Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,091,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post

Tama, you base this conclusion on what exactly???????
McMolly I base it on what I have read, observed in body language and speech, concluded from background and all the other ways people pick up information.
McCain Has been rude and I have seen it myself. During his last campaign against Bush he was vitriolic to Maria Shriver(reporter) for no reason. He keeps saying he is "proud" of himself--too much pride is a bad thing-he was rude and disrespectful to Romney during debates. He pursued his current wife(wealthy heiress) while married to the mother of his children who had a horrible automobile accident while struggling to raise his family when he was overseas. He sought public office with new wife's funds and had the gaul to berate Romney for his ability to support his own campaign.
He is humorless and self-important in my perception of him on the stump, in interviews, and from reputation.

Obama Has a beautiful family and is a family man. Has no history of self-aggrandizement. Has a sense of self-deprecation, respectful usually (the sweetie remark?) and shows genuine good manners in general.

I could change my mind but this is my opinion so far. As I said I don't like Obama's policies and prefer McCain's more "personal responsibility" approach. I do disagree with McCain on his pro-life, immigration, and Iraq stance and therefore will probably vote for ----who the heck knows--

Old 07-03-2008, 07:43 AM

956 posts, read 1,235,304 times
Tama, I don't have the facts about McCain's first marriage or exactly what happened. I try very hard not to read supposition and innuendo about what goes on in people's personal lives particularly so long ago. I do know that he has now been married to Cindy McCain for many years and I choose to judge that part of his character on the here and the now rather than something that occurred so long ago. That Cindy McCain is wealthy, that her fortune is inherited, has no bearing whatsoever on McCain's candidacy.

If we are to judge people by how they treat their wives, then let us turn to President Clinton. He is held in high esteem by almost all Democrats. In my eyes (and this is a matter of public record) he treated his wife in the most despicable way imaginable while holding the highest Office in the land. He did this in OUR White House on OUR time.

Fast forward to Mr. Obama who you seem to hold in high regard. As I wrote on another thread on this board let''s take a look at what Barack has done that proves his character. When pushed he finally threw his pastor under the bus ... the one who is like an "uncle", who he could no more desert than he could his own grandmother. And if he needs to, he'll throw his surrogate, Wesley Clark, under the bus as well.

When pushed, Obama finally leaves the church he loved and supported for 20 years while his pastor spouted hatred for his country. That is Mr. Obama's character in a nutshell.

So that's just my personal assessment of both men. There was a time not so long ago that we didn't pick people apart to the degree we do now. When Kennedy was President, I was very young. The public had no idea what was going on yet now we know that he hardly had the picture perfect marriage we envisioned ... and again his dalliances occurred while he was President.

We tear people's personal lives apart now and know every little detail of all the mistakes they have ever made. Who walks among us without faults, without past mistakes? No mortal man or woman. So we have to choose which mistakes we find the most forgivable and balance that with each candidate's views and approach to the challenges we now face.

We must then make our choice for who we feel will best serve us personally, who will also serve our country, and even our world.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
And has been posted and linked previously by others the world except for Israel wants Obama. Thus if people know what is best for them you might want to give Obama another look.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:13 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,091,373 times
McMolly How do you know I was using supposition and innuendo to form my opinion? I am perfectly capable of making informed decisions and I too refrain from using rumor, innuendo, and supposition. Your insistence that only your conclusions are honorable is based on what?
I feel there is enough documentation about McCain's marriages to form an opinion. From his own mouth he agreed he was unfaithful and acted inappropriately. If you choose to only use very recent behavior rather than a lifetime of decisions to base an opinion on, that is your choice but not necessarily a superior choice.
As for Obama--I am no fan of his politics and I have questions about his advocacies. However, the Wright situation could be interpreted as "throwing under the bus" or finally after much personal pain facing reality that the man betrayed him and was hurting his campaign which was much more important to many others than one single relationship. He knew Wright was a "big boy" and would survive and that he had also lost the immunity of friendship when he (Wright) went on the attack in public. I am not saying Obama is not a pure politician with all the warts and flaws required to succeed as such. I am simply saying that he has lived his life in a way to suggest he has a more even temper, less self-regard, more thoughtfulness, less arrogance and hostility than John McCain. That is the picture I get of the two men after months of public exposure and in the case of McCain years of public scrutiny.
They do have a record and it may have individual points of error within it but there is a broad brush stroke that suggests an essence of each. It could be wrong but the election is a few months away and we have to base our vote on something to the best of our ability. McCain's philosophy may trump his personality or not. That is a decision voters have to make. And again-I don't use innuendo or rumor.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:34 PM

Yes and dispite how many times we post we can be assured that it really doesn't matter to anything/anybody other then ourselves and that makes it fun and a good way to pass time while doing something meaningful.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:31 PM

994 posts, read 1,545,128 times
Now we know that the 'compassionate conservatives' are really 'compassionate conservative c*unts'! Hahaha!

Old 07-04-2008, 07:51 AM

956 posts, read 1,235,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
McMolly How do you know I was using supposition and innuendo to form my opinion?......................
Your insistence that only your conclusions are honorable is based on what?
1. Sorry if you misinterpreted. I never said you were using supposition and innuendo. I said only that I don't.

2. Again, sorry if you misinterpreted. I never said only my conclusions are honorable. Where do you see that in my post? Please point it out.

One thing that people seem to misunderstand on this board and others is that everyone (including you) is voicing only his/her personal opinion. And your opinion is no worse and no better than mine. From my pespective, mine is better ... from your's, your opinion is better.

I certainly never suggested you or anyone else can't have their own view from the information they have gathered. I don't begrudge you that and I would appreciate it very much if you would afford me the same courtesy.

Somewhere along the way it seems that Liberals decided that any view other than their own is somehow wrong. I don't subscribe to that. I believe there are many interpretation of the facts and you and I simply don't see things the same way.

There is no one here on this board who can decide who is right and who is wrong. Only time and history will tell us that .... and even that may be long after we are dead and gone.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:01 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
1. Sorry if you misinterpreted. I never said you were using supposition and innuendo. I said only that I don't.

2. Again, sorry if you misinterpreted. I never said only my conclusions are honorable. Where do you see that in my post? Please point it out.

One thing that people seem to misunderstand on this board and others is that everyone (including you) is voicing only his/her personal opinion. And your opinion is no worse and no better than mine. From my pespective, mine is better ... from your's, your opinion is better.

I certainly never suggested you or anyone else can't have their own view from the information they have gathered. I don't begrudge you that and I would appreciate it very much if you would afford me the same courtesy.

Somewhere along the way it seems that Liberals decided that any view other than their own is somehow wrong. I don't subscribe to that. I believe there are many interpretation of the facts and you and I simply don't see things the same way.

There is no one here on this board who can decide who is right and who is wrong. Only time and history will tell us that .... and even that may be long after we are dead and gone.
I beg to differ...everyone has a right AND responsibility to decide what is right and wrong....your statement:"There is no one here on this board who can decide who is right and who is wrong. Only time and history will tell us that .... ""

...is abdicating the responsibility of deciding what is right and wrong.

Americans have been doing that far too long!

"""""One thing that people seem to misunderstand on this board and others is that everyone (including you) is voicing only his/her personal opinion. And your opinion is no worse and no better than mine"""

No, plenty of people post facts....and some opinions ARE better than others especially the ones based on facts.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I beg to differ...everyone has a right AND responsibility to decide what is right and wrong....your statement:"There is no one here on this board who can decide who is right and who is wrong. Only time and history will tell us that .... ""

...is abdicating the responsibility of deciding what is right and wrong.

Americans have been doing that far too long!

"""""One thing that people seem to misunderstand on this board and others is that everyone (including you) is voicing only his/her personal opinion. And your opinion is no worse and no better than mine"""

No, plenty of people post facts....and some opinions ARE better than others especially the ones based on facts.
In the eyes of the poster they are better, however I by no stretch of the imagination believe that my views will prevail because they are mine. I might believe that events will play out a certain way but I know that there are to many variables in our complex world for anyone to do anything but experience history as it happens. As far as facts go, they are determined and written by those in charge or who won the last war. Rember that as today we celebrate our independence and the American Revolution our friends in England study the Rebellion in the Colonies? Would the factual history of the world studied today be the same if Germany and Japan had won the second world war. Talk about an oil crisis here.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:45 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Why, it's John McCain

If he weren't surrounded by reporters at the time, he would have denied it. Thus far, Mr. McCain has not.

When Cindy started playing with his hair and said it was thinning, he turned red-faced and said, "At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you c--t." Wow.

I can't wait for him to blow up like this on national television.

Maybe this will help Hillary supporters make their decision on who to vote for. That, and vowing to overturn Row vs. Wade. Or maybe cheating on his disabled wife and leaving her for a younger woman.

Will the real John McCain stand up | World news | The Guardian
You liberals are to over sensitive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections