Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which contender would you pick?
Rand Paul 26 39.39%
Rick Perry 13 19.70%
Neither 27 40.91%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:43 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Unfortunately if he gets the nomination, he'll lose the election by a greater margin than we've seen in several election cycles. I think America is about tired of Texan men in the White House. He has been a good leader, but he's had his fair share of bad planning to as well as success that would've happened with or without him. His military record, while nice, isn't necessary. The POTUS is a civilian position. And the left isn't scared of him, they laugh at the thought of him. I still remember the commercial where he said its sad hays can serve openly but kids can't pray in school (he needs to open his mouth wide to insert that foot) which I would just like to note u can pray in school, it's just silent since people have different religious views and your prayer is between you and God. It's also an adult that seems like he wants the nation to become a theocracy. I'm sorry guys, he's just too far right to win a general election.
It has absolutely nothing to do with his geographical location, and everything do to with his politics. Perry is a RINO in every sense of the term. How long will Republicans have to contend with these pretenders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
[*]He has repeatedly demonstrated that he is anti-Life, anti-Liberty, and anti-Pursuit of Happiness, just like his anti-American liberal freak buddies.
Does anyone else think that sounds just a tad bit irrational?

Old 07-16-2014, 02:27 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
All those attacks on Barack Obama and yet you chose to close your statement by talking about debt and deficits. The first deficit under President Obama was 1.2 trillion, the 2014 fiscal year deficit has been projected at 492 billion by the CBO and 568 billion by the White House.

Either way, its dropping, both in real numbers and as a percentage of GDP.
Last year a company lost 2 million, while the year before they lost 3 million. My how things are looking up.
Live within your means, period.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:00 AM

553 posts, read 596,083 times
Well now half the people here say Perry is a radical right-winger and the other half say he's a RINO. Sounds like he must be about right!

Old 07-16-2014, 07:16 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,411 times
Quote:
All those attacks on Barack Obama and yet you chose to close your statement by talking about debt and deficits. The first deficit under President Obama was 1.2 trillion, the 2014 fiscal year deficit has been projected at 492 billion by the CBO and 568 billion by the White House.

I love when liberals confuse debt and deficit, as if they are the same thing. A debt is the amount of money the country owes, and it has continued to rise (unchecked) during the reign of Obama. A defecit is the amount of money we are over the projected budget for the current fiscal year. Being $568 billion in defecit, means we are spending that much more this year than we budgeted. Comparing that to the defecit in Obama's first year is illogical, as the budget was most likely different.

It's the same way liberals like to talk about Clinton having a surplus. He had a surplus in one year of his budget, but the nation was still in debt.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:48 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Pie. Preferably apple.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:35 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I love when liberals confuse debt and deficit, as if they are the same thing. A debt is the amount of money the country owes, and it has continued to rise (unchecked) during the reign of Obama. A defecit is the amount of money we are over the projected budget for the current fiscal year. Being $568 billion in defecit, means we are spending that much more this year than we budgeted. Comparing that to the defecit in Obama's first year is illogical, as the budget was most likely different.

It's the same way liberals like to talk about Clinton having a surplus. He had a surplus in one year of his budget, but the nation was still in debt.
You are right about one thing, and mistaken about one thing.

You are absolutely right about the difference between the debt and the deficit. Deficits and surpluses pertain to the budget and spending. Where the debt pertains to revenues and spending.

Where you were mistaken is associating deficits/surpluses with Presidents. Congress is responsible for raising revenue, budgets, and spending, not Presidents. There were also three years of budget surpluses under a GOP controlled Congress while Clinton was President - 1998, 1999, and 2000. And yes, the National Debt still increased during those three fiscal years.

The reason the National Debt increased is because the GOP controlled Congress created a budget that was significantly higher than projected revenues. Just as Congress is doing today. If Congress creates a $3 trillion budget, for example, and then spends $2.8 trillion, there will be a $200 billion surplus. If during that same fiscal year the revenues were only $2.5 trillion, then the National Debt will increase by $300 billion, even though there was a $200 billion surplus.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:04 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You are right about one thing, and mistaken about one thing.

You are absolutely right about the difference between the debt and the deficit. Deficits and surpluses pertain to the budget and spending. Where the debt pertains to revenues and spending.

Where you were mistaken is associating deficits/surpluses with Presidents. Congress is responsible for raising revenue, budgets, and spending, not Presidents. There were also three years of budget surpluses under a GOP controlled Congress while Clinton was President - 1998, 1999, and 2000. And yes, the National Debt still increased during those three fiscal years.

The reason the National Debt increased is because the GOP controlled Congress created a budget that was significantly higher than projected revenues. Just as Congress is doing today. If Congress creates a $3 trillion budget, for example, and then spends $2.8 trillion, there will be a $200 billion surplus. If during that same fiscal year the revenues were only $2.5 trillion, then the National Debt will increase by $300 billion, even though there was a $200 billion surplus.
Correct, I was just going along with the poster I was responding to who was relating this decrease in defecit to Obama.

But thank you for further clarifying the point!

Old 07-16-2014, 12:14 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,566 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Last year a company lost 2 million, while the year before they lost 3 million. My how things are looking up.
Live within your means, period.
The argument was about a balanced budget. You cant just have a 1.2 trillion dollar deficit and then have it go to a balanced budget the next year. It takes time.

If it was actually possible, people would have done it years ago, but it isnt. Because our government actually has a lot to do with spending in this nation. So whether you like it or not, you have to face reality.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,566 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post

Actually, i didnt confuse them, if you had actually tried to reply to my post instead of trying to find a gotcha moment, you would have seen that.

here i will quote and highlght my post for you

Quote:

The words debt and deficit were not interchangeable in my post, the word debt only appears once and it is in the first sentence and it is as a reference point to the quoted post.

next time, look before you leap, that way you dont smash your face. again.

P.S. Clinton had 4 surpluses, not one. And your attack on Liberals didnt make sense. He still had a budget surplus. The debt still rising doesnt change that. So you are attacking liberals on a ad hominum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections