Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:30 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,708,271 times

Advertisements

Wow...we had dress codes.

Skirts could be no shorter than 3" above the knee.

Shorts had to be Bermuda/walking length - which is amazing considering those hideous POLY unitards we had to wear for PE were hot-bottomed.

No roach clips in the hair (that was high school...)

Seems there was a cleavage rule, too.

I can't believe I, normally promoting individualism, am FOR standard uniforms...but I am. It was bad enough in my day, but now the clothing competition and lack of discretion is just ridiculous.

The 'accessories police' crawl up my...well...PC is far-reaching. Ahem. Simply because it should not have to come to this.

Does anybody remember when a sneaker was just a freakin' shoe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 01:38 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,068,082 times
33458, I was reminiscing about shoe shopping when I was young (Your comment about shoes just being shoes.). We lived in the country and there weren't many options for shopping even when we went into town. We were lucky when we had a choice between 3 or 4 pair in our size, and no one wore sneakers unless they were in gym class or sports, then the options were those low white sneakers for girls, and Keds or Converse high tops for boys.

Things have gotten so loose in the last years that people just care to have to make the effort to adhere to, or enforce a dress code. Kids wear most anything they want, and parents don't stop them. Administrators just turn their heads because it is too much of a fight to enforce restrictions on the clothes kids wear.

It won't surprise me a bit if in the next two or three years, boys start taking off their shirts in school in June and August when it's very hot.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:05 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,664 times
I have no idea what goes through kid's minds these days. School is for learning, and yes, making friends, but coming to school in a skirt up to your crotch and a tube top will just make you the wrong type of friends!

Old 04-12-2009, 07:03 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
I have no idea what goes through kid's minds these days. School is for learning, and yes, making friends, but coming to school in a skirt up to your crotch and a tube top will just make you the wrong type of friends!
Not if your looking for a hot date on Friday night. School is the core of social life for many kids and unfortunately for some is their Happy Hour time to shop for their weekend. What is the quarterback looking for in a date? Do girls dress more or less skimpy when it becomes time for Homecoming and Prom dates to be asked out?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:57 AM

It's clear that dressing the way kids do these days isn't for comfort. The girls are continuously checking skirts to make sure they aren't caught on butts or panties because they are so short, they are constantly adjusting spaghetti straps on too-tiny-tops, and sitting at desks like they are being stuffed into a tube for fear of skirts riding up too far. Boys walk with their legs so far apart they look like they are riding a horse, and they constantly reach back to make sure their shirt meets the pants below the butt.

All of them act so self conscious, why do they dress like that? Style is one thing, but when it competes for attention (And by attention, I mean the kid has to pay as much attention to keeping their clothes in the right places as they do to what they are doing.) with everything else teens do at school, to me it wouldn't be worth it.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:25 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,835,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I'm all in favor of uniforms...
Studies have proven that kids do better when uniforms are required...
I agree.

All students, regardless of gender, should dress the same.
And they should all wear hats with the American flag on them.
Freshmen would have one stripe on their shoulders, Sophmores would have two, and so on.
Students who excelled in their studies would get ribbons and medals which they could display above their right breast pocket.
Students in athletic programs would be issued night sticks and would serve as hall monitors and classroom peace keepers.

If we want to have an ordered, organized society, we have to start with the kids.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I agree.

All students, regardless of gender, should dress the same.
And they should all wear hats with the American flag on them.
Freshmen would have one stripe on their shoulders, Sophmores would have two, and so on.
Students who excelled in their studies would get ribbons and medals which they could display above their right breast pocket.
Students in athletic programs would be issued night sticks and would serve as hall monitors and classroom peace keepers.

If we want to have an ordered, organized society, we have to start with the kids.
Real clever comeback, but school uniforms have been around for generations, centuries even. It removes the competition, beating, bullying, and cost of wearing clothes for social stature.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:24 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,052,389 times
I used to think that I preferred the school uniforms route, too, until my kids attended a school that required school uniforms. I'm really glad they don't go to that school anymore...

Old 04-13-2009, 02:41 PM

45,421 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Uniforms are a pain, just one more thing teachers have to police. Our kids have to have polo shirts with no logo unless it's the school seal, many of the generics have a little butterfly or something. Kid has that on, goes to ISS. The girls pin the backs to tighten the shirt up, on to ISS. Black non-jean pants, if not, on to ISS. Khaki, non cord pant, again, if not, on to ISS. Whereupon the Administrator sends the kid back to class with the notation the kid is cleared to remain in class. The next day, in comes the Administrator and writes a disciplinary note on the teacher if any of the kids are wearing what was ok the day before. Also, kids now need 2 outfits a day-one for school and one for home and yet the propaganda is that uniforms will save money. except the sponsoring vendors are more expensive. As far as "studies" go showing that uniform schools have improved test scores, most of those schools studied were urban, poor schools that implemented other programs in addition to uniforms. The very limited studies from middle class schools show static scores.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:31 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,317,444 times
I think kids should wear uniforms. This deals with many other worse issues from gangs to teachers have to deal with a sometimes uncomfortable situation. In the work place they will have dress codes or need to dress nice. I believe it helps prepare the kids and teachs them to care about their appearance when in the presence of those who who employ them, clients, ect. Too many kids I know entering the work force complain about work dress code and will do whatever they can to bend the rules. However, if they've been doing this all their life, they would better know about the variety of clothing options available to fit within those requirements and would be able to find clothes that they liked within those parameters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education