the case, given that many nonverbal students, particularly those with autism, may exhibit behavior that could damage the device, it's also much less costly to replace or repair.

Do you know any kids who are mute? It's not a matter of "Gee, I think this iPad is really cool." It's a matter of, "Wow, I can communicate with others without somebody having to spend thousands upon thousands upon thousands of (often taxpayer) dollars for a machine that will talk for me, and, bonus, it looks socially "normal," so can participate in society without looking completely out of place, like I used to look carrying my PECS book around on a string around my neck and communicating with people in pictures, or relying solely on gestures that may or may not be understood. I just look like any other kid out in public, carrying a tablet."
That's all well and good, but we are not talking about the few, we are talking about the masses, and the masses DO NOT require these devices in class. I would never take away a means of communications for a disabled child. No one is saying that, we are talking in generals, not specific cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 10:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
That's all well and good, but we are not talking about the few, we are talking about the masses, and the masses DO NOT require these devices in class. I would never take away a means of communications for a disabled child. No one is saying that, we are talking in generals, not specific cases.
I believe AACDs (including iPads with AACD apps) were ONLY brought up in the context of disabled students with individualized education plans, though.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Yes, I was going to mention that as a SPED teacher, I specifically worked with students to learn how to use a cell phone.

As a reg ed teacher, I would make it a point system, like if the cell phone rings during class, 10 points off your grade.

I would never take a cell phone, I would not want the responsibility.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:52 AM

402 posts, read 589,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You seriously don't get how school districts work in terms of autistic children. Some districts are excellent and do whatever they need to do, but many do not. The district the person you replied to is not in compliance with her current IEP because they don't want to pay for an aide. This tends to be a big problem in districts where funding has been cut severely. It is also a fact that many districts get away with noncompliance because parents don't know their rights or don't have money for advocates and lawyers.

The Ipad is actually perfectly suited to the classroom when used by knowledgeable teachers and it is MUCH less expensive than most of the hardware and software the district could buy.
Like I mentioned before, my father was superintendent of schools. I know the deal. But like you said, parents just don't know their rights. That's the real issue. so I know how school systems are supposed to operate. It's up to the parent to make sure that this kind of thing is done. I don't understand it when parents don't push the issue anyway. Parents are quick to complain about schools but fail to be proactive in knowing their rights.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:57 AM

402 posts, read 589,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The products that schools use are often way more expensive than an Ipad and the apps that are provided free or very inexpensively are often better now than those on the expensive devices.

My grandson had a dynavox which was too heavy to carry around and which did not have the capabilities his iPad has. The school, however, will not allow him to bring his Ipad and they have had a consult which claims he does not need a technological aide for his communication. Unfortunately, they don't really understand why he needs this. It has to do with speech that is not easily understood and being very frustrated when they don't understand him.
So what does that tell you? If a professional made that assessment, then it seems to me that the IPad ISN'T necessary for his communication. I can understand use at home. But not at school. Not to mention the numerous other issues that can arise from it.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:41 AM

572 posts, read 1,299,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
How this came up is the question was asked to take away phones, I said that my son has a iPod touch/iPad that he uses for communication, and that according to the IEP he needed it, but I'm fine if the masses have their phones taken away. Some children need this type of adaptive technology. Deepimpact2, said that children don't need iPads or any other Apple technology whether they had autism, or not. Some posters and myself were explaining to Deepimpact2 that, Apple products have the same technology of adaptive communication devises only instead of costing around $10K, they cost about $700-1,000.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
So what does that tell you? If a professional made that assessment, then it seems to me that the IPad ISN'T necessary for his communication. I can understand use at home. But not at school. Not to mention the numerous other issues that can arise from it.
Why would a school district pay 20K for a Dynavox when they can pay a well under a grand for an iPad that does more for the student? Students who require AACDs are likely to be overwhelmingly going that route for cost alone, unless the companies that Apple's undercutting step it up but quickly.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
How this came up is the question was asked to take away phones, I said that my son has a iPod touch/iPad that he uses for communication, and that according to the IEP he needed it, but I'm fine if the masses have their phones taken away. Some children need this type of adaptive technology. Deepimpact2, said that children don't need iPads or any other Apple technology whether they had autism, or not. Some posters and myself were explaining to Deepimpact2 that, Apple products have the same technology of adaptive communication devises only instead of costing around $10K, they cost about $700-1,000.
Yep, the question originally posed was if it should be allowable for teachers to collect various tech gadgets. What some are saying is that they believe that, yes, schools should have the right to restrict or disallow completely tech usage at their discretion, except in the obvious case where a disabled student has been prescribed various technology for adaptive purposes.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
It tells me that they don't want to spend the money. They would have to provide the device since the school won't allow the parents to buy anything and send it in.

What issues do you think arise from using something like this in first grade?

Old 09-26-2011, 08:31 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
To get back to the OP, I believe that the rules for cell phone use would make more sense if teachers had kids put the devices out on the corner of their desks as someone else suggested. Cell phones should not be used in class, but teachers should not have to police them by taking them away.

I could see a pocket system where all kids would deposit their phones in a hanging pocket calculator storage bin like this one:

Amazon.com: Learning Resources Calculator Storage Pocket Chart (LER0056): Office Products

Each student could have a number and that would be their pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education