Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 05:34 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,458,058 times

Advertisements

I can't believe that this thread has gone on for over 1000 posts over what is basically nothing compared to Hillary's evil and lying history.

Is this the best you anti Trumpers can do?

I'm glad you all are are having fun with it, but all this feigned outrage is unbelievable.
You all are acting like Melania just committed high treason or something.

I guess if everyone in this election cycle is to be treated equally, Hillary will have to proofread and triple check every speech and word that comes out of her mouth or it will be the end of her candidacy if she uses one little phrase that someone else has used (or is similar to) during the last fifty years.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:34 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Here's an excellent editorial on why Melania owes an apology to Michelle Obama. Response to Melania Trump RNC Speech Plagiarism Is an Example of White Privilege

Melania Trump owes Michelle Obama an apology. On Monday, Trump plagiarized several lines of Obama's 2008 Democratic National Convention speech. Not only did Melania Trump claim that she wrote the speech, "with as little help as possible," but the Donald Trump campaign has doubled down in support of her, suggesting that the lines she borrowed included "common words and phrases," and therefore represent nothing particularly unique or remarkable about Obama's own words. I guess this is what Melania Trump, and generations of white women, mean by "help." It seems to mean that they rely upon black women's labor to help them look good, sound good, and gain influence, while treating that labor as wholly expendable.

This is totally correct. Why should anyone treat Michelle's labor as valueless? Isn't it "white privilege" that's leading the people who say Melania deserves sympathy?

This is the essence of white privilege — even clear ****ups get explained away and come with little consequence. Meanwhile, if you're black, telling the truth can cost you everything. And after all that, you can be subjected to eight years of disrespect and then have your very words stolen, while the same people who have cast aspersions upon you claim their actions are justified. Moreover, you get to watch people profit from your labor, while telling you that labor is unremarkable and meaningless.

That's this whole incident totally summed up in one paragraph!

Old 07-19-2016, 05:35 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,474,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
You don't have to watch it.

You Won't Believe Who the RNC Is Blaming For the Melania Speech Kerfuffle (VIDEO) | RedState

So now the Trump campaign tries to say some of it is like Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony. It's all they've got, right? Except Twilight Sparkle aired two years after Michelle Obama's DNC speech. So did Melania google Michelle Obama or My Little Pony?
It's time for the trump camp to 'pony up' with an admission of plagiarism.

Signed,

A PowerPuff girl

Old 07-19-2016, 05:35 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
so if you wont look at what Michelle Obama said how can you do a comparison?

anyway, it's all been cleared up, she was [URL="http://www.politicususa.com/2016/07/19/trumps-rnc-claims-wife-plagiarized-speech-pony-michelle-obama.html"]plagiarizing My Little Pony[/URL]
OMG! My heart is broken. I am crushed to learn that Twilight Sparkle copied Michelle Obama's speech. I guess you just can't trust those darn unicorns, especially the purple ones.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:42 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Who can blame her?? Michelle Obama is a brilliant orator and an amazing First Lady.

It's OK Melania. No one really expected you to use your own words.
Melania speaks FIVE languages fluently. I don't care if she copied a few words written by another speech writer.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:44 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
1. No matter what happened, people now will see Melania as a vulnerable and very feminine women, as compared to Michelle, all the while subconsciously considering them both first ladies. Score one for Trump.

2. People will endlessly play the speech over and over to compare it to Michelle's speech. Tons of free publicity for Trump and people will subconsciously consider Melania as the next first lady. So, score two for Trump.

3. By having people subconsciously consider Melania as the next first lady by comparing her to Michelle, he gets the whole nation subconsciously presuming he will be president. Score three for Trump.

4. A few sentences have similarities to Michelle Obamas speech. More than 50 media outlets are posting the speech or parts of it to point this out. Trump is taking advantage of millions of dollars of free media. Score four for Trump!

All the crap that Hillary has done and been accused of and this is all they can come up with against Melania?

It will all blow over by the end of the week and probably never be mentioned again.
But look at all the publicity Trump generated for himself.
If anybody thinks THAT is the killing blow that will bring down Trump, then those people are really desperate and grasping at straws.

It might be good, or it might be bad, but is there a big surprise in store?
People are already saying Melania will be the next Jackie Kennedy in style, looks, feminism, faithfullness to her husband, etc.
The dress she wore at the convention is already sold out at almost 2 grand a pop.

I guess it still remains to be seen, but Melania has been very quiet and we really know next to nothing about her.

Hillary should be extremely worried that Melania could bring the women vote to Trump.

You need to stay the hell out of marketing and advertising!! Your theory is downright laughable if it isn't so sad.

When no one is paying attention, any publicity is good publicity.

But when all eyes are on you, that is not the time to frack up.

It's really strange why you think Trump needs more publicity DURING his nomination when the whole world is watching. Free publicity for whom? The five people in Luxomberg who don't care?

Old 07-19-2016, 05:45 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Default Actually, Michelle plagiarized it first

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It just sounded like something a lot of people say. Pretty generic speech about values taught to young people.
The phrases in question were also spoken by Elizabeth Dole. Michelle also plagiarized Laura Bush.

Look, these phrases have become cliches. They have been used over and over again. And my wife rightly points our that ""your word is your bond" is actually from the Bible.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:47 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
I'm anti Trump but I don't think his wife should be blamed for the plagiarism. Politicians have speech writers and some speech writer's head should probably roll for this blunder. Obviously the speech writer/s looked at previous speeches to get ideas and to see what was appropriate. Usually you can latch onto an idea without totally copying it though.

Yes, she does say that she wrote her own speech. Probably she did write a lot of it but in the end, of course, she had to hand it over to a professional speech writer. How on earth would SHE know what Michelle Obama said? But the speech writer should have known. Trump seems to have gotten better advisers lately, he's not running on at the mouth so much. Now he needs to FIRE at least one of his speech writers.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:49 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
WTH????!!!???

IS this Donald's way of supporting Melania?
It's obvious consider the blowback today about her speech being 7% plagiarized..whatevers..BUT for Donald NOT to come out swinging tells the tale..I'd bet he's back in his bunker (Trump Tower) trying to calm her down..and kissing her sweet cheeks to make up for the faux Pau and as some have suggested..Melania is not a shrinking violet ..SHE WILL make Donald PAY!! Big Time for this....She was already unhappy with his elder kids influence,,Betting this is NOT over!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Palmer View Post
Melania Trump Basically Copies a 2008 Michelle Obama Speech at the RNC

I agreed.....
Donald and his third wife owe Michelle Obama an apology. Melania claiming to write it when it's almost word for word? So she's a liar too?
Don't expect any apology anytime soon..THE DONALD does not apologize..let alone admitting wrong doing or making an error ..Instead he sends out his surrogates to double down..blame Hillary..LOL What else is new..Conspiracy Theory on steroids!! Blame others? par for the course..LOL

Old 07-19-2016, 05:53 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Here's an excellent editorial on why Melania owes an apology to Michelle Obama. Response to Melania Trump RNC Speech Plagiarism Is an Example of White Privilege

Melania Trump owes Michelle Obama an apology. On Monday, Trump plagiarized several lines of Obama's 2008 Democratic National Convention speech. Not only did Melania Trump claim that she wrote the speech, "with as little help as possible," but the Donald Trump campaign has doubled down in support of her, suggesting that the lines she borrowed included "common words and phrases," and therefore represent nothing particularly unique or remarkable about Obama's own words. I guess this is what Melania Trump, and generations of white women, mean by "help." It seems to mean that they rely upon black women's labor to help them look good, sound good, and gain influence, while treating that labor as wholly expendable.

This is totally correct. Why should anyone treat Michelle's labor as valueless? Isn't it "white privilege" that's leading the people who say Melania deserves sympathy?

This is the essence of white privilege — even clear ****ups get explained away and come with little consequence. Meanwhile, if you're black, telling the truth can cost you everything. And after all that, you can be subjected to eight years of disrespect and then have your very words stolen, while the same people who have cast aspersions upon you claim their actions are justified. Moreover, you get to watch people profit from your labor, while telling you that labor is unremarkable and meaningless.

That's this whole incident totally summed up in one paragraph!
Absolutely this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections