Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
They can meet the parents just as easily at school to get to 'know' the parents and give them first hand info about themselves as well.
Many schools are in neighborhoods or cities where transportation issues make it very hard for some parent's get to school. Also, many parents do not come to back to school night or other events where it is a group of parents and one teacher because they see no point. Meeting in a child's home allows for a level of personal communication that is just not possible at most school events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 04:14 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I just saw this thread and it reminded me of something that happened years ago . I went to my son's teachers home and it was filthy and clutered and smelled like the garbage had not been taken out for a week . she tried to spray lysol and stuff but really it could not be taken away . I was shocked to say the least and she had kids !!! No I did not report her she was just overwhelmed and this poor woman needed her job . So that runs both ways . I agree I would not like any teacher coming to my home to check out how clean my home is or how the laundry is done etc ... Is there any way to opt out of this ? if there was I would i feel that is an invasion of privacy .

Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Sorry but the analogy is not apt.
Ok then, forget the analogy. If a group such as the one the OP referenced said, "Teachers should open up their homes for parent/teacher meetings" would you do it? Would you be willing to have parents see how you live?

Sorry. Sometimes my curiosity just kind of takes over and I start wondering about these things. It's a very interesting thread.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm not sure you understood the spirit behind my post but....

A question. (Open to any teacher who cares to respond.) How would you feel about having parents come to your private residence for conferences? Because we can turn this around. A teacher wants to visit a student's home to see if there are any impediments to his learning. How about parents visiting the teacher's home to see if there is anything that will affect his/her ability to teach?
I would have no problem with that provided that it was only one family at a time. I could not do 20 conferences in a day in my home. I doubt too that this is what parents want to see by meeting the teacher.

When I did teach near my home, the parents where parents of my children's friends and did come to my home once in a while though not for conferences.

I would not be judging parents at their homes, btw. I would be looking to see if there were ways I could help their child.

Tell me whether you think that Jaime Escalante was wrong to go to his student's homes and to actually badger parents to let them participate in advanced classes? That is what he did with several of his students in the first year. It's also why he ended up having a heart attack from the amount of work he did.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Tell me whether you think that Jaime Escalante was wrong to go to his student's homes and to actually badger parents to let them participate in advanced classes? That is what he did with several of his students in the first year. It's also why he ended up having a heart attack from the amount of work he did.
I've been thinking about that since you mentioned his name in another post. In that partiular situation, students and families in East L.A., I'd say probably not.

God rest his soul. He was one of a kind.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:53 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Ok then, forget the analogy. If a group such as the one the OP referenced said, "Teachers should open up their homes for parent/teacher meetings" would you do it? Would you be willing to have parents see how you live?

Sorry. Sometimes my curiosity just kind of takes over and I start wondering about these things. It's a very interesting thread.
For me it's not a "tit for tat" situation. I think it is intrusive for the school to evaluate my home environment. Period.

Being able to evaluate the teacher's home environment does not take away the invasion of privacy that I would feel in such a situation. It is also not my business how the teacher lives. She is paid to do a job and she should do it. What she does in her own home is not my business.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:39 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:

Probably not, but then I also would not participate if my daughters teachers wanted to come to my house. But it IS voluntary.

I do not think the entire program should end just because some of us do not want to participate.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
The only time I've ever heard of this is during the nursery school years. My sons' teachers did come to introduce themselves and meet the boys prior to the school year. I never felt anything nefarious was going on, and it did help with the initial adjustment for the kids.

Once k-12 came around, there was never any kind of a home visit, except for the teachers who were actually neighbors and came to drop off work when one child or another was sick.

I wouldn't campaign for the idea, personally, but more because it seems like an added burden on the teachers. I have nothing to hide, and I'm sure most people don't. I just don't think teachers should have to travel to meet the parents, instead of the other way around.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:13 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Not to me. It is a right the Supreme Court of the United States has told me I am entitled to and I cherish it.
Given I have ZERO things to hide from anyone, and given this value is more likely to create a sense of isolation in society than one of happiness...it feels overrated to me; especially when applied to real people in real communities and not just to bureaucratic entities.

Do I want the government watching my every move? No.

Do I want to get across to every real person in my community that "I value my privacy thank you very much so stay away?" No again.

But yes, that's just me. I'd have those teachers over any day - and maybe we might even connect at a personal level.
Everyone else in my family would be better off for it.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
But yes, that's just me. I'd have those teachers over any day - and maybe we might even connect at a personal level.
Everyone else in my family would be better off for it.
And in the United States you have the right to say, "Yes, I'll participate!" or "No. Stay off my lawn!". Ain't America grand? Gosh, I love having that choice.

BTW and OT: The Supreme Court heard arguments on another Right to Privacy case yesterday. It involved strip searches. Fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education