Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM

73,127 posts, read 62,780,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
As Dick Armey has said:

“You can’t call someone ugly and expect them to go to the prom with you.

It's a searing indictment of the GOP that Dick Armey ... ... is a voice of [cough]reason[cough] in the clown car that calls itself the Republican Party.
I've been saying that all the time. Conservatives cannot called African-Americans "dumb" and then expect them to vote for them. What part of that does no one get? Or perhaps this isn't so much about Blacks voting for Democrats as it is something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You are absolutely right about it not being the same as 40 years ago, its better. We are now an extension of the northern part of our party where as Republicans seem to be an extension of the southern arm of their's
I would say that both parties have been through changes over time. The Democrats of 1872 are not the same Democrats as 1972. The Democrats of 1972 aren't even the same as this year. The Republican Party has changed, especially since the 1960s. One thing to consider is the Southern Strategy.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,697,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Alot of this leads me to believe that the "election" is not the only thing bothering people. I think it has alot more to do with people having problems with Blacks as a whole and blaming Blacks for everything in this society. In fact, there is a website dedicated to blaming everything on Blacks called "stuffblackpeopledontlike".
Oh, for Pete's sake...there's a website for everything.

Good Grief!

Some people take the internet far too seriously.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Oh, for Pete's sake...there's a website for everything.

Good Grief!

Some people take the internet far too seriously.
If there are people who truly think that way, there are some reasons to worry. It isn't so much what some people think, but how some people think that I should worry about.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 PM

8,645 posts, read 9,160,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Dumb, no Moronically Stupid - YES.
Curious, have you thought why so many voted for Obama, perhaps because of the alternative? Has that dawned on you? Now, if you then state, "Well, Romney was the better candidate" then you are the dumb one. Mitt Romney was the worst candidate the republican party could have nominated, by far the worst, worse than McCain. If he wasn't the worst he would be the POTUS now. It is as simple as that.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,270,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Alot of this leads me to believe that the "election" is not the only thing bothering people. I think it has alot more to do with people having problems with Blacks as a whole and blaming Blacks for everything in this society. In fact, there is a website dedicated to blaming everything on Blacks called "stuffblackpeopledontlike".
Of course. They just don't like us anyway. The vote thing us just fuel to give them something else to talk about relative to black people.

In any case, I don't give a damn whether they like us or not. Not my problem.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:42 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,079,341 times
I continue not to understand how republicans think we should come to their side? After that incident at the CPAC with that racist tea party voter, you really expect us to come to that side? Voter ID laws, paul ryan's budget, etc. Have you seen the topics created on this forum, you really expect us to join who people who think like that about us?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:43 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,481,862 times
You would only have a case if the Republicans had a black candidate and suddenly Republicans get 90% of the vote. Until then you have no case.

Asians voted 75% in favor of Obama. Does that make them stupid? I've been bringing this up since November and nobody has tried to say anything about it.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Of course. They just don't like us anyway. The vote thing us just fuel to give them something else to talk about relative to black people.

In any case, I don't give a damn whether they like us or not. Not my problem.
I would worry about HOW some people think. It is important to consider that HOW a person thinks can be scarier than what a person thinks.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
You would only have a case if the Republicans had a black candidate and suddenly Republicans get 90% of the vote. Until then you have no case.

Asians voted 75% in favor of Obama. Does that make them stupid? I've been bringing this up since November and nobody has tried to say anything about it.
I've also done some math. 24 million Blacks voted in the 2004 election. 26 million Blacks voted in the 2008 election. That is a 2 million voter increase from one election to the other. I did a cumulative calculation. If you were to take the 2 million voters increase and divide it by 26 million, that would mean 7.7% of Black voters voted for President Obama simply because he was Black. That still leaves 92.3% of Black voters who did not vote based on race.

There is another variable to consider. New Black voters. Out of the 2 million voters who came out for the 2008 election, it might be important to ask this question: Which portion of that population was born between November 1,1986 and October 1, 1990? It is important to ask this because there were alot of voters in 2008 who were not old enough to vote in 2004.

And I think the fact the no one asks about Asian voting patterns is a revelation that some of this isn't really about Black voting patterns, but rather, about Blacks in general. I think some people are angry about the election, and are using Blacks as a scapegoat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections