Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2012, 11:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Crackpot Paul Ryan is like a cross between the worst part about both Sarah Palin and Ron Paul.
And Joe Biden looks like the love child of Spiro Agnew and the woman who sold you that oil-burning Crown Vic sitting on blocks in the back yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 11:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Funny how the Cons are all saying Biden was rude, I don't recall them saying Romney was rude in the last debate.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,909,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
If you want to talk specifics, then how do you have a tax revenue neutral plan that reduces taxes by 20% without eliminating or decreasing deductions on the middle class?
this is how:

Princeton Economist: Obama Campaign Is Misrepresenting My Study on Romney's Tax Plan | The Weekly Standard

"In fact, Harvard economist Martin Feldstein and Princeton economist Harvey Rosen both concede that paying for Romney’s tax cuts would require large tax increases on families making between $100,000 and $200,000."

But that's not true. Princeton professor Harvey Rosen tells THE WEEKLY STANDARD in an email that the Obama campaign is misrepresenting his paper on Romney's tax plan:

I can’t tell exactly how the Obama campaign reached that characterization of my work. It might be that they assume that Governor Romney wants to keep the taxes from the Affordable Care Act in place, despite the fact that the Governor has called for its complete repeal. The main conclusion of my study is that under plausible assumptions, a proposal along the lines suggested by Governor Romney can both be revenue neutral and keep the net tax burden on taxpayers with incomes above $200,000 about the same. That is, an increase in the tax burden on lower and middle income individuals is not required in order to make the overall plan revenue neutral.

partly, it has to do with repealing obamacare.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,730,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Agreed save maybe a slight movement on the Abortion topic. Ryan really looked "unsure" on his answer there and it was visible. Now I'm not a woman but my better half wasn't impressed with him there at all.
I think Biden looked bad on enough other areas to balance things out. I think Biden spent more time with the +/- needle hanging out in the negative than Ryan did.

The abortion issue is one where Ryan has been forced from a stance of "no, nay, never" to "there are conditions that justify the procedure." I don't know if he really believes in the whole "rape, incest or when a mother's life is in danger" exceptions. Ask Romney the same question and he'll do fine. Interestingly, Ryan's stance is based on his religion's official stance. Romney's is based upon his religion's official stance. Catholicism takes a more absolutist stance on this while Mormonism apparently takes a significantly more open-minded view. Conviction comes from your core beliefs and values it would seem.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
And Joe Biden looks like the love child of Spiro Agnew and the woman who sold you that oil-burning Crown Vic sitting on blocks in the back yard.
I'm thinking that you're the only one who can relate to that analogy....?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,973,712 times
Thought as much.

You don't have the brain cells to even attempt to give of the specific on the Ryan plan. So you just link to a partisan website and cross your fingers.

And your moaning and whining about Biden not giving specifics?

So typical of partisans.

Last edited by padcrasher; 10-12-2012 at 12:26 AM..

Old 10-11-2012, 11:59 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,861 times
Directed towards the OP…

Bizarre and rude behavior..child like?
Well it depends on one’s perception..
I watched the same debate and the lies that Ryan was stating? I would have found it difficult not to smirk and say mentally wtf?

Bizarre, rude and child-like? Hmm, you obviously did not watch the debate between Romney and Obama.. As our president was speaking, the camera would switch over to catch the reaction of Romney which was, yup..Smirking, chuckling and shaking his head several times..And a few times he cut off the mod by stating, no demanding that he needed time to respond to an answer he had already responded too? Hmmm.

I would also like to add before any poster decides to state that I am not sticking to topic or answering the question? I did so in the beginning of my post as well as making a comparison to a debate that occurred not too long ago..

Truth is? Ryan brought a knife to a gun fight.. Ryan did not have stats to back up his claims, they were actually regurgitated from the debate Romney had with our Pres. Recently..

Biden had the stats which he gave, he basically handed Ryan his arse to him on a silver platter, as far as Ryan staying calm? No folks this was fear as he stumbled through his debate.

As far as interrupting? I observed on more than one occasion Ryan asking a direct question to VP Biden in which Biden responded, that is what normal do when asked a direct question, unless I am sorely mistaken about debates and the art of communication..

-side note- Since I want no miscommunication I do support the Democratic party just so we are all clear and no redundant tid bits are made when replying to my post..

Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,933,716 times
I also had to come away asking myself if this was the way Biden treated Congressmen when they disagree with his opinion? If it is, is it any wonder that there has been no significant progress on any real legislation over the last 4 years? Could it be that this kind of dismissive arrogant behavior shuts down negotiations before they even begin? If this is representative of the total administration of the white house, I can see why there hasn't been a budget passed and why there hasn't been comprehensive border policy. It also speaks volumes about the foreign affair failures of the administration. Yet, the blame is never theirs, for the decisions that they themselves make. Highly unprofessional and unpresidential.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,909,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
That as much.

You don't have the brain cells to even attempt to give of the specific on the Ryan plan. So you just link to a partisan website and cross your fingers.

And your moaning and whining about Biden not giving specifics?

So typical of partisans.
you think i am going to type all night to keep you happy?

not going to happen.

maybe you could try reading the post, and finding the research paper.

Last edited by floridasandy; 10-12-2012 at 12:22 AM..

Old 10-12-2012, 12:05 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,470,963 times
Lol....the weekly standard supporting Rosen, Mankiw, and the AEI? Rosen's study operates under two implausible assumptions:

i) full employment
ii) that the tax plan is revenue before full employment occurs

Nice try, but no cigar. Plus, you do realize that base broadening is an increase in taxes - something that Romney is against? Essentially, you are arguing for an increase in taxes in many areas via broadening the base and reducing deductions.

Why not be honest about your tax increases, instead of touting it as a 20% tax decrease across the board? Why not be honest about your unrealistic assumptions of full employment? Do you really believe that you have a magical wand and will restore millions of jobs once you take office?

Talk about delusions of grandeur!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections