Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:05 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Agreed, no problem with people changing or disagreeing with some thoughts of another person and still claiming them as friends. I am friends with quite a few crackpots. I never tell people I never heard them say anything stupid though. I revel in the entertainment value they provide.

I have a couple of friends that are extreme representatives of both liberal and conservative thought. People who don't know them would be convinenced they are coming to blows at any second, but we have great fun poking at each others beliefs knowing that none of us will ever convince the others off their position.

But I would expect flack if I chose these guys to be my advisors in life and tried to win friends and influence people based on their viewpoints. I would expect to lose all of my credibility if I tried to persuade you that I never realized my friend of 20 years had those viewpoints, especially if that friend was anything more than a business acquaintance or some such similar relationship.

I have no issue with Obama having friends, nor even sticking to his friends when they become unpopular. I have been there and done that. I was once faced with a situation in high school where rumors were being spread to hurt the reputation of one of my friends and rather than distance myself from it to avoid being painted with the same brush I stood by her side and refuted the rumors as nonsense. I could do this because some of the rumors were that she had behaved inappropriatly with me as well, so I knew them to be untrue. She greatly appreciated it and I never regretted my actions either.

I don't think Obama should shun the reverend, but I think he made some pretty stupid political moves by publically linking himself with the reverend in a political relationship either knowing the reverend's politics or more incomprehensively not knowing a man he has held such a close relationship with for 20 years. If he is telling the truth and never knew what the reverend thinks, then he is socially very backward and politically a disaster. If he is a savvy politician that just miscalculated and is trying to clean things up the best he can, then he has to lie to do so.

Aside from the comic value of the situation, who would you prefer him to be..... The lying politician or the inept politician?
right now you cant prove that he lying, and he doesnt look inept to me

The people who thought to vote for him will vote for him, those that thought NOT to vote for him wont vote for him

The undecides will determine his fate, dont call it yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
fibber !!! McCain has not done such thing !!!

I don't even care for McCain, but it is well documented that he has denounced his comments.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I don't even care for McCain, but it is well documented that he has denounced his comments.
then you wont find problems in googling it for me

Old 04-29-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I was only wrong on how far Obama would go before the inevitible happened and who would do him in. I did not expect him to get as far as he did and I did not expect that the Chicago black that would destroy him would be his own pastor. I honestly thought that it would be the usual suspects- Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrakhan with the help of a few local politicians.
It probably would have been reapairable until the Press Club yesterday. But, as good as David Axlerod is, I don't think he will be able to fix this one. Too much damage.
Finally i get to have a reasonable discussion.

I realise u are a vet of the political game and you admitted to being wrong not once but twice on Obama. SO i suggest you have a bit more faith. Jesse jackson is onboard a long time ago.

For Axelrod to let this get on the press club without his knowing or consent was amateurish on his part.

whatever the case may be call it destiny

Old 04-29-2008, 08:11 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
then you wont find problems in googling it for me
Here is just one of many sources:

Updated: McCain calls Hagee views “nonsense,” takes jab at Obama « FOX Embeds « FOXNews.com

You should be informed if you are going to say something incorrect.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Here is just one of many sources:

Updated: McCain calls Hagee views “nonsense,†takes jab at Obama « FOX Embeds « FOXNews.com

You should be informed if you are going to say something incorrect.
took you that long??? and McCain in his flipflopping just called it nonsense on 24th April

why didnt he denounce and reject???

Old 04-29-2008, 08:15 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I told my wife when he first ran exactly what would happen. At that time I was supporting Richardson and I said to my wife "Obama is going nowhere NOT because whites will bring him down but the blacks in Chicago would bring him down.
I lived in Chicago for a number of years and I worked in 3 political campaigns in that city. And the worst kind of blacks live there. Black "leaders" with huge egos and a jealous streak against any other black that dares to not "stand his place in line" when it comes to politics. I know they would destroy this great candidate Obama. I watched them destroy other blacks in that city like Mayor Eugene Sawyer. And some of them tried to destroy Mayor Harold Washington before he died.
I was only wrong on how far Obama would go before the inevitible happened and who would do him in. I did not expect him to get as far as he did and I did not expect that the Chicago black that would destroy him would be his own pastor. I honestly thought that it would be the usual suspects- Jesse Jackson and Louis Farrakhan with the help of a few local politicians.
It probably would have been reapairable until the Press Club yesterday. But, as good as David Axlerod is, I don't think he will be able to fix this one. Too much damage.
If blacks are bent on destroying their own race then what will they do to other races?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
If blacks are bent on destroying their own race then what will they do to other races?
anyone getting tired of this type of idiocy??

Isnt that racism ??? the OP didnt really slander a whole race like this cookiecutter did

Old 04-29-2008, 08:34 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
Again, it is/was Obama who sat through this guy's sermons for 20+ years, contributing to his racist rants, let officiate his wedding, baptise his kids, referred to him as family, etc. Now when his numbers are slipping he tosses him under the bus with his grandmother; acting surprised at his views. What won't he say? Who won't he toss aside?

Seems to be a theme with his connections -- Ayers, Rezko, Wright. . . .

Old 04-29-2008, 08:38 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Agreed, no problem with people changing or disagreeing with some thoughts of another person and still claiming them as friends. I am friends with quite a few crackpots. I never tell people I never heard them say anything stupid though. I revel in the entertainment value they provide.

I have a couple of friends that are extreme representatives of both liberal and conservative thought. People who don't know them would be convinenced they are coming to blows at any second, but we have great fun poking at each others beliefs knowing that none of us will ever convince the others off their position.

But I would expect flack if I chose these guys to be my advisors in life and tried to win friends and influence people based on their viewpoints. I would expect to lose all of my credibility if I tried to persuade you that I never realized my friend of 20 years had those viewpoints, especially if that friend was anything more than a business acquaintance or some such similar relationship.

I have no issue with Obama having friends, nor even sticking to his friends when they become unpopular. I have been there and done that. I was once faced with a situation in high school where rumors were being spread to hurt the reputation of one of my friends and rather than distance myself from it to avoid being painted with the same brush I stood by her side and refuted the rumors as nonsense. I could do this because some of the rumors were that she had behaved inappropriatly with me as well, so I knew them to be untrue. She greatly appreciated it and I never regretted my actions either.

I don't think Obama should shun the reverend, but I think he made some pretty stupid political moves by publically linking himself with the reverend in a political relationship either knowing the reverend's politics or more incomprehensively not knowing a man he has held such a close relationship with for 20 years. If he is telling the truth and never knew what the reverend thinks, then he is socially very backward and politically a disaster. If he is a savvy politician that just miscalculated and is trying to clean things up the best he can, then he has to lie to do so.

Aside from the comic value of the situation, who would you prefer him to be..... The lying politician or the inept politician?
Great post. You nailed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections