Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:07 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,318 times

Advertisements

I take my 15 year old daughter to school (She's a part time sophomore) and see kids getting out of cars and I'm so amused. Some of the girls wear VERY short skirts and shorts (we're talking micro), a lot of the boys wear their pants so far down they need to keep their legs apart to keep the pants up.

Since we're in a cold climate, students went to school pretty well covered up during the winter, but now that it's warmed up into the 40's, they are going half naked (girls), and the boys are either wearing shorts and flip flops, or their pants down to their knees.

What ever happened to dress codes? How do kids go to school in your home town?

I might add, my daughter is painfully modest and is always well covered, even around the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 02:24 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,597 times
I don't spend too much time around the high school yet, since my kids are elementary and middle school age. I haven't seen anything too bad there, except I do get a kick out of the boys that wear bright red or green skinny jeans!

Something that I have always wondered about was, at least in my experience, why there is a dress code in elementary and middle school (three fingers width of shirt sleeves, no shorts above where your hand would rest at your side, etc.), but there is none once you get to high school?!? It would seem that they wouldn't worry about as much when you "have nothing to show", but try to cover up a little more when you have developed more!

Old 04-07-2009, 02:49 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
There are dress codes in high school. The problem starts when administrators cave to parents complaining of unfair enforcement, or what one admin says is ok another says isn't, or when teachers enforce and the said admins won't back the teacher and say the dress code is a teacher call.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:54 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Our high school has a dress code. The kids tend to dress preppy anyway, lots of polos and khakis. Hair has started to be a bit longer on the boys, I've noticed. I wanted my son to shave and get a haircut, but he resisted. I figured the football coach would demand it anyway, so I didn't make a big fuss. The football coach ended up encouraging the kids not to cut their hair until after the season. He thought it made them look more intimidating!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:35 PM

The distraction factor is in play when a girl wears shorts or skirts up to her hiney. The boys cause a distraction when they wear pants so low that their underwear shows and you can see their crack when they bend over.

I think admin. and teachers feel they have lost the war and have given up.

Those skinny jeans are AWFUL on boys. It's either one extreme or the other.

When I was in school, boys had to have their hair cut above the collar and ears. They could wear jeans, but not blue jeans. Any other color was ok. Girls couldn't wear pants until I was a junior. There weren't any tank tops, speghetti straps, micro shorts or skirts, or baggy or skin tight pants.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
The distraction factor is in play when a girl wears shorts or skirts up to her hiney. The boys cause a distraction when they wear pants so low that their underwear shows and you can see their crack when they bend over.

I think admin. and teachers feel they have lost the war and have given up.

Those skinny jeans are AWFUL on boys. It's either one extreme or the other.

When I was in school, boys had to have their hair cut above the collar and ears. They could wear jeans, but not blue jeans. Any other color was ok. Girls couldn't wear pants until I was a junior. There weren't any tank tops, speghetti straps, micro shorts or skirts, or baggy or skin tight pants.
Gosh, you must be almost as old as me! (That is a joke!) We girls weren't allowed to wear pants, but about 2 yrs later they became permissable. I think by that point skirts had gotten so short, that pants looked much better.

My kids are out of high school, but the year my youngest was a senior (2004-05) was a high point for the s l u t look, with the low-cut jeans, and short tops. I would not let her wear stuff that was quite that bad, but it was really hard to find jeans that weren't extremely low cut (except for the mom jeans that kids make fun of), and shirts/tops that weren't cropped. It seems that tops have gotten longer, from what my daughters are wearing, and other h.s age kids that I see.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:07 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,264,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I take my 15 year old daughter to school (She's a part time sophomore) and see kids getting out of cars and I'm so amused. Some of the girls wear VERY short skirts and shorts (we're talking micro), a lot of the boys wear their pants so far down they need to keep their legs apart to keep the pants up.

Since we're in a cold climate, students went to school pretty well covered up during the winter, but now that it's warmed up into the 40's, they are going half naked (girls), and the boys are either wearing shorts and flip flops, or their pants down to their knees.

What ever happened to dress codes? How do kids go to school in your home town?

I might add, my daughter is painfully modest and is always well covered, even around the house.
We have, at times, had to sit our daughter down and explain in detail what she is and is not to wear to school. This is usually just after she has tried to sneak out the door wearing something that is completely inappropriate in terms of being

1) a general fashion faux pas,
2) the wrong season (tank top and short shorts when it's 40F outside).
3) entirely too skimpy and generally not meeting the school dress code, and/or
4) way...way...overdressed (tried to wear Sunday-best dress).

I think every parent has probably been there with their daughter at some point in time.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:15 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,123,426 times
Dress codes are there, admin isn't enforcing it. I bet if you asked to see the parent\student handbook you would find it in there. I would be surprised if it isn't. If admin can't stand up to parents and students for dress code, imagine the backbone for something serious!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
My kids' high school had no dress code. They were working on it when the youngest was a senior, as I said, 2004-05. I remember getting an e-mail where they had a proposed statement about dressing "appropriately". I e-mailed the principal back, saying you had to tell these kids what appropriate is!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
Dress codes are there, admin isn't enforcing it. I bet if you asked to see the parent\student handbook you would find it in there. I would be surprised if it isn't. If admin can't stand up to parents and students for dress code, imagine the backbone for something serious!
Sad, but true. Parents hold the reigns in schools. If they don't like something, out it goes, including dress codes. Once a kid gets to school, there is little that can be done. If admin. tries to send an inappropriately dressed student home to change, the parents defend the student's right of 'free expression', or refuses to pick said student up to take him/her home to change. If admin. refused to bend and sent the kid to sit for the day in the office or detention, sooner or later the parent would make more of an effort to ensure the student went to school properly dressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My kids' high school had no dress code. They were working on it when the youngest was a senior, as I said, 2004-05. I remember getting an e-mail where they had a proposed statement about dressing "appropriately". I e-mailed the principal back, saying you had to tell these kids what appropriate is!
LOL, it's funny how kids think if they have certain parts at least partially covered, they're good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education