Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which contender would you pick?
Rand Paul 26 39.39%
Rick Perry 13 19.70%
Neither 27 40.91%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:16 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I'd also like to know what reason you have for wanting to see Perry run?
I have a problem supporting anyone running for president who has only served in Congress and never actually run a State. While being a governor is not a pre-requiste for being President, IMHO, they make for better Presidents overall. If the choice were solely down to Paul and Perry, I would pick Perry. He has done a great job running Texas. However, I would much rather see Scott Walker or Jeb Bush on the ballot.

Or, I'd rather see Ben Carson. He's never run a state, but he's also never been mired in the swamp that is Congress. He ran his own practice and was a highly successful brain surgeon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:47 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
It seems only logical that both are going to run for the Republican nomination in 2016, so which one would you prefer? Make your pick and then explain why below. I'll start, I most likely will pick Rand Paul if he runs, depending on how he presents himself between now and then. On social issues, he seems much more open than most Republican contenders and he seems like he's willing to reach to anyone and stand on more of a middle ground. I also don't see a Democrat running that would have the country's best interests at hand and while I would love to see a true Libertarian, Paul is about the close we could possibly get as they won't get more than 2-3% of the total vote. Only thing that I don't like is his stance on gay marriage, but he's at least moderate enough to not want it criminialize or a federal amendment against it, and would actually be okay with the courts making it legal...which will probably happen, so really his opinion won't matter much
Neither: one is an Idiot, Perry, the other a chip of the fathers block meaning he is a Libertarian and as we know he would have zero support from Dems or Repubs.
Come up with a better alternative, or learn to say President Clinton, oh wait you should be already capable of that after so much practice.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I have a problem supporting anyone running for president who has only served in Congress and never actually run a State. While being a governor is not a pre-requiste for being President, IMHO, they make for better Presidents overall. If the choice were solely down to Paul and Perry, I would pick Perry. He has done a great job running Texas. However, I would much rather see Scott Walker or Jeb Bush on the ballot.

Or, I'd rather see Ben Carson. He's never run a state, but he's also never been mired in the swamp that is Congress. He ran his own practice and was a highly successful brain surgeon.
Pssst, the Lt Governor runs the State of Texas, didn't not work so well last time you put a Texas Governor into the Whitehouse, did it. Go and do some resaerch on the stupid things Perry has suggested and wanted passed and you might change your mind, if you think he is a friend to the middleclass you are sadly misinformed.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:33 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Pssst, the Lt Governor runs the State of Texas, didn't not work so well last time you put a Texas Governor into the Whitehouse, did it. Go and do some resaerch on the stupid things Perry has suggested and wanted passed and you might change your mind, if you think he is a friend to the middleclass you are sadly misinformed.
Well, if you think Clinton or Warren will help the middle class in any way, shape, or form, you are sadly mistaken as well. We've endured 6 years of class warfare, with 2 more to go, if another Dem is elected, we'll be too far gone to claw our way back. We'll be a welfare state through and through

Old 07-15-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Well, if you think Clinton or Warren will help the middle class in any way, shape, or form, you are sadly mistaken as well. We've endured 6 years of class warfare, with 2 more to go, if another Dem is elected, we'll be too far gone to claw our way back. We'll be a welfare state through and through
Nope not a fan of either of them either. But just maybe if the GOP were to find someone along the lines of a moderate such as the Gov of NJ Christie you might win over some Indes and stand a chance, Rand might have a chance but so many Repubs dislike him I doubt he could get the nomination. Nominate a candidate linked to the Tea Party such as Cruz and the GOP would not stand a chance of winning even against someone like Hillary and Millions would not even bother to vote since both candidates would be unacceptable.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Gee, a choice between a closet anarchist, and a life-long Democrat who now pretends to be a Republican. Some choice.

Maybe next time the OP can start a poll on who people prefer to be the next President: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, or Charles Manson?

Old 07-15-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Gee, a choice between a closet anarchist, and a life-long Democrat who now pretends to be a Republican. Some choice.

Maybe next time the OP can start a poll on who people prefer to be the next President: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, or Charles Manson?
So, who would you back, hmmm?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:11 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,662,411 times
I don't see any of the Republicans mentioned beating Hillary.

We will beat ourselves in the primaries like last time. If Mitt would have been Mitt he would have won, but then he never would have gotten the nomination. We make the candidates go so far to the right in the primaries we cannot get the independent vote in November.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:29 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I don't see any of the Republicans mentioned beating Hillary.

We will beat ourselves in the primaries like last time. If Mitt would have been Mitt he would have won, but then he never would have gotten the nomination. We make the candidates go so far to the right in the primaries we cannot get the independent vote in November.
Well Republicans spend so much time trashing decent candidates that that's all they leave themselves with... Trash. And Democrats appeal to all the minorities by offering them a hand out.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:55 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
To this point I think we would all do better, irrespective of political party or affiliation, to write in Daffy Duck. There hasn't been a candidate talked about yet that I would actively support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections