Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 06:00 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
And the lefties would be trying to keep it if it gave them an advantage .But the EC is part of the Constitution, so its sort of tough sheet for those that don't like the method the FF laid out in the Constitution.
If only there was a process to change things in the Constitution when the realities of 200 odd years of time passing changes things.

But nope, we are stuck with slavery and black people counting as 3/5 of a person and no votes for women....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 06:03 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
you know the righties would be screaming to eliminate the EC if that favored them, of course. Any claims that this is some love of the funding fathers' plan is bull, it's just that they are thrilled that empty land gets to control elections because the empty land happens to be in red states. They are perfectly fine with voters in Wyoming having 4 times the electoral power of voters in California because they happen to be GOP voters. They can't stand the idea of true representation via the popular vote because they are outnumbered.
Obama easily won twice. A horrible candidate not winning is not a reason to change anything. Why is the idea of offering a decent candidate that people can get behind now such a distasteful thing?

I am not a "righty".

Old 05-04-2018, 06:04 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,296 times
Quote:
If only there was a process to change things in the Constitution when the realities of 200 odd years of time passing changes things.

But nope, we are stuck with slavery and black people counting as 3/5 of a person and no votes for women....

There is. Have at it. Im sure all the small states are just chomping at the bit to approve an amendment making them irrelevant in the presidential election. How about you?

Old 05-04-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Work to change it.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:12 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Obama easily won twice. A horrible candidate not winning is not a reason to change anything. Why is the idea of offering a decent candidate that people can get behind now such a distasteful thing?

I am not a "righty".
Aside from the fact that millions more people voted for Hillary Clinton so how was she so horrible?

But this isn't about Hillary Clinton. Democrats have won the popular vote 4 out of the last 5 elections yet only held the presidency 2 of those elections. There's something very wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Work to change it.

I do. Part of that work is communicating with others to educate them.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Aside from the fact that millions more people voted for Hillary Clinton so how was she so horrible?
That's been covered endlessly.

Quote:
But this isn't about Hillary Clinton. Democrats have won the popular vote 4 out of the last 5 elections yet only held the presidency 2 of those elections. There's something very wrong with that.
Gore/Bush was iffy and anyone but Clinton would have won. I'm not going to vote to change the system just because the (D)'s picked (cheated for) the wrong candidate.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:21 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
Quote:

I do. Part of that work is communicating with others to educate them.
She was horrible because she was running against Donald J Trump....and in spite of that she only won the popular vote by 3 million or so. Anyone running against Trump should have won by 30 million votes.....not 3 million.

She called half of his supporters "deplorables". Given that the vote totals were roughly 50/50....that means that roughly 50 percent of Trumps voters were NOT "deplorables" but simply couldn't stomach HRC.....in spite of the fact that the only other option was Donald J Trump....you know, the joke candidate!

We can blame HRC for making a Trump Presidency even possible. Now if he actually manages to accomplish some good things, in spite of himself...lol, she'll really be unhinged. Stay tuned!

Old 05-04-2018, 08:21 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,272 times
Quote:
A candidate had to blow really, REALLY bad to lose to Trump. As has been discussed repeatedly, HRC won the popular vote because of California and New York (to name the top two). She was - and is - as corrupt and unsavory as Trump, just in different specifics.

Which says to me, party loyalty meant more (wrt the popular vote) than actually giving a damn about this country. Many of us were very resigned on election day, knowing we were voting for what we felt was the lesser of two evils. For me, that lesser evil was, and still is, Trump. I still don't like him, but I like a lot of what he's done so far. Enough that I will be much more apt to give him my vote the next go round, than I was in 2016.

Just for grins and sneezes, think of the more populated states (NY, CA, etc.) in terms of world countries. The three top global populations are China, India, United States. Should they be allowed to pick a hypothetical world-ruling government and ignore the input of lesser populated countries like Tonga, Greenland or Samoa simply because they have a smaller voice? In trade & commerce, sure, the big guys call the shots. But that doesn't mean the little guys don't get a say in who gets put in charge. An over simplified analogy, but you (should) get the point.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:55 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
What candidate in the right mind insults half of America and then expects some of them to vote for her.

Take away the Clinton name and no one with a brain would have voted for her, she only got votes because she is supposedly married to Bill Clinton. I wish she would just go away and stay away, maybe if we are lucky they will put her in jail for all her wrongdoings.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:10 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
She was unlikeable to the kind of people that supported Trump. It was largely about her energy. She comes across as more calculated/held back and they didn't like it. I read that she's an introvert as well and it would explain a lot about why she's unlikable. Us introverts are misunderstood..often thought of as cold people at least by extroverts and my guess is Trump's biggest supporters are extroverts. Not only that she is said to be an INTJ which is apparently the most hated of the groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections