Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:52 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,435,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Spark plugs and wires are there for the life of the car. Fuel injectors don't need cleaning. Oil filter, oil, air filter. Sorry that is not what a tuneup is.

The above services don't apply to any car I have owned since the 80s. Would I love to own a muscle car that needed a tuneup? You betcha!

None of that invalidates Obama's point about tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Obama is an idiot, plain and simple.

"Inflat your tires and get tune-ups."

Pathetic.

Ok. Ask any tech how many times he's suggested someone do their 30/60/90K service and they said, nah, I'll wait. Happens all the time. It's a tune-up. Your car is a machine that runs more efficiently per the engineers specs and service recommendations.
This is offensive!? Wow.
Consumer Report has been saying this for years and we don't consider those guys idiots, or do we?

BTW, if you're not running Nitrogen in your tires, you should be.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,933,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
None of that invalidates Obama's point about tires.
Equal to drilling for new oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
You know very little about automobiles....
Yep. I'm coming to a similar conclusion.

1,867 posts, read 4,079,791 times
Its so pathetic how they actually have to create a 10 second soundbite so that they can try to make a point from Obama's words that are taken totally out of context. Clearly pumping our tires was not Obama's only suggestion for curing our energy crisis. It was but ONE example of thousands of ways that we can all work to lower our nation's collective energy consumption. Remember, we consume by far more energy than all other countries put together, including China and India. If we all did a bunch of little things every day, like the tires example, we can make a true difference.

But that was just ONE EXAMPLE. Certainly not Obama's only or even primary answer to the Bush/Cheney energy crisis.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:57 PM

634 posts, read 1,420,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Let me see, unless Obama is driving a beat up old clunker he should know that newer cars don't get tune-ups anymore. I can't remember the last car I owned that needed tune-ups. As far as inflating tires, know one is that stupid. I think he was just going for the effect. He can't be that stupid. If he is we are in serious trouble.

I hear that.

I could save some fuel by buying a newer dually with modern over drive. My 1975 Chevy flatbed dually gets 7mpg,it is in fine tune and has 80 psi in all 6 tires. Yes, I know it'd get better mpg if I pulled the 4.56 rear gears out allong with the granny low std shift transmission that was built before the days of over drive, and replace them with road gears and a OD tranny, but then it wouldn't pull six horses in these hills. I could buy a newer heavy truck spending several thousands to save a few mpg, but being I only drive it about three days a year, it would cost me thousands more than just keeping my old faithfull.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:58 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,495,679 times
Soccersupporter: You're correct on all of that maintenance stuff, but we still do get "tuneups" (even though that's not that accurate a term anymore).

Although I don't agree about never changing plugs out.

And while the suggestion Obama made is kind of silly, proper inflation really does help mileage, especially if you're running those tires really low. There is no answer to offshore drilling, because offshore drilling itself is not the answer to any problem, so take that as you will.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:58 PM

No I think tune-ups and tires about covers the drilling crisis. I can't wait for the economy.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Ok. Ask any tech how many times he's suggested someone do their 30/60/90K service and they said, nah, I'll wait. Happens all the time. It's a tune-up. Your car is a machine that runs more efficiently per the engineers specs and service recommendations.
This is offensive!? Wow.
Consumer Report has been saying this for years and we don't consider those guys idiots, or do we?

BTW, if you're not running Nitrogen in your tires, you should be.
Before jumping on the Nitrogen bandwagon. Just pays to fully informed.

The Truth About Filling Your Tires with Nitrogen | The Truth About Cars

Old 07-30-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
no i think tune-ups and tires about covers the drilling crisis. I can't wait for the economy.
:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections