Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:18 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times

Advertisements

The vote is a cornor stone of democracy. Especially in this day and age where every vote counts. Requireing a legal ID would certainly eliminate many avenues of fraud. The only reason anyone would be against it is fear of a valid election.
How can anyone live today without a valid ID? How do you cash a check? Buy a drink or tobacco products? How do you buy a car? How do you sign up for gov benefits such as welfare or Social Security?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 07:27 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It will effect both repblicans and democrats voters the same. That is unless one thnks that democrats have less legal votes with ID's

No, it will affect POOR people regardless of party, but both sides have made the calculation that it's a partisan issue.

In this country, you can't get away with trying to screw black people or Muslim people or female people, but you can screw the poor with impunity until the cows come home.

Class warfare, anyone?

Old 09-16-2011, 07:48 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,926,065 times
i just want to know why republicans are pushing for this now.

why is it so important now when they didnt care all these prior years when they had the numbers in the legislature and state senates, why the sudden push now?

fraud has always been around and always will be. i think the fraud card is overplayed anyways as it is.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:49 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
"The soft bigotry of low expectations."

Why does the left assume that most black people do not have ID?

Old 09-16-2011, 07:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
"The soft bigotry of low expectations."

Why does the left assume that most black people do not have ID?
How do they drive? Cash SS checks? Welfare checks? Get Food stamps? Or any other form of government assistance?

How do they rent or own a home without ID?

Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How do they drive? Cash SS checks? Welfare checks? Get Food stamps? Or any other form of government assistance?

How do they rent or own a home without ID?
its not black people, its poor people in general, and the elderly who would be affected by this the most.

i believe voter ID is a political play to get a perceived advantage, and i dont trust any politician who actually thinks they could convince me that they care about honesty and integrity.

its all about doing the most i can to survive for re-election.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:01 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
its not black people, its poor people in general, and the elderly who would be affected by this the most.

i believe voter ID is a political play to get a perceived advantage, and i dont trust any politician who actually thinks they could convince me that they care about honesty and integrity.

its all about doing the most i can to survive for re-election.
Again...how do those people cash checks, receive benefits, drive, own or rent a home without some form of ID?

It's hogwash and the dems/libs don't like it because they encourage and count on voter fraud.

Nothing at all wrong with people having to prove who they are and if they are eligible to vote.

The vast majority of people support this.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:02 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,413,164 times
If you don't have ID, you are either not a functioning member of society, or you are engaged in vote fraud. I'm not seeing the problem with the new laws, either way.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Again...how do those people cash checks, receive benefits, drive, own or rent a home without some form of ID?

It's hogwash and the dems/libs don't like it because they encourage and count on voter fraud.

Nothing at all wrong with people having to prove who they are and if they are eligible to vote.

The vast majority of people support this.
i never said most people dont have ID.

i said the ones who dont have it are the ones who probably would vote for dems.

its a political play, nothing more nothing less.

you may be trusting in these politicians who do nothing but screw us left and right, but i wasn't born yesterday.

this would not have been done if it did not favor the GOP politically.

this idea that republicans or democrats care about your vote and a fair election is laughable.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:05 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
It's "The soft bigotry of low expectations!"

It's disgraceful and if I were a black American citizen, I would be highly offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections