Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 01:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Trumpland. A place where millions of minorities will join the GOP to support Trump.
I don't see it. Trump has enough dirt that he has kicked up on himself. He is thin-skinned and a hot-head, we don't need that in Washington.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:32 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Do you honestly think that someone who was inclined to vote for Sanders is going to give their vote to any of the Republican candidates? They'll fall over themselves to vote for Hillary if she gets the nomination.
Or they'll stay home. A good friend is a huge Dem, and she actually just asked about what I thought about the election. She's a Sanders supporter, but hates Hillary. She said if Hillary wins the nomination, she won't vote.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:38 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Or they'll stay home. A good friend is a huge Dem, and she actually just asked about what I thought about the election. She's a Sanders supporter, but hates Hillary. She said if Hillary wins the nomination, she won't vote.
Sanders's supporters are not going to sit back and let an authoritarian like Trump near the presidency. That's wishful thinking.

Many claimed Hillary supporters would sit out on election night after her bitter defeat in the 2008 primaries. That never happened and Obama crushed McCain in the general election.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:49 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,735,836 times
Quote:
Some will stay home yes, but most won't. Democrats historically turn out en masse for presidential elections. Put a possible Supreme Court nomination on top of that and you'll see every Democrat and their mother out voting. No, they definitely won't be staying at home for something like that.

You also have to think about independents. If you get one of those establishment Republicans up there we'll more than likely throw our support behind Hillary. Your best bet is to give Trump the nomination. He is the only candidate that would make me even consider voting Republican. If he can get someone like me to vote for him then you can damn well bet that he'll get a lot of independents to throw their support behind him as well.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:44 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
I just saw an article where Lindsay Graham basically said he would cross the aisle to vote for Hillary should Donald Trump be the nominee of their party. Wow. They must really hate that guy.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Some will stay home yes, but most won't. Democrats historically turn out en masse for presidential elections. Put a possible Supreme Court nomination on top of that and you'll see every Democrat and their mother out voting. No, they definitely won't be staying at home for something like that.

You also have to think about independents. If you get one of those establishment Republicans up there we'll more than likely throw our support behind Hillary. Your best bet is to give Trump the nomination. He is the only candidate that would make me even consider voting Republican. If he can get someone like me to vote for him then you can damn well bet that he'll get a lot of independents to throw their support behind him as well.
If Humphrrey in 68 who was looked at as a lackluster candidate nearly had a close call popular vote after you had him basically have no vocal support until Bobby Kennedy's murder, I domnt see why Clinton wouldn't carry Democrats for Sanders. Independents supporting Sanders is a bit of a different story but Democrats who vote losers in the primaries don't typically have Republican hissy-fits like the (Ron) Paul supporters and Evangelicals did in 2012 (though in reality none were effective in costing Romney the White House as electoral math begs to differ unless at the least three to four states were drastically effected by those stay at home votes.)

Old 02-22-2016, 04:41 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Donald will never get the minority vote. The only way he wins is by winning over white non-Hispanic college grads in large numbers to go with his blue collar redneck base, and that's improbable too.
If by "minority" you mean the Black vote, he doesn't need it. Vast majority of African Americans in the USA live in Red states.

See this map.

The real question is this. Can Hillary attract enough of the White vote to win? Plenty of evidence that says she won't.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:42 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I just saw an article where Lindsay Graham basically said he would cross the aisle to vote for Hillary should Donald Trump be the nominee of their party. Wow. They must really hate that guy.
Haha. If you believe that Lindsay Graham will vote for Hillary Clinton, you need to find better reading material.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:47 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If by "minority" you mean the Black vote, he doesn't need it. Vast majority of African Americans in the USA live in Red states.

See this map.

The real question is this. Can Hillary attract enough of the White vote to win? Plenty of evidence that says she won't.
If she hits Obama's mark from 2012 (an easily achievable 39%) she cruises into the White House.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:50 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Haha. If you believe that Lindsay Graham will vote for Hillary Clinton, you need to find better reading material.
Do you really believe he will vote for Trump IF he is the candidate?

Doubtful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections