Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Democrat Would have Best Chance at Beating Trump in 2020 for President?
Elizabeth Warren 19 17.12%
Jason Kander 6 5.41%
Tim Kaine 5 4.50%
Tim Ryan 5 4.50%
Keith Ellison 6 5.41%
other (explain) 70 63.06%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 11:20 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Maybe they can exhume FDR for his DNA, clone him, and run on a Newer Deal platform ...
Sanders ran on a platform that was to the right of FDRs Second Bill of Rights. But both FDR and JFK would be considered die hard communists in this political climate where the ruling donor class have enormous influence over the minds of ordinary folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 11:39 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Jim Webb. He is probably the only honest prominent Democrat that is worthy of the Office of the President. And he's a Trump supporter.
I would have voted for Jim Webb. He comes from the white working class.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:43 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Booker or Warren. Or maybe, Warren AND Booker, or Booker AND Warren.

Much depends on the next two years, Trump's remaining cabinet appointees (most unimpressive to date, except for the possibility of Romney), and Trump's ability to survive these next two years. Plus his ability to pay out on all those promises, and whatever condition the U.S. economy and the state of the world may be in by 2018.

Not to mention our nation's ability to survive with democratic (that's a small "d", for those with reading comprehension issues) government and the rights guaranteed by the Constitution intact.

That last issue concerns me greatly - shoot, right here on C-D, there's a poll asking folks to vote on freedom of the press (more exactly, press access to the President and by inference, the President-elect), and it's running close to half and half, with some wanting to completely do away with what they term the "mainstream media", which in they state includes ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, PBS, etc.

Really, people, you want to limit information?? I understand that some of what you encounter may not be to your liking, but why limit yourself and others? Censorship is antithetical to a free society. So read or watch or listen to it all, do some fact-checking, and then make up your minds. Cherish our freedoms and don't be frightened by them.

Back to the topic at hand: I expect at least one of the two names mentioned above will be nominated for either president or vice president, assuming life in America does not change in any unexpected and/or tragic way. If that happens, all bets are off.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:55 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,224,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I would have voted for Jim Webb. He comes from the white working class.
Jim Webb would have been a strong candidate. He gets it.

Ex-Sen. Jim Webb applauds Donald Trump, says election shows Democrats have lost white working class - Virginia - Mobile

Quote:
“That party descended from the party that had championed the rights of working people — regardless of race, creed, gender or any other differentiation — to the point that it made white working people their most convenient whipping posts. Particularly white males,” Webb said. “It’s clearer now than it was 10 years ago when I was trying to put this on the table.”
Quote:
Webb said every racial group has “wildly successful people at the very top and desperately poor people at the bottom,” a reality he said is ignored by affirmative-action programs that he said have expanded beyond a noble goal of battling the legacy of African-American slavery to benefit anyone who is non-white.

“Using vague labels about race and ethnicity might satisfy the quotas of government programs, but they have very little to do with reality, whether it’s blacks in west Baltimore who have been ignored and left behind or whites in the hollows of West Virginia,” Webb said.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:07 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,828,185 times
Lady Gaga/Rosie O'Donnell

Old 11-21-2016, 02:11 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
From what I know of Jim Webb is one of the few decent Democrats. I wish they would run someone like him.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:28 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,912,214 times
Viable candidate and democrat do not belong in the same sentence..

Old 11-22-2016, 06:12 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
Not in politics, and she is a fantastic speaker unless someone who is dumb doesn't like listening to someone who is clearly much, much smarter than them talk about policies. Warren is an extremely intelligent professor and Senator.
Right on ... plus she is "part" American Indian for cryin' out loud.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:25 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Booker/Warren/Hillary = all the same crap... you think you really have a chance with that? LOL... Please do it, PLEASE... I already know what is going to happen but I would enjoy you guys eating crow for a second time... I can look at Warren and know EXACTLY what is going to happen... I can see Booker and know EXACTLY how they will play out... It wouldn't even be a contest...

Old 11-22-2016, 09:02 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Booker or Warren. Or maybe, Warren AND Booker, or Booker AND Warren.

Much depends on the next two years, Trump's remaining cabinet appointees (most unimpressive to date, except for the possibility of Romney), and Trump's ability to survive these next two years. Plus his ability to pay out on all those promises, and whatever condition the U.S. economy and the state of the world may be in by 2018.

Not to mention our nation's ability to survive with democratic (that's a small "d", for those with reading comprehension issues) government and the rights guaranteed by the Constitution intact.

That last issue concerns me greatly - shoot, right here on C-D, there's a poll asking folks to vote on freedom of the press (more exactly, press access to the President and by inference, the President-elect), and it's running close to half and half, with some wanting to completely do away with what they term the "mainstream media", which in they state includes ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, PBS, etc.

Really, people, you want to limit information?? I understand that some of what you encounter may not be to your liking, but why limit yourself and others? Censorship is antithetical to a free society. So read or watch or listen to it all, do some fact-checking, and then make up your minds. Cherish our freedoms and don't be frightened by them.

Back to the topic at hand: I expect at least one of the two names mentioned above will be nominated for either president or vice president, assuming life in America does not change in any unexpected and/or tragic way. If that happens, all bets are off.
You have to understand that there are a fair number of Trump supporters that never wanted a free society, this conflict has been going on since the early days of this nation. They have always wanted a white dominant authoritarian state. Of course they have no idea that actually succeeding in this effort will destroy not only their opponents, but will also destroy them in the end. Once democratic institutions are undermined, USA will fall into anarchy, it's our destiny. Just look at our roots - a bunch of white criminals and misfits pouring over the Atlantic to form a new nation? Then you fold into this the enslavement of untold numbers of African Americans who reached this country against their will as chattel? Is anyone really surprised that the experiment will not end well? Human beings when you get right down to it, are barbarians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections