Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 04:23 AM

13,765 posts, read 8,014,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Senate was never in doubt. Even Dems said it was a very long shot requiring them to flip seats in deep red areas. So, these results are pretty much what everyone predicted.

Going forward, Florida and five other States will allow ex-cons to vote, and in Florida that will mean 1.5 million new voters, most of them low income and minority, so that could tip the scales there given how close FL elections always are. Even now looks like the FL Senate race seems to be headed for a re-count.
No, not at all. The Dems and the MSM were hoping for much better results. The Rep. picked up 65 house sets in 2010 and this year the Dems will likely nap 33 or 34.

The Senate? There’s only been 5 times in the last 105 years an incumbent President has won seats in the Senate in the off year election. Trump hitting the campaign trail in support of Rep. candidates paid off very nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 04:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Senate was never in doubt. Even Dems said it was a very long shot requiring them to flip seats in deep red areas. So, these results are pretty much what everyone predicted.

Going forward, Florida and five other States will allow ex-cons to vote, and in Florida that will mean 1.5 million new voters, most of them low income and minority, so that could tip the scales there given how close FL elections always are. Even now looks like the FL Senate race seems to be headed for a re-count.
Never in doubt, you are right, but never was it predicted the GOP would pick up seats, especially 4. Why can't you and some of your liberal friends stop tipping and spinning? We are not talking about who will be able to vote next time, we are talking about 2018. BTW, don't be so sure all x cons are all poor, minorities, Dem or that they will even vote. You are grabbing at straws now.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:35 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Never in doubt, you are right, but never was it predicted the GOP would pick up seats, especially 4. Why can't you and some of your liberal friends stop tipping and spinning? We are not talking about who will be able to vote next time, we are talking about 2018. BTW, don't be so sure all x cons are all poor, minorities, Dem or that they will even vote. You are grabbing at straws now.
I'm not a Democrat, I'm anti-Trump and everything I saw before the election said that the Senate would be a no win for Democrats.

Can you link us to anything that says folks thought the Democrats would gain seats?

And once you lose one or two -- isn't it a slipper slope.....who cares.

And that is the same -- once the Republicans lost control of the house did the Democrats have to win more seats to control -- nope.

Look -- you are talking to a gal whose district is Democratic after 37 years -- lol.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:37 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Dems as of now picked up 26 House seats. Reps are leading in 14 races and Dems leading in 9. Not exactly the huge win Dems had wanted but not a bad showing either.
In the Senate, Reps now lead 51 to 43 seats and the 4 states that haven't been officially called are all leaning Rep. That's pretty remarkable.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:39 AM

Democrats have *flipped* 7 state legislative chambers and 333 seats, adding 6 more trifectas (gov+both chambers), per DLCC.

This was from a tweet this morning and I heard chatter about this last night.

MEH -- I don't know...just saying.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Democrats have *flipped* 7 state legislative chambers and 333 seats, adding 6 more trifectas (gov+both chambers), per DLCC.

This was from a tweet this morning and I heard chatter about this last night.

MEH -- I don't know...just saying.
Both parties did well last night. From his Tweets, Trump seems pretty happy with the overall results. He called Pelosi last night and congratulated her on her new job as House Speaker.
For an incumbent Pres in the midterms, his party did pretty well. He did many times better than Obama did in the midterms.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Both parties did well last night. From his Tweets, Trump seems pretty happy with the overall results. He called Pelosi last night and congratulated her on her new job as House Speaker.
For an incumbent Pres in the midterms, his party did pretty well.
Trump would never admit he isn't happy.

In my district, his darling candidate LOST. First Republican lost in 37 years -- lolololol.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:49 AM

And truth --- all that we know for sure -- more division than ever. Oh boy here we go again.

Seriously -- Trump can do a little victory dance, Democrats can -- and seriously -- it is not ideal at all.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:50 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Florida was always considered a dangerous place for Trump in 2016 because of minorities....but people just assume all minorities are anti-Wall.
The reality is, immigrants don't want more gangs entering their communities.
I remember Cubans in Florida were pro-Trump in 2016.
The wall is not a big issue down here.

Trump said he got 80+% of Cuban vote, but it turned out to be fake news. Cuban votes were split 50-50, which was worst ever for a GOP candidate. Younger Cubans lean Dem.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Trump would never admit he isn't happy.

In my district, his darling candidate LOST. First Republican lost in 37 years -- lolololol.
Oh, I think he certainly would. He would have come out swinging this morning blaming everyone else for his severe losses otherwise. So a Dem won in your district after 37 years. That's great, but it doesn't represent the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections