Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 05:16 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nate Silver's 538 says he could win the nomination.

How Pete Buttigieg Could Win The 2020

Democratic Nomination

They have a similar article about many, many candidates. It is an attempt to identify how it Could happen. It is not saying it will or favoring that candidate over others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 08:28 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Who supports him simply because he’s gay?

Do you have interviews to share?
Survey results?

Or is this yet another example of “because I said so?”

If so, it is you who is being condescending.
It is you who has completely dismissed all of his other qualifications by focusing solely on this one aspect.

Could have focused on his age or his education or his military service...

But you didn’t because you want to emphasize the fact that he’s gay lest anyone forget or didn’t know.

I wonder why that might be the case.
Never mind.
I don’t wonder at all.
{sigh} Again, it's about folks who say the support him as way to signal their own self-proclaimed virtue. It isn't about the actual candidate. It's "look at me I support the gay guy". Just like a number of folks who "supported" Obama simply because of his skin tone and Hillary because of her, well, you know

Grow up

Old 04-11-2019, 07:17 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
America is not putting a gay couple in the White house.
Don’t be so sure. I never thought we’d put an orange man in the White House either.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
{sigh} Again, it's about folks who say the support him as way to signal their own self-proclaimed virtue. It isn't about the actual candidate. It's "look at me I support the gay guy". Just like a number of folks who "supported" Obama simply because of his skin tone and Hillary because of her, well, you know

Grow up
Again, you have nothing but your contention that this is what people are doing.

To assume such is dismissive and insulting.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:23 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Don’t be so sure. I never thought we’d put an orange man in the White House either.
But, but, but he was on TV so it’s all good.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:34 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
I feel like we might have a civil war if this guy wins. Trump country, especially the Deep South, will NEVER accept a gay President. I even doubt at this point they would accept a straight Democrat. And considering how angry everyone already is over secularism, gay marriage, the loss of "Judeo-Christian values," and the supposed "moral decline of America," I worry this would be the straw that broke the camel's back. It sucks but that's where we are in this country right now.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:29 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I feel like we might have a civil war if this guy wins. Trump country, especially the Deep South, will NEVER accept a gay President. I even doubt at this point they would accept a straight Democrat. And considering how angry everyone already is over secularism, gay marriage, the loss of "Judeo-Christian values," and the supposed "moral decline of America," I worry this would be the straw that broke the camel's back. It sucks but that's where we are in this country right now.
WoW. Are you so disconnected from reality that you would cast a region of 140,000,000 as being homophobic? A statement such as that is a demonstration of the very bigotry that you so willingly make accusation.

Why don't you tell us where you live. We can do some comparing.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 04-11-2019 at 09:46 AM..

Old 04-11-2019, 10:53 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,288,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

Well it is unclear how much of a factor his sexuality will be. On net, it will almost certainly be a negative. But, how much of a negative seems unclear. Given the polarization of the parties, the heighten salience of highly emotional identity politics, the echo chamber media, and Trump's proclivity for division and demagoguery the next election promises to be a bruising nasty campaign.

It is unclear if Buittigeig would be hated more or less than other democratic candidates. He does have a midwestern nice guy demeanor and seems to stylistically talk about civility/understanding over resistance/revolution. But, the campaign is still early, his positions are largely unclear. He may say something to trigger conservatives or lose his "crossover appeal" if he goes left to prove if woke bona fides.

Based on the informal survey of threads on city data he doesn't seem to naturally inspires the kind of vitriol that: AOC, Ilhan Omar or even Kamala Harris or Elizabeth Warren inspire. Maybe it is due to being a midwestern white male who talks about his faith and military service, or his non-confrontational tone, or maybe its just than he is simply to new to the scene to have caught the ire of conservatives yet. But, for whatever reason he hasn't yet inspired the visceral hate that other contemporary Dems do or that an openly gay candidate would have 10-15 year ago.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:29 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post

Grow up
Obama wasn't elected because of his color. Or his name. No one was virtue-signaling the second time either.

If people were virtue-signaling, Herman Caine would have been a contender, and Ted Cruz would have been elected President.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:06 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
WoW. Are you so disconnected from reality that you would cast a region of 140,000,000 as being homophobic? A statement such as that is a demonstration of the very bigotry that you so willingly make accusation.

Why don't you tell us where you live. We can do some comparing.
I live in the South in an area where Trump is overwhelmingly popular. Anger over the same-sex marriage decision and by extension, the transgender movement is a big reason Trump is so beloved. But it isn't the only reason. Most people here see Trump as a strong-man standing up against secularism and the "moral decline" of America. It's not true but that's what most people believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections