Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 02:55 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times

Advertisements

What exactly do people think is going to substantially change for the worse if Trump is elected? People all over the internet are talking about how they're in "fear." Fear of what? Trump can't just waltz into office if elected and enact all this change. If Obama couldn't do it (on his slogan which was all about change) for the better than why do people think Trump can just snap his fingers and enact all this so called scary change for the worse?

We have a system of checks and balances (government stuff I learned in middle school so I wonder how much many Americans paid attention to the most basic stuff in school) that prevents the president, Congress, or Court from becoming too powerful. Most laws or "changes" like building a wall require Congressional support and vote. Trump cannot walk in and do everything he says he wants to do, whether people think it's good or bad, and I don't understand why so many Americans claim they are afraid. Do they not get how the federal government works? I don't think many do.

And anyway, why is vetting those coming in from ISIS territory such a bad thing? Why does saying that currently in the global climate, it is Muslims who are predominantly the problem make him "racist" (another definition people need to look up btw)? He is not wrong to say it is hard to trust Muslims, his only problem is he is not being specific enough - SOME Muslims are a problem and hard to trust, and SOME are extremists but those who are extremists ARE a legitimate problem and concern. Why is wanting to stop ILLEGAL immigration such a bad thing? I think he comes across as harsh and sometimes over exaggerates and is intentionally dramatic, but this is the core of what he wants to do when people claim he sounds "racist" and all this bad stuff will happen if he's president. What bad stuff, following our laws and not allowing illegal immigration and not tolerating that BS any longer and making sure we don't openly welcome terrorists into this country? Oh poor us! Putting OUR country and people and needs first for once!

I think he has a tendency to be brutally honest and speak before he thinks about what he's about to say but I don't think he's some crazy racist who will turn this country to hell or become Hitler or something (preposterous). Even if he wanted to, he'd have a really hard time given how our system works. And if Congress's majority is the opposite party - forget it, nothing he wants or anyone wants will get done at all.

I watched him say in a speech just yesterday that it's ILLEGAL immigration he wants to stop. He made a point to say that LEGAL immigration is fine and we welcome it but not ILLEGAL immigration. He brought up a guy who was wearing a "legal immigrants for Trump" homemade shirt onto the stage from the audience and basically said, it's people like him I want here, those who did it right and made sure they became legal citizens. What is so wrong with this? What is so "racist" about this?

Old 03-14-2016, 03:33 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You're buying into that white guilt nonsense? Unless you were there and actively involved in the slave trade/remotely involved in slavery or even alive at the time, you have nothing to feel guilty for. I'm baffled that people today actually feel guilt for what people did hundreds of years ago and even more. I'm white and I don't feel an ounce of guilt. Do I feel bad that it happened? Yeah, but it's not a racial thing for me. I don't feel bad that it happened BECAUSE I'm white and white people owned slaves. I just feel bad that slavery was legal. I had nothing to do with slavery and AFAIK neither did any of my ancestors, who didn't even come here until after the Civil War ended and back in Europe, they didn't even come from countries involved in the Atlantic Slave Trade.

You don't have anything to be ashamed of and don't listen to any idiot who tells you otherwise. You say "we" as if all white people everywhere in history and today brought African slaves to modern day America (wasn't even America at the time, America was born into the institution of slavery brought to us by Europe). It was a few select people compared to the total population who bought or traded slaves from other Africans (important to note) and brought them here. A small fraction of wealthy imperialists who only had economic gain in mind. There is no "we." I sure as hell don't want to be included in that collective "we."

There's discussing history which I'm fine doing and love to do and then there's feeling guilty for acts committed by people who had nothing to do with us today, acts which at the time were tolerable. Don't mix them together.
I am not guilty because I was not there and I am not ashamed for what I do but I am ashamed at how many people treat the unfortunate American citizens who are being mistreated not because of their character but only on the color of their skin.

I'm not going to join in with the racists like so many of Trump supporters.

I just dislike Trump because he is a blow hard a s s hole.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:37 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What exactly do people think is going to substantially change for the worse if Trump is elected? People all over the internet are talking about how they're in "fear." Fear of what? Trump can't just waltz into office if elected and enact all this change. If Obama couldn't do it (on his slogan which was all about change) for the better than why do people think Trump can just snap his fingers and enact all this so called scary change for the worse?

We have a system of checks and balances (government stuff I learned in middle school so I wonder how much many Americans paid attention to the most basic stuff in school) that prevents the president, Congress, or Court from becoming too powerful. Most laws or "changes" like building a wall require Congressional support and vote. Trump cannot walk in and do everything he says he wants to do, whether people think it's good or bad, and I don't understand why so many Americans claim they are afraid. Do they not get how the federal government works? I don't think many do.

And anyway, why is vetting those coming in from ISIS territory such a bad thing? Why does saying that currently in the global climate, it is Muslims who are predominantly the problem make him "racist" (another definition people need to look up btw)? He is not wrong to say it is hard to trust Muslims, his only problem is he is not being specific enough - SOME Muslims are a problem and hard to trust, and SOME are extremists but those who are extremists ARE a legitimate problem and concern. Why is wanting to stop ILLEGAL immigration such a bad thing? I think he comes across as harsh and sometimes over exaggerates and is intentionally dramatic, but this is the core of what he wants to do when people claim he sounds "racist" and all this bad stuff will happen if he's president. What bad stuff, following our laws and not allowing illegal immigration and not tolerating that BS any longer and making sure we don't openly welcome terrorists into this country? Oh poor us! Putting OUR country and people and needs first for once!

I think he has a tendency to be brutally honest and speak before he thinks about what he's about to say but I don't think he's some crazy racist who will turn this country to hell or become Hitler or something (preposterous). Even if he wanted to, he'd have a really hard time given how our system works. And if Congress's majority is the opposite party - forget it, nothing he wants or anyone wants will get done at all.

I watched him say in a speech just yesterday that it's ILLEGAL immigration he wants to stop. He made a point to say that LEGAL immigration is fine and we welcome it but not ILLEGAL immigration. He brought up a guy who was wearing a "legal immigrants for Trump" homemade shirt onto the stage from the audience and basically said, it's people like him I want here, those who did it right and made sure they became legal citizens. What is so wrong with this? What is so "racist" about this?
To respond briefly, one real concern many of us non-Trump supporters have is, who will get elected to Congress? I see gridlock in D.C. one of the worst outcomes, plus SCOTUS nominees, if Trump wins. Many won't vote or will write in a vote. How does A Trump Presidency and Democratic Congress unable to work together benefit residents?

MSR

Old 03-14-2016, 03:48 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
To respond briefly, one real concern many of us non-Trump supporters have is, who will get elected to Congress? I see gridlock in D.C. one of the worst outcomes, plus SCOTUS nominees, if Trump wins. Many won't vote or will write in a vote. How does A Trump Presidency and Democratic Congress unable to work together benefit residents?

MSR
You are correct, of course, but that reality apparently hasn't occurred to most tRump supporters, and almost surely hasn't occurred to the candidate himself. As a business executive, he is used to being surrounded by "yes men" who do his bidding without questioning his motives or his competency. And, as a business executive, he doesn't have to get his ideas approved by both houses of Congress. That process is something that he has never experienced, and he is unlikely to be able to deal with it in any way other than...bluster...name-calling...and tantrums.

May God protect The USA...

Old 03-14-2016, 03:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:

MSR
No career politician of the "establishment" on either side particularly likes Trump. The GOP is trying to push him out and throw Cruz in his place, it seems. They're all distancing themselves from him because I think they're afraid of the power he has (how popular he is). So regardless of who is elected to Congress, I doubt anything substantial will get done anyway because they will likely not want to work with him and play hardball on both sides, the majority at least (which is all you need anyway).

Congress will rarely work together anyway if the majority party is different than the president's. This will be nothing new. It's not like it's any different now or has been recently in the last couple decades. They're all a bunch of children.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:40 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:

MSR
gridlock is what made the last 6 years of the obama presidency pretty decent government. a divided government is one of the best outcomes you can expect.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:59 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Agreed. Gridlock is the BEST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN. Those of us who value freedom realize that the best government is divided government that does NOTHING AT ALL except argue and water down proposals with compromises and attachments.

The only thing keeping envirofascism from destroying us all at the moment is the inertia and general uselessness of a divided government where nothing gets done.

Another good reason to vote for Trump. He is so polarizing to the collectivists and leftists that his Presidency will be marked by conflict and screaming and gesticulating and a whole lot of NOTHING getting done TO US.

If you truly value freedom, VOTE TRUMP!

Old 03-15-2016, 10:02 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
I have never enjoyed politics as much as I have this year. LOVE Trump making the PC moveon.org types apoplectic! F M baby! Lovin it!

Old 03-15-2016, 10:23 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Read this article while in a doctor's office yesterday. Makes a lot of sense.

The Election and the Death of White Male Power -- The Cut

What's intresting about it? White male power was gone in the 70s. The regime is still white but its all Jews, belt way upper class white men and the white women who still have their favorites. They hated all "white men" , but not Bubba Bill Clinton. . Its the Michael Jackson effect. He might have been a man but he was a woman's desire. Now this is in decline. The left is now eating its own. The more intresting thing is in banking and Hollywood we have finally begun to see minorities notice.

The white male power is actually somewhat desperate attempt to unify the left with a common enemy. Embrace of Muslims seems to have had an intresting effect on homesexuals who are now looking for a safe place. I think some women have also been a little alarmed. Women in Europe have already lost some of their freedom and its there for everyone to see. They are not just Muslims. Few would care if they were secular and reformed. The problem is Islam has lots of religeous ultra conservatives.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:45 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I have never enjoyed politics as much as I have this year. LOVE Trump making the PC moveon.org types apoplectic! F M baby! Lovin it!

Lol I gotta say-
It has been interesting, hasn't it??

Just got a phone call from one of my East coast friends-
He called to remind me to go VOTE FOR TRUMP

Lol as if I needed a reminder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections