Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 08:31 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
There was a thread about this a little while back.
Wisconsin offers a free ID.... BUT... employees are directed not to volunteer that information.

From Free voter ID difficult to obtain for some in Wisconsin :

Getting a free Voter ID card

In a memo published by The Capital Times, a Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles official directed employees to not offer or mention the fact that state ID cards can be obtained for free. Instead, the employees are told to offer information on the voter registration cards only if the individual knows to check the appropriate box.
Don't you want a responsible citizenry?

The state is trying to save some taxpayer dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 08:39 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,926,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Don't you want a responsible citizenry?

The state is trying to save some taxpayer dollars.
voter ID saves nothing, actually costs millions.

i cant believe you are this trusting of politicians. to believe they really care about your vote, and that the republicans are doing this to look out for you and me.

i know you are a republican, but you can't afford to be this passive and blinded by anything your party does.

i think party loyalty is for the weak and is a big reason why the electorate is so dumbed down.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:42 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,619 times
I have to wonder how a person would be competent to vote if they are unable to check a box on the form. How tough can it be to check a dang box??? I mean really, you can't check the box on the card but you know how to vote????? Give me a break!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I have to wonder how a person would be competent to vote if they are unable to check a box on the form. How tough can it be to check a dang box??? I mean really, you can't check the box on the card but you know how to vote????? Give me a break!

Umm, I believe that in that last 3ish years....I believe that there was a community that was told how that ballet was supposed to be written and in the end it was not and the the wrong (right) person was elected....

Old 09-16-2011, 08:59 PM

957 posts, read 758,659 times
I asked earlier for anyone to list the cases of voter fraud and have not yet seen anything listed. I'm sure many have googled it by now, so please show the cases. Thanks. Someone said that one case is enough. Show me that case & how it could have been prevented with a requirement to show ID.
As for "Absentee voting" I'm not opposed to it, in fact, I have voted absentee exclusively since the mid 90's, and encourage it. It's not exclusively for republicans.
I will stand by my earlier comment that republicans don't have anything to run on that appeals to the majority, so they pass legislation in order to suppress the vote.
When voter turnout it high, republicans lose.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:03 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,286,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Liberal bloggers have been complaining about this for months, but here is an MSM article from the WaPo. The ALEC cookie-cutter "voter ID" legislation passed or pending in 30 states with GOP legislatures may prevent a few hundred reported incidents of fraud, but will also certainly have the effect of suppressing many thousands of Dem votes (Studies cited in the article make it clear that, for various reasons, people who lack govt photo ID are much more likely to be Democratic voters).

In an expected very close election, these laws could very well tip the results to the GOP. I'm SURE this is unintentional!

Republicans rewriting state election laws in ways that could hurt Democrat - The Washington Post
Most states give a free ID if you are real, so what is the issue? You don't want people voting twice or more. You don't want non-citizens voting either.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:08 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,926,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Most states give a free ID if you are real, so what is the issue? You don't want people voting twice or more. You don't want non-citizens voting either.
the issue is why the law is made now, and not years ago.

there are political reasons to do it now. back then they had no political reason to do it, which is why they didnt.

amazed at the sheep believing are "trusted politicians" just want to look out for us.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:12 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
With voter ID laws passed, I'm sure that'll help reduce the large number of dead Democrats who voted in elections since 2008

Old 09-16-2011, 09:13 PM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
I've lived in plaaces where you had to present you ID before you voted to show that you were indeed who you said you were.

When I first lived and voted someplace that did not want to see my ID to verify I was the voter that I claimed I questioned them and did not like that they were not checking.

My first thought was anyone could come in here saying they were me and voting in my stead.

That was years ago.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:15 PM

22 posts, read 11,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Liberal bloggers have been complaining about this for months, but here is an MSM article from the WaPo. The ALEC cookie-cutter "voter ID" legislation passed or pending in 30 states with GOP legislatures may prevent a few hundred reported incidents of fraud, but will also certainly have the effect of suppressing many thousands of Dem votes (Studies cited in the article make it clear that, for various reasons, people who lack govt photo ID are much more likely to be Democratic voters).

In an expected very close election, these laws could very well tip the results to the GOP. I'm SURE this is unintentional!

Republicans rewriting state election laws in ways that could hurt Democrat - The Washington Post
I don't mind verifying people are qualified to vote and vote only once.
That said this is a frightening trend towards a national ID card.

I suspect we are already tracked much more than we are aware of as technology, especially tracking and monitoring software, distributed mass storage databases and sophisticated parsing and filtering software become more prevalent. The world keeps shrinking smaller and smaller. I hope it doesn't shrink so small there is no room left for our humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections