Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 06:33 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Happens everyday.
1. Its often cheaper than it is to prove innocence.
2. Less publicity
It boils down to what costs less.
Your logic.
Why would someone who genuinely felt wrong sell out for a few bucks? Why wouldn't they push it and make sure the violator was both exposed and punished?
I'll have to be honest. If I had $100's of millions of dollars, that's exactly what I'd do on principle alone. Then, I'd counter-sure for all the lost money in defending a baseless claim.

However, most lawyers (probably all) would advise against that. But if you want to throw them piles of money, they'll take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 06:39 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,759 times
Well here's what the "sex scandal" people referring to is all about....he commented to a female employee that she was the same height as his wife. That's it.....that's what all this fuss is about. The female employee felt that it was inappropriate to compare her to his wife. The comparison was about height.....that's all. BTW, he's been married for 43 years.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I'll have to be honest. If I had $100's of millions of dollars, that's exactly what I'd do on principle alone. Then, I'd counter-sure for all the lost money in defending a baseless claim.

However, most lawyers (probably all) would advise against that. But if you want to throw them piles of money, they'll take it.
The point is most ubber wealthy will opt for the buy out. Quick and easy.
Most insurance companies also.
Many malpractice awards are done for this very reason. Its cheaper and less risky than deep pocket mentality jurists.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The point is most ubber wealthy will opt for the buy out. Quick and easy.
Most insurance companies also.
Many malpractice awards are done for this very reason. Its cheaper and less risky than deep pocket mentality jurists.
Yeah, I understand that... It's the easiest way out and the easiest way to return back to your life of not being sued by scumbags.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:48 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,759 times
Quote:

First of all, it's not him that paid them off...it's the National Restuarant Association that paid them off.....and it really wasn't a pay off...it was their severance package...they received 3 months of salary.

Secondly, counter suing someone for the cost of defending yourself costs money as well and doesn't help much unless you can collect it, if and when you win.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
First of all, it's not him that paid them off...it's the National Restuarant Association that paid them off.....and it really wasn't a pay off...it was their severance package...they received 3 months of salary.

Secondly, counter suing someone for the cost of defending yourself costs money as well and doesn't help much unless you can collect it, if and when you win.
Dude, I understand. That's why I said on principle.

The point being that I'm still well off and the scumbag gets zero and may even have to work even longer and harder to have even less than they did before they got froggy.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
After Bill Clinton and the rapes he did, who cares about a sexual harassment accusation?

Old 10-31-2011, 09:02 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
First of all, it's not him that paid them off...it's the National Restuarant Association that paid them off.....
Not that I am interested in any of this, but while your argument is technically correct, it is rather disingenuous considering that Cain was the CEO and a member of the board.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not that I am interested in any of this, but while your argument is technically correct, it is rather disingenuous considering that Cain was the CEO and a member of the board.
He recused himself and handed the investigation to HR and the rest of the board.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
He recused himself and handed the investigation to HR and the rest of the board.
Which found the allegations without basis...
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections