Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 03:16 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,475,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
They retracted his statement. They say he misspoke and takes it back:

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/s...930049/photo/1
How does Trump know ahead of time that any future law Congress or the states may pass criminalizing abortion would not provide for prosecuting the woman as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 03:18 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,121,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
If you believe that abortion is murder then yes there should be very serious consequences including murder charges on the person who has the abortion.
If you believe that abortion is murder then how can you think otherwise?
Indeed, also where do the exceptions for rape, incest and life of the mother come from? Not the Bible. If it's a murder, it's a murder. String 'em up.

Mick

Old 03-30-2016, 03:18 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
I'm a bit confused here.

If it's "illegal" that usually means there will be a punishment. Or should we not enforce the law?

A man cannot force a woman to get an abortion, just as he cannot force a woman to keep the unborn child, so even if he's encouraging he's not breaking the law, the woman is by getting an illegal abortion and I guess the person giving her an abortion is also breaking the law.

So your 'beef' is the legality/illegality' of abortions, Trump just said a truism. If you break the law = you get punished.

Sorry if someone already pointed out the obvious.
Didn't read the whole thread, did you?

As was discussed above, as far as anyone here can tell, it was never illegal to receive an abortion, yet Trump said a woman who received one should be (now walking it back, apparently.)

It was illegal to perform an abortion.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:20 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,121,074 times
This man just alienated many social liberals who would have voted for him. This comment of his disgusts me more than probably any other thing he has said.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:24 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,121,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
They retracted his statement. They say he misspoke and takes it back:

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/s...930049/photo/1
Apparently, no one in the Trump camp knows how Constitutional Law works. The only way to take away a woman's choice (i.e., Roe v. Wade) is by the SCOTUS overruling the case (not possible with a 4-4 deadlock now, and not gonna happen anyway), or by a Constitutional amendment, which is almost impossible.

Mick

Old 03-30-2016, 03:27 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Trump has backtracked - only charge the doctor not the woman.

"If Congress were to pass legislation making abortion illegal and the federal courts upheld this legislation, or any state were permitted to ban abortion under state and federal law, the doctor or any other person performing this illegal act upon a woman would be held legally responsible, not the woman. The woman is a victim in this case as is the life in her womb. My position has not changed — like Ronald Reagan, I am pro-life with exceptions."

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/30/472444..._campaign=news

Old 03-30-2016, 03:27 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,422,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Chomp, chomp, chomp.

Suckers, keep lapping it up.

You Anti-Trumpers can win for losing against him.
Trumpettes are still under the delusion that this circus clown has a viable path to the presidency, and that his countless gaffes are all part of his "master plan". Hilarious..

Old 03-30-2016, 03:35 PM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Trump has backtracked - only charge the doctor not the woman.

"If Congress were to pass legislation making abortion illegal and the federal courts upheld this legislation, or any state were permitted to ban abortion under state and federal law, the doctor or any other person performing this illegal act upon a woman would be held legally responsible, not the woman. The woman is a victim in this case as is the life in her womb. My position has not changed — like Ronald Reagan, I am pro-life with exceptions."

Trump Calls For Punishing Women Who Have Abortions, Then Backtracks : NPR
That was quicker than most of his position flip-flops.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:37 PM

892 posts, read 861,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Didn't read the whole thread, did you?

As was discussed above, as far as anyone here can tell, it was never illegal to receive an abortion, yet Trump said a woman who received one should be (now walking it back, apparently.)

It was illegal to perform an abortion.
Well if that's the case, and I don't know off the top of my head never looked into, then it should be changed. It's like charging a prostitute but not the John, or the drug dealer instead of the drug buyer... You need to punish both for it to be effective law.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:47 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Well if that's the case, and I don't know off the top of my head never looked into, then it should be changed. It's like charging a prostitute but not the John, or the drug dealer instead of the drug buyer... You need to punish both for it to be effective law.
Your opinion.

One that is not shared even by many pro-life folks.

I would think that a person who wants to inflict a legal punishment someone for something might want to actually "look into" it - since I am quite sure you would rightfully squall if some punishment were inflicted on you by someone who hadn't "looked into" it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections