Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2016, 05:31 AM

18,025 posts, read 27,472,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The story is big, but don't get sucked in...

I remember the days when elections were about policy and who would actually benefit America more.

Now there's a trade off of scandals.
Orly? I'm not that old, but I've seen a few elections in my day. Was there at the tv when Nixon said I'm not a crook.

I remember when politicians and officials were bought off, but back then, "they stayed bought off." (A line from some movie I'd seen no doubt )

Policy and benefitting the American people more? Wow. You're asking a lot there. If there was ever somebody that good to run for office, they'd be run out of DC on a rail.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:31 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Meantime, back to my question, why do you think the FBI believes there is a connection between Weiners device and the Clinton investigation?
"his morning I sent a letter to Congress in connection with the Secretary Clinton email investigation. Yesterday, the investigative team briefed me on their recommendation with respect to seeking access to emails that have recently been found in an unrelated case. Because those emails appear to be pertinent to our investigation,"

READ BEFORE asking dumb questions.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:37 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,941,358 times
Didn't Anonymous say they were releasing emails on Nov 1st?

Old 10-30-2016, 05:38 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,092,438 times
Lightbulb Will Hillary begin destroying more evidence?

Hillary continues to ask (demand??) the FBI tell her what they know now. The last time we (Americans) tried this with Congress issuing a federal subpoena, that drove Hillary to madly start deleting thousands of emails and destroying physical evidence before federal investigators could execute search warrants.

Isn't it clear this is why Hillary is acting as if she isn't guilty?

Will Hillary begin destroying more physical evidence t now that the FBI is reopening another criminal federal investigation against Hillary?

Old 10-30-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Since this started, I've been reading every possible source from every possible slant and I'm sorry. I just don't think Comey's letter has legs with the voting public. I truly believe that opinions are set and the only people who haven't made up their minds by now are the terminally confused. The choices are so diametrically opposed that positions should be clear by now. This issue has no legs this election cycle. I don't think this will move the needle much for the Trumpsters.
" I don't think this will move the needle much for the Trumpsters"

I disagree.

Most registered dems will vote for hillary.

Most registered repubs will vote for trump.

Independents and those that have not yet decided could be swayed with this new revelation.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:43 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Yeah, I'll admit, this will be a little bump in the road, but no different than when Trump's video surfaced. It only lasted a little while and even the 12 women coming out didn't change much about his followers.

Most of us are going to stick by our candidate, regardless. Not that we see that person as being perfect, we just see them as way safer and the lesser of the two evils.

I think Hillary still has this one, unless something REALLY bad comes out between now and the election. Not too likely though.

Don

Last edited by don1945; 10-30-2016 at 06:03 AM..

Old 10-30-2016, 05:46 AM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Orly? I'm not that old, but I've seen a few elections in my day. Was there at the tv when Nixon said I'm not a crook.

I remember when politicians and officials were bought off, but back then, "they stayed bought off." (A line from some movie I'd seen no doubt )

Policy and benefitting the American people more? Wow. You're asking a lot there. If there was ever somebody that good to run for office, they'd be run out of DC on a rail.
Have we ever seen scandals at this rate? This literally seems like one after the other.

At least in the past - there would be more time and discussion devoted to issues.

Yeah - I am asking a lot. What am I thinking in expecting people to serve and do their job?

Old 10-30-2016, 05:53 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,521,830 times
"Big story" for people obsessed by propaganda none sense.

FBI releases zero information. So far absolutely nothing relevant has ever come of this investigation. The Wikileaks trash has provided nothing of what the handlers predicted. It's a story to get the base worked up to surpress dem turnout. Disgusting tactic by a disgusting campaign ran by disgusting people

Old 10-30-2016, 05:54 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Why would Comey explicitly say that there has been no determination that the emails are evidence in the investigation into Clinton's private email server, or even relevant?
Because the FBI has not yet reviewed the emails for their content. All they know is their source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
It is rather sad that electing an admitted sexual predator to the WH is not that big of an issue for a significant portion of the electorate or CD posters .
It is rather sad. Our nation has a real problem with regard to morality, with so many people maniacally thinking that morality is those specific few elements of their chosen religion that people of other religious perspectives don't share, all the while they themselves are corruptively ignoring those elements of their chosen religion that all religious perspectives share -
  • "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."
  • "Love your neighbor as yourself."
  • "Do not ill-treat or oppress foreigners, orphans, or widows."
  • "None of you should be looking out for your own interests, but for the interests of others."
These are the Bible commandments that are echoed across all religions and religious perspectives. Why do so many of these Trump supporters claim to be Christian, claim to be good people, when they support a corruption that works directly against these commandments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Trump allegedly touched women improperly. Hillary is the primary suspect for federal crimes.
Wrong. Hillary Clinton has been cleared of any wrong-doing. Meanwhile, Trump has seventy five lawsuits in front of him where he is accused of myriad offenses, including a federal fraud lawsuit for which he is the primary suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
I don't understand how a sexual predator's wife, Hillary, has so much support either.
Putting aside the fact that Bill Clinton, despite what he has done, is not a "sexual predator", I'm shocked that you don't realize how morally depraved your comment is, insinuating that a victim is to be shunned instead of defended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Pay attention, no need to reopen a case that wasn't closed.
You pay attention.
Quote:
Attorney General Loretta Lynch, accepting the recommendation of FBI Director James Comey and others in the Department of Justice, is formally closing the investigation of Hillary Clinton's private email server without bringing any criminal charges.
Attorney General: Hillary Clinton Email Case Is Closed - July 6, 2016
Before posting rude comments like "pay attention", you should be sure you have your facts right.

Quote:
Does this mean you don't like Melania (or Marla or Ivana)? Because there's as much proof about the one as there is for the other. I'm not trying to deflect here - I'm raising a real question - somewhere between suspicion, accusation, and conviction, there's usually a trial. If you don't need a trial to declare Bill Clinton guilty, then shouldn't you also forgo a trial and declare Donald Trump guilty?
Good point. What we know is that whatever infidelity Bill Clinton committed against Hillary, Hillary has found it in her heart to forgive him, and by all accounts he has been a perfectly faithful husband for at least the last dozen years.

By contrast, Donald Trump parlayed his adulteries into breaking his marriage vows to an older woman so he could marry a younger woman - twice. And his own comments from his own mouth this very year show clearly how much latent disrespect for women he still harbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
The alleged stories were all played off the video from Access Hollywood. All of a sudden women came out the the woodworks saying he did a variation of things he said on the video (which could of been him just joking around and showing off)....it all just seemed to contrived and coincidental.
Incorrect. One of the most recent accusations, that from a People magazine writer, is among the most well-supported non-intercourse sexual assault accusations. Six outcry witnesses have come forward attesting to the fact that the attack was relayed to them contemporaneous with the attack.

Beyond that, anyone who questions why sexual assault victims don't report the crime to police are either ignorant of the experience of being a sexual assault victim or are deliberately ignoring what they know.

Quote:
And yet the fact that BC engaged in consensual affairs while Trump admits to the same thing , Trump admits molesting women , admits deliberately walking in on young pageant girls unannounced to catch them nude , has had at least 3 wives because he feels a women is over the hill at 35 or whatever age he named , gets into discussions with folks like Howard Stern about whether his own daughter is a " piece of ass" and how big her boobs are doesn't faze you . That, my friend, is what is worth a headslap
Not to mention that this is an election between Donald Trump - a man who allegedly committed these acts that you both are talking about - and Hillary Clinton - a woman who was a victim of a man who allegedly committed these acts.

The only way to sexual perversion angle works for the Trumpists is through this false equivalency - the ignorant and aggressively misogynist corruption of logic that equates the transgressions that their candidate allegedly committed to the victimization that was allegedly visited on his opponent. However, we shouldn't be surprised: Trump is all about sexism and casual disrespect for women.

Quote:
Can we form a club consisting of those on NxtGen's ignore list?
At some point, I hope the fact that NxtGen is now resorting to all caps shouting captures the attention of a moderator, who shows this new user the consequences of trolling threads with antisocial bombast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Hillary isn't the one who told her supporters to use their 2nd Amendment rights to deal with her.
This is key. If something does, Heaven forbid, happen to President Clinton, then Trump personally must be held accountable for having incited violence, not just against an individual but rather against the nation itself. He is shielded from prosecution by his current status as a candidate, and will be further shielded from prosecution by the passage of time after November 9, but if someone actually parlays his incitement to violence into action, there must be a legal accounting for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
To all of the people who think "hound dog" men are a reason to choose a different candidate for President may I remind you that John Fitzgerald Kennedy was the biggest hound dog of them all and I've never heard anyone suggest that made him a bad president,
George Washington owned slaves. What's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Emails we know were sent by Huma Abekin Emails on her computer Her computer she shared with her husband
As a person living in the South, I would be enraged if Huma's cornbread recipe included sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
As of Saturday night, the FBI had still not gotten approval from the Justice Department for a warrant that would allow them to read any of the newly discovered Abedin emails, and therefore are still in the dark about whether they include any classified material that the bureau has not already seen. “We do not have a warrant,” a senior law enforcement official said. “Discussions are underway [between the FBI and the Justice Department] as to the best way to move forward.”
So what you're saying is that there is no way that Comey could possibly have any idea whether those emails are full of hair salon appointments and cornbread recipes, rather than containing anything relevant to any investigation (much less one pertaining to Hillary Clinton) because if the FBI actually read any of these emails they'd have violated federal law.

Now we get to watch right-wing nut-jobs on Twitter casually accuse FBI agents of casually violating federal law.

Quote:
I think its safe to say Huma Abedin should not have been conducting State Dept business on a computer she shared with Anthony Weiner using private email addresses.
No it isn't safe to say that.

What is actually "safe to say" is that if Huma Abedin was conducting State Dept business on a computer she shared with Anthony Weiner using private email addresses, then she shouldn't have been doing that.

The distinction is very important.

Quote:
So I think a reasonable inference is that the agent(s) investigating Weiner saw that at least some of the emails (or texts - remember we don't actually know whether it is a cell phone or computer) had to do with State business and not Weiner's sexting.
No. All we know is that the agent saw that the emails were Huma Abedin's. That's all we know. That made them potentially relevant to this other investigation.

Quote:
Get real!
Stop posting bombastically pointless exhortation. It makes it seem like you have nothing credible to say.

Quote:
It was true at the time. This is new.
And under oath he promised to inform Congress if anything changed that may reopen the investigation.

Which is precisely what he did.

Quote:
Further since it specifically may not be anything worth prosecuting, AND he is not the prosecutor, he should have made zero comment. If in doubt it should have been a sealed communication to the prosecutor.
That much is certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Feel Better Now? Never mind, what we think..... Oh....., You Asked?......Here Goes....That you are inept when it comes to the Constitution of the United States of America.
Given what you have said about it, that doesn't bother me at all. You are trying to rationalize a patently unconstitutional perspective - what else can you do but post baseless criticisms of those who accurately describe the reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Get a copy, and read it. Maybe then, you'll attract an audience and be taken seriously.
When all you have to say is pointlessly antagonistic insult, it shines a light on the fact that you have no legitimate rebuttal to the substantive comments to which you were posting a reply.

Let's not let your deflection prevail.
Regardless, as I pointed out, Comey would not risk his professional reputation reopening an investigation he testified before Congress was completed and closed. That was the quandary he found himself in - being legitimately unable to review the new emails until he informed Congress that we was going to do so. If he had reviewed them first, then he'd be in contempt of Congress.
That's the reality, even though it ruins your preferred narrative.

Quote:
Maybe they have info that there was collusion to lie and obstruct their investigation, namely between Hillary, Huma and/or Anthony Weiner. Hopefully, they have more than just his testimony, but still this is a distinct possibility in my opinion.
Given that we're talking about a marriage that fell apart because of a pervert's depravity, do you think it possible that that obstruction might have been motivated, to a great extent, by the natural feelings one has about being the victim of such infidelity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Dang people, Hillary started this illegal mess. She did it. She is responsible.
Because you say so?

That's some pretty weak tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; IF Comey gets canned, that IMHO will just make things worse for Hillary. MUCH worse.
Eventually, and regardless of who wins the election, Comey will resign. He's lost the respect of the people who work for him. They blame him for damaging the credibility and impartiality of the agency. No one of quality will want to work with him any further. Beyond that, should Hillary Clinton win the election, the DOJ will have nothing to do with him. The FBI has its own milieu, of course, but the really challenging work of the FBI comes from investigations assigned to it by the DOJ. There is nothing requiring the DOJ to pass of such investigations; they can freeze the FBI out and instead rely on other investigating agencies perhaps only tangentially within their jurisdiction, or special investigators within the DOJ itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Financialguy View Post
Clintonistas loved Comey before they didn't.
He made two mistakes. The first one was forgivable, but in the context of the first mistake the second mistake was not. He's now a pariah. Even his letter to FBI agents isn't going to redeem him in their eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I bet this is dead on correct: ... “They found what may be ...,”
I'm sure it is correct that they found something that may be something else, just like it may not be that something else.

Did you even realize what you posted? Or is that nuance still not clear to you? Do I really have to explain your mistake?

Quote:
Why is the DOJ holding up issuing a warrant?
I don't know but it could be that the FBI violated its own long-standing policy against undertaking potentially-politically-sensitive investigations within 60 days of an election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
DOJ is under the control of Obozo...
A comment that projects as much ignorance of the reality of how our government works as it projects puerile rudeness.

Quote:
I didn't make anything up. I offered a couple of scenarios...
Do you even realize that you contradicted your first sentence within the first six words of your second sentence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Yes, trump is known to have connections/dealings with the mob in his construction business.
I wasn't aware of this. I'm not sure how he's still alive then, given how he went around them and bought illegally dumped Chinese steel to build Trump Tower.

Quote:
Do you consider it a nothing burger that Hillary's right hand lied to the FBI and obstructed justice by failing to turn over this device to the FBI?
So in addition to trying to blame the victim for the infidelities of her husband, now you'e trying to blame a boss for the actions of her employee, an employee who is herself a victim of sexual infidelities committed by her husband. What did Hillary Clinton say during the debate? Trump and his people don't care about reality - they just blame her for everything that ever goes wrong in the world.

Here it is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton
I have a feeling that by the end of the evening, I will be blamed for everything that's ever happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump
Why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton
Why not, yeah, why not? Just join the debate by saying more crazy things.
"More crazy things."

Quote:
Why would that be Clinton's fault if Abedin is the one who used the device for work purposes?
See above.

Quote:
Meantime, back to my question, why do you think the FBI believes there is a connection between Weiners device and the Clinton investigation?
Because the headers show Huma Abedin's name.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Comey has a ten year term.
It doesn't stop him from resigning once he's frozen out by his subordinates and superiors.

Quote:
The President can remove him.
I don't think the POTUS can do that unilaterally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I see, so why the double standard? I mean, in 2007 when the Bush administration used a private server and 22 million (not 33,000) emails were deleted, did President Obama appoint a special prosecutor and did the Senate, when it was controlled by the Democrats, conduct numerous investigations, hearings, etc.? Did the American people gasp in horror and worry about our national security?

I keep saying this entire investigation is to bring down Hillary Clinton, not to serve justice. Emails or no emails, the GOP would have thought of something as Kevin McCarthy pointed out when he bragged to Sean Hannity that the Benghazi committee was created to damage Clinton's political career.
Very insightful. With I could rep you again.

Quote:
I don't believe for a minute that they are submitting a warrant that says the emails are from Huma Abedin and therefore related to an investigation.
So what you seem to be saying is that you're allowing your partisan antipathy for Clinton overwhelm rational logic that would stem from the actual statements made about this matter.

Noted.

Quote:
There has to be more than that.
You just made that up. You realize that right? The fact that you take something that you just made up and parlay it into "That tells me ..." is literally ridiculous. You're essentially saying that there isn't enough information to get from the facts you have to the conclusion that you want to draw, so you're going to fill the gap with a presumption you make up, and yet still claim that your conclusion is well-supported. Again: That is literally ridiculous. It isn't how rational logic works.

Quote:
Hmmm..........Hillary authorized a private server in her basement ...
False. That private server was in the basement for years, supporting POTUS Bill Clinton's correspondence. That sort of thing had been common practice for years prior, with regard to many government officials. It was only later that we've become more sensitive to the exposure that such servers pose. Hindsight is 20/20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
winnie's laptop was seized for evidence in his child porno case, so they had permission to view everything on it..
Then why are they asking for a warrant to view what's on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Its Sunday, so have we learned that The FBI is actually reopening an investigation into Clinton because these emails that surfaced, have we learned that they are significant?
Nope, we haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
And this is why you aren't a federal agent. When you trip over evidence in another case while examining a computer, you read just enough of it to determine what it is (like one or two e-mails), determine the general size of the file, and then you lock it down, consult your supervisor and get a warrant.
Precisely.

Knowledge is a powerful tool for understanding the reality and understanding the contextual significance of the basic facts available. So much of the conspiracy theories are grounded in either lack of knowledge or deliberate setting aside of knowledge. It serves no noble purpose.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I guess the question is this reopening of the FBI case going to change any ones vote?
Seems to me without further elaboration all we have is Anthony Weiner has some questionable emails,his wife worked for Hillary therefore Hillary must be guilty in some way?
IMO Comey had to know reopening this case would imply a negative on the Clinton campaign,with absolutely no specifics on the whys of his actions i'm wondering what his motivations were for doing this at this time.
IMO, this new COULD sway independents and/or dems who are on the fence.

This COULD be the last straw that swings them.

If Comey had NOT come out with is and later it is found out that he DID have this information and the information turns out to be important to Hillary's email scandal he would be "crucified" by the other side for NOT revealing it.

IMO, he was in a no win situation.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections