Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 10:41 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,189,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
ALL of the illegal votes were cast by Democrats. What do you not get about that?
Nobody cares about that but you. And how do you know they're all Democrats? Just because they voted in the Democratic primary doesn't make them Democrats. Remember Rush Limbaugh's "Operation Chaos?"

This is about McDaniel and Cochran, not the Democrats.

If the state of Mississippi had wanted to enforce this law, they probably should have done it in the first place (like Washington used to do when we had primaries). If you voted in one, and then went to the polling place to vote in the runoff after having already voted for the other party, your name would already be marked on the voter rolls as having voted, so you couldn't vote. You could challenge and get a provisional ballot, but if you did vote in the other party's primary previously, your vote would be tossed out. Mississippi doesn't do that (for whatever reason, although it seems pretty stupid to have this law you claim is so important and do absolutely nothing to enforce it at all). Their only recourse if they do find that enough invalid votes were cast to call the outcome of the election into question is to have a do-over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 10:41 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,376,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
The Democrats don't march in lockstep, they're just not embroiled in their very own little civil war.
Yeah right, look at this forum the left has one side and there is hardly any debate between leftist posters. Pretty much party line lock step.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:42 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,000,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you are speaking about or you are getting into some very scary territory. Please explain further.
I'm saying not distancing the GOP from the TP was a GOP mistake. We have always had more than two parties in the US, and I'd have welcomed the TP being able to do the same thing.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:46 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Yeah right, look at this forum the left has one side and there is hardly any debate between leftist posters. Pretty much party line lock step.
Oh well who am I to argue with your casual observation of an internet forum?

I guess I could point out that if the Democrats actually marched in lockstep, then the Senate Democrats would have gotten rid of the filibuster when they controlled both houses of Congress so Obama could have gotten every single thing he wanted passed with a simple majority vote, but they didn't. Like Bill Clinton's first two years as President and like Jimmy Carter's entire term, the biggest roadblock Obama faced in getting the entirety of his agenda passed was his own party.

That's pretty much all the evidence I need to prove that I'm right and you're not.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,318,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'm saying not distancing the GOP from the TP was a GOP mistake. We have always had more than two parties in the US, and I'd have welcomed the TP being able to do the same thing.
There is no "Tea Party" to distance one from. Seems to me like you are calling for some kind of purity test or something. What are you going to do with someone who believes in a smaller government not in words only deciding to run as a Republican? Have them arrested?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:50 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,827,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
ALL of the illegal votes were cast by Democrats. What do you not get about that?
You are making the assumption that there were illegal votes. No proof of that. Accusations, yes. Proof, no. But it would be interesting to see if election officials (with obvious Cochran ties) allowed improper voting.

Probably the best way for the state to settle this would be to have another election. Then the slime and mud would really come out, I'd look forward to that.

All in all, an enjoyable time.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,000,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is no "Tea Party" to distance one from. Seems to me like you are calling for some kind of purity test or something. What are you going to do with someone who believes in a smaller government not in words only deciding to run as a Republican? Have them arrested?
I'd be content with simple steps.no GOP Tea Party debates. TP wants one, have at it, with the RNC withholding future support for any attendees. Now let the candidates decide if they wish to attend.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:16 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,893,510 times
This whole thread was started with a link to The National Report, an online spoof newspaper that is on par with The Onion. And the only other place any of this "breaking news" appears is on a right wing blog, The Gateway Pundit, which has posted this "news" without citing a single official source. Any other reference to this "breaking story" is just other right wing blogs picking up The Gateway Pundit story and reposting it.

Not a single real news source is reporting any of this, not a single official from Mississippi has made a statement, there isn't even a statement or press release from the McDaniel camp. Just one rightwing blog and a satire piece. In other words, there's no story here.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,318,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'd be content with simple steps.no GOP Tea Party debates. TP wants one, have at it, with the RNC withholding future support for any attendees. Now let the candidates decide if they wish to attend.
There are none now except in your delusions.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:07 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,664,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Sounds very odd. It would be very easy to find out who allowed them to vote that 2nd time.

OF course if it did happen then who did they vote for in the run-off? There is no proof of how an individual voted. Start tossing votes on this and all hell will break loose.
You all do realize that there were only Republican candidates, Cochran and McDaniel, available to vote for in the MS run-off. There was no Democratic run-off because Childers handily won that nomination. The only point of contention here is whether voters voted for whatever Democratic candidate on 6/3 and *then* voted in the Republican run-off, which is not legal. If a voter self-identifies as a Democrat, did not vote in the open primary on 6/3, and then voted on 6/24 in the Republican run-off, there is no harm, no foul That is all perfectly legal when such a voter lives in an open-primary state. If folks don't like that, whether in terms of principle or potential effects, then they should take the matter up with the state legislature and make arguments for closed primaries. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, a few more than half of U.S. states including D.C. have closed primaries, so none of this would be an issue in any of those. The virtues of closed vs. open primaries, though, is a whole 'nother argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections