Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The trend of very low pants on guys left here way back when I was still in high school. It isn't seen as much.
Are you kidding? I see that at church!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I am speechless by your statement.

Older women frown because they were raised in a time when children were not advertising for sexual predators.

In my freshmen year of college I used to wear short shorts until one day in the library a weird older guy followed me around. I noticed he was looking at me so I moved. A few minutes later he strolled to where I was at. Again I moved. Again he followed. I asked one of my friends to drive me somewhere before going home. Who knows what could have happened if I hadn't noticed him and he had followed to the bus to see where I lived.

Since you do not care the attention your daughter is attracting, I hope you at least teach her to be aware of possible rapists around her.
I am probably older than many of you posting on this board, and I remember when skirts got VERY short. I became aware of this when I went to college, as my high school was fairly conservative. However, I can tell you, my HS had its share of "have to" marriages, so it's not just the clothes that lead to sex. It's not like we've just turned into Soddom and Gomorrah overnight. In re: to the incident above, it might well have been something besides the short shorts that made this guy follow you. Men don't rape women b/c of what they're wearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 09:51 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,752,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
Preach it sista'! Hahaha. Unfortunately, these are the types of parents who probably aren't making their kids aware of how prevalent these predators are. My mom and my aunt made me paranoid about them, literally. ahaha
I unfortunately learned about them when I was 12. He probably thought I was going to be submissive and when I wasn't he let me go without hurting me physically. Emotionally was another story. It happened while I was out of town so when I got back home all of a sudden I saw all the boys I had grown up with differently. My innocence was gone. I also lived in fear for years.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:35 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Are you kidding? I see that at church!

I am probably older than many of you posting on this board, and I remember when skirts got VERY short. I became aware of this when I went to college, as my high school was fairly conservative. However, I can tell you, my HS had its share of "have to" marriages, so it's not just the clothes that lead to sex. It's not like we've just turned into Soddom and Gomorrah overnight. In re: to the incident above, it might well have been something besides the short shorts that made this guy follow you. Men don't rape women b/c of what they're wearing.
You may see it at church, but I'm just saying it's not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago. Remember that the trends start here in CA. They also leave here way before other places. When we were in IL for a few months I was shocked at what they still wore. At Mass I don't so much so guys dressed inappropriately. Well, I don't see many teen boys at all. However, I do see girls who are dressed disgustingly, especially for Mass.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:04 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,068,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I worked at a private school for a couple years, and it had a very strict (and strictly-enforced) dress code. Boys had to wear belts and their slacks could NOT hang low. Once in a while, one of the lads would come to school with his boxers showing and he would be promptly ushered into an Administrator's office where he was given a pair of bright red suspenders to wear for the remainder of the school day. It was rare that a boy forgot his belt twice .....
I'm all in favor of uniforms, but when that doesn't fly, at least an enforced dress code is in order.

Studies have proven that kids do better when uniforms are required because it takes that element of conflict and competition out of the equation.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Our daughter's school (private) has a strict dress code, and clothing comes from a local uniform shop so there are no issues or options. On the weekends I couldnt care less what she wears, she is sensible enough to make her own choices, and quite frankly living in FL where its hot most of the time, I don't blame her for wearing minis and such. I've seen older women raise a brow and to that I give them a dirty look, its usually women who are too out of shape to get away with such clothes!
And you don't mind that old men gawk at your daughter? I'm sure you are proud that your daughter looks good in those skimpy clothes, but I'm CERTAIN that men think she does as well.

Not the respectable men, I mean the men who look at a young girl and see her as sexual bait.

I mean the men who masturbate while looking at young girls looking good in a mini skirt or short shorts and tiny top.

I mean the men who will follow a girl so they are able to keep looking.

You are delusional if you think it's the older women that are the only people looking at your daughter. I doubt very much that they are looking at her with envy. The older, more out or shape women might be thinking why doesn't that mother make sure that child is covered up enough so men don't look and see her as sexual bait and a potential rape victim.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:42 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,804 times
I'm with you stormy. I do end up giving some dirty looks to females dressed inappropriately. However, I'm not old. I'm only 22. Well, I don't give them dirty looks that they can see. I just don't see how females can dress that way. It boggles my mind. You know, it gets pretty hot here in the CA desert, too, and I don't dress like a hooker. It isn't necessary. I have found that just below knee skirts in the right material are very nice to wear in summer. That way the heat isn't beating down on your legs like it would if you were wearing a short skirt or shorts.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:49 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Ah, finally a reason for our long cold winters! I've kind of forgotten what a short skirt looks like.

My son goes to a fairly affluent HS in a semi-rural area. Those real baggy pants are the extreme and not the norm. The norm is pretty much what it was when I went to school 30 years ago - jeans and a t-shirt. In the winter the guys add a sweatshirt, the girls usually have cuter shirts and some cleavage when it's warmer out, but we do have an enforced dress code and it seems to help. No spaghetti strap shirts, no bare mid-riffs, underwear cannot be showing, and the skirts are supposed to be a certain length. In the middle school, the office keeps a supply of oversize t-shirts that they make the girls wear over their shirts if they come to school dressed inappropriately. Wearing one of those shirts for a day is all it takes.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
And you don't mind that old men gawk at your daughter? I'm sure you are proud that your daughter looks good in those skimpy clothes, but I'm CERTAIN that men think she does as well.

<snip>

The older, more out or shape women might be thinking why doesn't that mother make sure that child is covered up enough so men don't look and see her as sexual bait and a potential rape victim.
Old men gawk at young women no matter what they are wearing. I'm all for dressing appropriately, and have posted so, but girls do not get raped because they wear provacative clothing.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I'm with you stormy. I do end up giving some dirty looks to females dressed inappropriately. However, I'm not old. I'm only 22. Well, I don't give them dirty looks that they can see. I just don't see how females can dress that way. It boggles my mind. You know, it gets pretty hot here in the CA desert, too, and I don't dress like a hooker. It isn't necessary. I have found that just below knee skirts in the right material are very nice to wear in summer. That way the heat isn't beating down on your legs like it would if you were wearing a short skirt or shorts.
There's a lot to be said for self respect and good sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
... the office keeps a supply of oversize t-shirts that they make the girls wear over their shirts if they come to school dressed inappropriately. Wearing one of those shirts for a day is all it takes.
What a great idea. More schools should take that lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Old men gawk at young women no matter what they are wearing. I'm all for dressing appropriately, and have posted so, but girls do not get raped because they wear provacative clothing.
Provocative: Serving to provoke or excite.
Provoke: To stir up on purpose; to call forth, evoke.
(According to Webster)
I'd say wearing provocative clothing indeed is looking to arouse and excite men. I have seen men follow young girls and young women dressed provocatively.

http://www.usu.edu/saavi/pdf/myths_facts.pdf (broken link)

My apologies. Rape itself is not one of the results. I stand corrected. However, I do stand by the remainder of my point.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:25 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
My daughter is in high school where there is a strict dress code...no spaghetti straps, tank tops, camis, etc. unless covered by a shrug. Skirts/dresses/shorts with hemlines below the tip of your middle finger when your arms are extended on your side...no exceptions even when wearing tights or leggings. No low slung jeans. No jackets, hats nor sunglasses in classrooms (all stay in the lockers). No tops that show belly skin. No baggy pants for boys. No T-shirts with alcohol/drugs/guns logo or anything with sexual or political overtones. Penalties include being sent home with an unexcused absence and a warning.

My daughter is only allowed to wear short shorts inside the house and at the beach. She's not allowed to walk around the neighborhood (even to the swimming pool) in short shorts. Once she cut an old pair of jeans to wear as shorts and it came out too short. My husband asked her to take them off, and he tossed them into the big trash bin. Needless to say, she didn't waste any more jeans cut that short. The same fate will meet any tight jeans or shorts that show camel toes or tops that expose muffin tops. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education