Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which contender would you pick?
Rand Paul 26 39.39%
Rick Perry 13 19.70%
Neither 27 40.91%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 04:30 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,943 times

Advertisements

It seems only logical that both are going to run for the Republican nomination in 2016, so which one would you prefer? Make your pick and then explain why below. I'll start, I most likely will pick Rand Paul if he runs, depending on how he presents himself between now and then. On social issues, he seems much more open than most Republican contenders and he seems like he's willing to reach to anyone and stand on more of a middle ground. I also don't see a Democrat running that would have the country's best interests at hand and while I would love to see a true Libertarian, Paul is about the close we could possibly get as they won't get more than 2-3% of the total vote. Only thing that I don't like is his stance on gay marriage, but he's at least moderate enough to not want it criminialize or a federal amendment against it, and would actually be okay with the courts making it legal...which will probably happen, so really his opinion won't matter much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 04:51 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,510,396 times
1,2,3 calling all Paulbots. Too bad it never works out in real life.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Well I can tell you, Perry will never run this country. Ever. He's way too extreme and his policies just don't make sense. And with the way things are changing, ten years from now Texas might wouldn't even pick a man like Perry.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:43 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
1,2,3 calling all status quo lemmings. Too bad THE FACTS show it has never worked out in real life.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:45 AM

Yep, so far the Paul's tend to have it!

If there's anything that will help the Republican party survive, it's becoming more moderate and becoming more inline with the views of the general population.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:50 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
It doesn't matter who I prefer because stinkin' Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida, etc., ALWAYS eliminate my candidate of choice. I'm sick and tired of them ALWAYS choosing our candidates and would back a candidate who is for state primary voting rotation for presidential elections.

Obama has this country in a mess partly since he was unqualified for the job. Both Paul and Perry have experience running something, unlike say, Paul Ryan. If either Paul or Perry are around when Tennessee votes, I might pick one of them.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:21 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It doesn't matter who I prefer because stinkin' Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida, etc., ALWAYS eliminate my candidate of choice. I'm sick and tired of them ALWAYS choosing our candidates and would back a candidate who is for state primary voting rotation for presidential elections.

Obama has this country in a mess partly since he was unqualified for the job. Both Paul and Perry have experience running something, unlike say, Paul Ryan. If either Paul or Perry are around when Tennessee votes, I might pick one of them.
What does Rand Paul have experience running? He's a senator. He was never a governor (like Perry), he's pretty much on the same level (leadership-wise) as Paul Ryan.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I agree that having the primaries start in the same states year after year is bad for business. Ever heard the story about insanity being try the same approach and expect a different result? If they Perry, Cruz, Santorum, etc were to get the nomination, you could kiss the POTUS possibility goodbye because I would vote for Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden before either of them and I imagine most would. As much as they might appeal to the extremist, they distance moderates, independents, and won't get any of the liberal vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
What does Rand Paul have experience running? He's a senator. He was never a governor (like Perry), he's pretty much on the same level (leadership-wise) as Paul Ryan.
He has a far better national and international view. He's young than Perry yet far wiser.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I'd also like to know what reason you have for wanting to see Perry run?

Old 07-15-2014, 10:12 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I agree that having the primaries start in the same states year after year is bad for business. Ever heard the story about insanity being try the same approach and expect a different result? If they Perry, Cruz, Santorum, etc were to get the nomination, you could kiss the POTUS possibility goodbye because I would vote for Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden before either of them and I imagine most would. As much as they might appeal to the extremist, they distance moderates, independents, and won't get any of the liberal vote.

He has a far better national and international view. He's young than Perry yet far wiser.
He may have more publicity, but he still doesn't have any experience running anything. We have a sitting president right now that had a lot of publicity and no experience running anything and look where that has gotten us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections