Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 05:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

I told my wife when he first ran exactly what would happen. At that time I was supporting Richardson and I said to my wife "Obama is going nowhere NOT because whites will bring him down but the blacks in Chicago would bring him down.
I lived in Chicago for a number of years and I worked in 3 political campaigns in that city. And the worst kind of blacks live there. Black "leaders" with huge egos and a jealous streak against any other black that dares to not "stand his place in line" when it comes to politics. I know they would destroy this great candidate Obama. I watched them destroy other blacks in that city like Mayor Eugene Sawyer. And some of them tried to destroy Mayor Harold Washington before he died.
I was only wrong on how far Obama would go before the inevitible happened and who would do him in. I did not expect him to get as far as he did and I did not expect that the Chicago black that would destroy him would be his own pastor. I honestly thought that it would be the usual suspects- Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrakhan with the help of a few local politicians.
It probably would have been reapairable until the Press Club yesterday. But, as good as David Axlerod is, I don't think he will be able to fix this one. Too much damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 05:17 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
I wouldn't give up hope yet.
This will have no effect on his core supporters. They are gullible and believe he is something he is not. He's just a politician, as the rev said, and will say what he has to say to make it wright.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:22 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
I am not a fan of any candidate in the elections this year and am not really invested in any of the controversies involved with the campaigning, but I did find this issue more than a bit amusing.

Initially Obama claimed he had not heard any of this rhetoric from his pastor before, despite being a close friend and a church member for around 20 years (have heard both more and less than, so I am not sure exactly how long). Then the church rallies behind the pastor claiming he is being maligned and the message is taken out of context. Utube gets a slew of long excerpts and even a few full sermons and it does not appear that anything was taken out of context, just presented in a more sensational manner. Now the reverend jumps on stage and proclaims the same message in a non-sermon setting and Obama screams indignantly against the message to prove his outrage.

What is funny to me is that now it seems that either A) Obama never listened in church the whole 20 odd years he attended, or B) He is not that bright and never caught on to what was being said until his new advisors explained it to him.

Okay, maybe I am poking a little too much fun at the situation. He is a professional politician, after all, and trained to lie in order to get votes. Perhaps this is nothing more than bad luck and poor timing.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:31 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I am not a fan of any candidate in the elections this year and am not really invested in any of the controversies involved with the campaigning, but I did find this issue more than a bit amusing.

Initially Obama claimed he had not heard any of this rhetoric from his pastor before, despite being a close friend and a church member for around 20 years (have heard both more and less than, so I am not sure exactly how long). Then the church rallies behind the pastor claiming he is being maligned and the message is taken out of context. Utube gets a slew of long excerpts and even a few full sermons and it does not appear that anything was taken out of context, just presented in a more sensational manner. Now the reverend jumps on stage and proclaims the same message in a non-sermon setting and Obama screams indignantly against the message to prove his outrage.

What is funny to me is that now it seems that either A) Obama never listened in church the whole 20 odd years he attended, or B) He is not that bright and never caught on to what was being said until his new advisors explained it to him.

Okay, maybe I am poking a little too much fun at the situation. He is a professional politician, after all, and trained to lie in order to get votes. Perhaps this is nothing more than bad luck and poor timing.
My pastor has said things I disagree with. He is against abortion and I support abortion rights. He opposes school vouchers and I am for them in some circumstances. But if he talked like this guy, I would say "see ya later" and make a quick exit.
That said, people do change when they get old. They often let out things that they have held in for years and- especially when they are at or near retirement and can say what they want without having to worry about any consequences. I have heard of people that unload on the company, the boss and even co-workers at retirement. This could be such a case. It is entirely possible that Obama is telling the truth.
Somebody really should every sermon this guy did for the past 20 years and put all of them in the internet so people can listen to them and see if his tone has changed in the past few years.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:32 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
I tend to agree with you about the blacks bringing him down. Now Al Sharpton is trying to wage war with him now.. Could it be long before they are calling him "Uncle Tom".

Old 04-29-2008, 05:33 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,071 times
Hmmm, easily cheated or fooled. That's a little presumptive of you to paint us all with that same broad brush. I believe that he tries very hard to appeal to the best in all of us, obviously, he will have to try a little harder with you.
And KevK, you gotta have a little faith, like you said no one would think that he could get this far, and he has. Please hang in there!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:40 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,145 times
i thought it was smart manoevering on Axelrod's part, soonner of later Obama had to "disown" wright. The ABC interview hurt Obama and brought it up front and center that Obama had to chose and Wright gave him the opportunity to distance himself, whilst NOT losing the black vote

Old 04-29-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I have heard of people that unload on the company, the boss and even co-workers at retirement. This could be such a case. It is entirely possible that Obama is telling the truth.
Somebody really should every sermon this guy did for the past 20 years and put all of them in the internet so people can listen to them and see if his tone has changed in the past few years.
Did you miss the sermon after 9/11? The one where he equated the U.S. to terrorists?

It's obvious this guy has been preaching this philosophy for some time. Open your eyes.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Now Al Sharpton is trying to wage war with him now..
What do you mean? What is he doing?

Old 04-29-2008, 05:47 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Did you miss the sermon after 9/11? The one where he equated the U.S. to terrorists?

It's obvious this guy has been preaching this philosophy for some time. Open your eyes.

so had Hagee and all the rightwing nutcases?? so what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections