Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:49 PM

438 posts, read 1,509,377 times

Advertisements

Thank you Teatime. I do appreciate your willingness to present a cohesive, adult argument for your candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 05:23 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Even though this is probably a huge waste of my time and I really should be outside tending my rose bushes, here you go. This isn't an exhaustive list -- just some highlights, assembled from a variety of sources:

She worked at the Yale Child Study Center, learning about new research on early childhood brain development and working as a research assistant on the seminal work, Beyond the Best Interests of the Child. She also took on cases of child abuse at Yale-New Haven Hospital and volunteered at New Haven Legal Services to provide free advice for the poor.

In 1970, she was awarded a grant to work at Marian Wright Edelman's Washington Research Project, where she was assigned to Senator Walter Mondale's Subcommittee on Migratory Labor, researching migrant workers' problems in housing, sanitation, health and education.

During her post-graduate study, Rodham served as staff attorney for the Children's Defense Fund in Cambridge, Mass., and as a consultant to the Carnegie Council on Children.

In 1974 she was a member of the impeachment inquiry staff in Washington, D.C., advising the House Committee on the Judiciary during the Watergate scandal.

Rodham co-founded the Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families, a state-level alliance with the Children's Defense Fund in 1977. In late 1977, President Jimmy Carter appointed her to the board of directors of the Legal Services Corporation until the end of 1981. For much of that time she served as the chair of that board, the first woman to do so.

As First Lady of Arkansas, she was appointed by her husband as chair of the Rural Health Advisory Committee where she successfully obtained federal funds to expand medical facilities in Arkansas' poorest areas without affecting doctors' fees.

She chaired the Arkansas Educational Standards Committee from 1982 to 1992. In one of the most important initiatives of the entire Clinton governorship, she fought a prolonged but successful battle against the Arkansas Education Association to put mandatory teacher testing as well as state standards for curriculum and classroom size in place. She introduced Arkansas' Home Instruction Program for Preschool Youth in 1985, a program that helps parents work with their children in preschool preparedness and literacy. She was named Arkansas Woman of the Year in 1983 and Arkansas Mother of the Year in 1984.

Along with Senator Ted Kennedy, she was the major force behind the State Children's Health Insurance Program in 1997. She promoted nationwide immunization against childhood illnesses and encouraged older women to seek a mammogram to detect breast cancer, with coverage provided by Medicare. The First Lady worked to investigate reports of an illness that affected veterans of the Gulf War, which became known as the Gulf War syndrome.

In 1997, she initiated and shepherded the Adoption and Safe Families Act, which she regarded as her greatest accomplishment as First Lady.

Hillary Clinton traveled to 79 countries, breaking the mark for most-travelled First Lady held by Pat Nixon. In a September 1995 speech before the Fourth World Conference on Women in Beijing, Clinton argued very forcefully against practices that abused women around the world and in the People's Republic of China itself, declaring "that it is no longer acceptable to discuss women's rights as separate from human rights" and resisting Chinese pressure to soften her remarks. She helped create Vital Voices, an international initiative sponsored by the United States to promote the participation of women in the political processes of their countries.

Clinton initiated and was Founding Chair of the Save America's Treasures program, a national effort that matched federal funds to private donations for the purpose of preserving and restoring historic items and sites, including the flag that inspired the Star Spangled Banner and the First Ladies Historic Site in Canton, Ohio.

Clinton has served on five Senate committees: Committee on Budget (2001–2002), Committee on Armed Services (since 2003), Committee on Environment and Public Works (since 2001), Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (since 2001) and Special Committee on Aging. She is also a Commissioner of the Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe[210] (since 2001).

"Following the September 11, 2001, attacks, Clinton sought to obtain funding for the recovery efforts in New York City and security improvements in her state. Working with New York's senior senator, Charles Schumer, she was instrumental in quickly securing $21 billion in funding for the World Trade Center site's redevelopment. She subsequently took a leading role in investigating the health issues faced by 9/11 first responders."
Great post! Too bad the Hillary bashers will ignore it and scream about her non-divorced state
It's so much easier than looking this stuff up themselves.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:38 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,013,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Great post! Too bad the Hillary bashers will ignore it and scream about her non-divorced state
It's so much easier than looking this stuff up themselves.
Yeah, that's what's so depressing.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Even though this is probably a huge waste of my time
You're right. Those of us who admire her don't need to be told why. Those who hate her (and why I haven't a clue) will never listen to the truth.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:38 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,316,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
I feel like I'm talking to walls here. If you would have read all my posts on this thread you would have come across me saying that I agree with some of her ideas. I know where she stands on the issues. You can try to insult me all you want. Doesn't change facts.

I feel the woman lacks character. She accepts dishonesty in those closest to her. That's the real issue, not the lack of divorce. Who will she chose to advise her? Dishonest people? The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior.

There are just too many scandals involving her to ignore. Well, for me there is. For her supporters, its just the big right-wing conspiracy. I know she's supposedly been cleared of wrongdoing, but where there's smoke, there's fire.

But you're right. I'm just a mean, catty jealous b#$%h. God I wish I was her! (searches for a barfing smiley but doesn't find one)
I find that people that get so "hung up" on issues related to sex seem to have many unresolved sexual issues themselves. When I hear the word "scandalous" I think back to the dark ages. I don't think the Clinton's sex life should be up for discussion... only the important issues that relate to the present and who is the best candidate to lead our nation based on their knowlegde and experience NOT based on past sexual infidility on her husbands part. Hillary Clinton has dedicated her life to serving America. What have you done? Maybe you should be asking yourself these questions instead of passing judgement on Hillary or any other poor woman going through marital problems that might happen to live on your block.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
I find that people that get so "hung up" on issues related to sex seem to have many unresolved sexual issues themselves. When I hear the word "scandalous" I think back to the dark ages. I don't think the Clinton's sex life should be up for discussion... only the important issues that relate to the present and who is the best candidate to lead our nation based on their knowlegde and experience NOT based on past sexual infidility on her husbands part. Hillary Clinton has dedicated her life to serving America. What have you done? Maybe you should be asking yourself these questions instead of passing judgement on Hillary or any other poor woman going through marital problems that might happen to live on your block.
Scandals not involving sex, for example watergate, commodities trading, travelgate, Vince foster, not releasing tax returns, just to name a few. Nothing at all to do with sex. Her supporters turn it into sex. I view it as a lack of character.

What have I done for my country? Gee, I don't know. Does serving in the Navy count? Three and a half years to be exact.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:49 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,629,764 times
Quote:
Scandals not involving sex, for example watergate, commodities trading, travelgate, Vince foster, not releasing tax returns, just to name a few. Nothing at all to do with sex. Her supporters turn it into sex. I view it as a lack of character.

What have I done for my country? Gee, I don't know. Does serving in the Navy count? Three and a half years to be exact.
People that support Hillary forget about all the negatives very very fast.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:42 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I still haven't decided who I'm going to vote for come November. But can anyone tell me why many older moms dislike Hillary. My wife dislikes Hillary in the worst way, I probably could say she even hates her. She begged me to go to the polls to vote for Obama and she doesn't even like Obama, but it was an anti Hillary vote. She sits around daily calling her names that I wouldn't care to post. Ive met other adult women with the same anti Hillary thing. I think it's about Hillary sitting around doing nothing while her hubby put his thing into any warm place that he could find. Any other opinions that people want to shate.
I'm a married mother of 3 ... I'll vote for Hillary. Whatever happened during the Lewinsky affair was about a husband's relationship with his wife and nothing more. There was no reason whatsoever to drag the American taxpayers into their personal business. They couldn't nail them on Whitewater, couldn't nail her on travelgate, Paula Jones ... oh, but mention SEX with Lewinsky... oooooh, the GOP perverts had their jewel. Now granted, Bill Clinton completely screwed the pooch, in more ways than one. He's to blame for a lot of the crap going on in the democratic party. But I support her BECAUSE of how she stood up the the perverts in charge of that malarky.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I'm a married mother of 3 ... I'll vote for Hillary. Whatever happened during the Lewinsky affair was about a husband's relationship with his wife and nothing more. There was no reason whatsoever to drag the American taxpayers into their personal business. They couldn't nail them on Whitewater, couldn't nail her on travelgate, Paula Jones ... oh, but mention SEX with Lewinsky... oooooh, the GOP perverts had their jewel. Now granted, Bill Clinton completely screwed the pooch, in more ways than one. He's to blame for a lot of the crap going on in the democratic party. But I support her BECAUSE of how she stood up the the perverts in charge of that malarky.
Oh don't even get me started about the republican perverts! Oh wait, it was just a "wide stance".

Old 03-10-2008, 07:00 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
Quote:
Oh don't even get me started about the republican perverts! Oh wait, it was just a "wide stance".
And don't forget the Chandra Levy affair ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections