Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:32 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,248,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
I am not talking about a major disability but minor ones. It seems like at my brothers kids school it is chic to get a doctor to say you have countless learning disabilities. Nearly half the kids get some extra accomodation when it comes to tests and assignments. Once they enter the real world then they will learn the world is a tough place.

Exactly. I have hearing problems, I had to take a medical leave from graduate school, it came up in every interview.. Don't give anyone anything ot hold against you. They will...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 02:42 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,344,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
So how are you helping people by giving them more time when that's only likely to hurt them in the job market? Might as well learn the truth earlier, so you have more time to adapt.
We're starting to get into two different discussions here.

The OP was concerned about students getting extra time to complete tests.

The purpose of a test is to measure an individual's skill or ability in an area or to measure that student's knowledge in an area.

I've worked in a few different fields in my work career, and in none of them were tests a big part of my job.

This is the reason that student's are accommodated in taking the test. The student may very well be competent in the subject being measured by the test, but if taking the test poses a problem that's something that can and should be fixed.

After that it is up to the individual (just like any individual that does not have a disability) to apply for jobs that they will be successful at or risk losing that job.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:44 PM

The proof here should be in the pudding.

If individuals with disabilities are finding and retaining work that was unavailable to the them before these interventions were begun then it is absolutely the right thing to do.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,758,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
One field where I'm sure the consumer wouldn't mind is automechanics.. They are paid based how long the book says it should take. If you are faster, then you still get paid how much the book says it should take for the time, but if you're slower, then that's less time you could be working on another repair.
You are assuming that the person who needs extra time to take a written test will also need help while doing manual work. That is a big assumption.
Also most of the stuff we learned in school we will never use.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:51 PM

128 posts, read 404,157 times
The definition of success in most jobs is to complete tasks successfully in the shortest amount of time (TIME IS MONEY). If they are constantly getting help and extra time as a young person they are going to be shocked when the boss tells them to hurry up when they are in the adult work world. In the adult world it is sink or swim.

Many of the kids in the local High Schools getting this extra help are straight A students who expect to get to college and work in the professional world. They will be shocked when they attempt to prosper in the corporate office and the boss tells them that he needs that report by 4:00 PM today, no excuses! The young employee will tell the boss that in school due to his ADHD he was given an extra few hours to complete tests and assignments. What will the demanding boss say?

Last edited by Tough Questions; 04-30-2010 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 02:56 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,758,314 times
Quote:
The definition of success in most jobs is to complete tasks successfully in the shortest amount of time (TIME IS MONEY). If they are constantly getting help and extra time as a young person they are going to be shocked when the boss tells them to hurry up when they are in the adult work world. In the adult world it is sink or swim.
Who says a person that needs extra help on a test needs extra help doing all jobs?

Old 04-30-2010, 03:01 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,250,929 times
Quote:
When I was in High School in the 1980s if you had some type of mental disability you just struggled. There were no accommodations at all that I could remember. Now my brother's sons are given all this extra time because they paid a mental heath professional to say they have all these disabilities. They have so called mental disabilities that I have never heard of. They seem perfectly normal to me. So they get more time to take tests and complete assignments they claim they have ADHD, dyslexia and a few other things I do not remember.

Now that they are going into college they are getting special accommodations to take the SAT test. Both of them get like twice as long as a so called normal person to take the tests. I told my brother that the whole thing is unfair because when they go into college I doubt they will get these accommodations. In the corporate world is XYZ Company going to let them slide on deadlines due to ADHD or dyslexia? I doubt it.

What do you think about all these special accomodations?
Idiotic. Beyond stupid. If you are going to do that, you have thrown out the legitimacy of the test. The whole idea of standardized tests is to see where you fall when everyone is on the same playing field.

That's like having a 100-meter race for world's fastest man, and giving a 300-lb man with a deformed leg an 80-meter head start. If he wins, is he the world's fastest man?

Old 04-30-2010, 03:02 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,117,454 times
You asked the question: What do you think about all these special accomodations?

I don't think they are fair to the other students. This is the same as kids playing a baseball game that neither team wins because you don't want to hurt one teams feelings. You are teaching people to accept mediocrity. Why would an "A" student try to do his best when he knows lesser student will be given an advantage and therefore will get the same good grade. I'm sorry, but life isn't always fair and by taking something from the aciever and giving it to the non-achiever you will soon make the achiever realize his effort is not nothing.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Idiotic. Beyond stupid. If you are going to do that, you have thrown out the legitimacy of the test. The whole idea of standardized tests is to see where you fall when everyone is on the same playing field.

That's like having a 100-meter race for world's fastest man, and giving a 300-lb man with a deformed leg an 80-meter head start. If he wins, is he the world's fastest man?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You asked the question: What do you think about all these special accomodations?

I don't think they are fair to the other students. This is the same as kids playing a baseball game that neither team wins because you don't want to hurt one teams feelings. You are teaching people to accept mediocrity. Why would an "A" student try to do his best when he knows lesser student will be given an advantage and therefore will get the same good grade. I'm sorry, but life isn't always fair and by taking something from the aciever and giving it to the non-achiever you will soon make the achiever realize his effort is not nothing.
Curious if you two have read farther into the thread than the original post.

One point I think you, and others are missing, is that school is not the competition. School gets you ready for the competition. That some people need to work harder (Yes, the people who are getting these accommodations are most likely working harder than those that don't) in order to achieve shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:09 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,248,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
You are assuming that the person who needs extra time to take a written test will also need help while doing manual work. That is a big assumption.
Also most of the stuff we learned in school we will never use.
Some people continue an education, and if they are constantly needing extra time for accomodations, then they will probalby be at a severe disadvantage on the job...

And I can only speak for myself, but I haven't forgotten much if anything of what I learned in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education