Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:05 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
you know what? CARTER warned us about this addiction to Oil 30 Years ago but we blew him off as a whacko Liberal and just kept on buying the biggest baddest SUVS & Hummers. Well America you made your bed now lie in it.
As a conservative I give Carter little credit for anything except for being very incompetent as a leader. However, I do recognize that he is the only President who has truly pushed the need to develop alternative sources of energy. That push sadly went unfulfilled.

If Obama wants to lead a nation, he would do well not to tell Americans to lie in the bed they've made. As a leader, he had better have some real solutions besides good auto maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 PM

634 posts, read 1,420,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Really, I have never had to have anything done to my cars other that what I have described. Now granted I don't keep any of my cars after 75,000-100,000 miles. I am not the fool that takes my car in to the dealer and asks for those 30,000 60,000, 90,000 check ups. I take my car in and tell them to do what the manufacturer requires to keep my warranty valid. I am not a sucker because I know what my cars needs per the manufacturer. And guess what neither of my cars say anything about valve adjustments, tuneups, fuel injector cleaning, spark plug wire/spark plug replacement, coolant replacement before 100,000 miles, . I wonder why?

Yep, I am the one that knows nothing about my car. That might be why I have never had any major problem with my cars and don't spend half of what you do. I think we know how is the one that knows nothing about cars. The dealer's mechanic smells you before you hit the driveway.

And BTW I am also not dumb enough to change my oil every 3000 miles. Experts will tell you that unless your driving is very severe it is a waste of oil and bad for the environment. We all know how short we are on oil.

Our last two ''new'' ones have been a 97 Ram 1500 4x4 360 Magnum, and last a 2000 Cougar. We sold the 97 Ram last year with 266,000 miles and the only thing we replaced on it were.

Oil and filter each 10k.

Plugs at 100k, they looked like new so I didn't replace them again after that.

Fuel filter twice, once at 100k,and again at 200k

Air filter at 50k and it was not that dirty so didn't change it again untill 150k, then 250k.

Water pump at 150k, it never leaked again.

In tank fuel pump at 240k

When new I added a tranny cooler, and did what the manual said to do, and that was to never pull the trailer in over drive,,even on the interstate at 70 mph. We never had a problem with the tranny. It really did ''pay off'' to turn the OD off while towing.

The manual stated not to pour anything in the gas tank to thinking the injectors may be dirty, so we never did. It ran smooth as new the day we sold it.

The Cougar.

Oil and filter each 10k ( 10,000 miles ). It's all hwy miles so not as bad

No plugs yet, they looked like new at 100k so I put the couple I checked right back in there.

Fuel, and air filter, 100k

It has 134k now and runs like it did the day we bought it, can't hear it run until the electric fan kicks on.

It still gets 27 mpg, same as it did new.

I done mechanic work many years, and dealers do push crap off on you if you fall for it.

Example, I was under doctors care so I had my wife run it to the dealer to change oil at that time. They did, but they tried their best to get her to let them service the transmission.She called me and asked, and I told her the tranny fluid was clean, pinkish red in color and being it was 70k, not to let them toutch the tranny.They said it was needed each 50k, so I asked her to get out the manual and read what I seen in there myself. It said the the tranny should have a fluid change at 150k ( first change ). I remember the days of working as a mechanic and the boss pushing belts,hoses, transmission services and much more that were not needed. When tranny fluid is burnt and dirty, what do you think contaminated it? Clutch linings have broken down and changing the fluid ain't going to cure that. I rebuilt my share of transmissions for people and know whats behind dirty fluid. I tell them if it ain't broke, don't fix it.Fluid looks good, don't worry about changing it. In our case,if it had been a must for warrenty at 70k, then our manual wouldn't say change it at 150k ( first change ). Watch those dealers folks, and check the condition of what they tell you needs replacing.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:17 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Obama is an idiot, plain and simple.

"Inflat your tires and get tune-ups."

Pathetic.

Obama is an extraordinary intellect. Graduated #1 at Harvard.

Why are you so jealous/bitter?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
At my age I would be more worried about cardiac arrest. But then I have two air compressors, one at the house and one at the shop. I need them to keep the proper inflation in my 33X12.5x15" Goodyears on my 3/4 ton GMC.

I think somewhere inthe U.S. Constitution is the right to bear air compressors?

I hear ya!

My compressor will stay in my shop as well as my air tools. Long as there's electricity, my kids will use the shop after I'm to old to

Old 07-30-2008, 09:21 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
As a conservative I give Carter little credit for anything except for being very incompetent as a leader. However, I do recognize that he is the only President who has truly pushed the need to develop alternative sources of energy. That push sadly went unfulfilled.

If Obama wants to lead a nation, he would do well not to tell Americans to lie in the bed they've made. As a leader, he had better have some real solutions besides good auto maintenance.
As a not-so-conservative, I can agree with pretty much that whole statement, especially about Carter.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Obama is a complete fool. He has no answers and when he does he is usually wrong.

Obama is in foreign big oil companies pockets seeing the donations from overseas oil company execs. Now I know why he does not want us to drill our own oil.

Sure he wants green energy, wake up you moron, that will take 30 years to develop, and if you were so green why haven't you as a Senator come up with your own bill and have it already in progress. And I thought Obama was a leader. NOT !
We have millions of acres under lease contracts with big oil, that have yet to be drilled. When you combine that fact with the right's flip flop (first they don't want to drill and now they do) before the election, you realize this is nothing more than a right wing political maneuver.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:30 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
The "C" in rap is silent.
Now that is funny! At this late hour I had to read it twice but nearly fell out of my chair laughing when it connected.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:11 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
Our last two ''new'' ones have been a 97 Ram 1500 4x4 360 Magnum, and last a 2000 Cougar. We sold the 97 Ram last year with 266,000 miles and the only thing we replaced on it were.

Oil and filter each 10k.

Plugs at 100k, they looked like new so I didn't replace them again after that.

Fuel filter twice, once at 100k,and again at 200k

Air filter at 50k and it was not that dirty so didn't change it again untill 150k, then 250k.

Water pump at 150k, it never leaked again.

In tank fuel pump at 240k

When new I added a tranny cooler, and did what the manual said to do, and that was to never pull the trailer in over drive,,even on the interstate at 70 mph. We never had a problem with the tranny. It really did ''pay off'' to turn the OD off while towing.

The manual stated not to pour anything in the gas tank to thinking the injectors may be dirty, so we never did. It ran smooth as new the day we sold it.

The Cougar.

Oil and filter each 10k ( 10,000 miles ). It's all hwy miles so not as bad

No plugs yet, they looked like new at 100k so I put the couple I checked right back in there.

Fuel, and air filter, 100k

It has 134k now and runs like it did the day we bought it, can't hear it run until the electric fan kicks on.

It still gets 27 mpg, same as it did new.

I done mechanic work many years, and dealers do push crap off on you if you fall for it.

Example, I was under doctors care so I had my wife run it to the dealer to change oil at that time. They did, but they tried their best to get her to let them service the transmission.She called me and asked, and I told her the tranny fluid was clean, pinkish red in color and being it was 70k, not to let them toutch the tranny.They said it was needed each 50k, so I asked her to get out the manual and read what I seen in there myself. It said the the tranny should have a fluid change at 150k ( first change ). I remember the days of working as a mechanic and the boss pushing belts,hoses, transmission services and much more that were not needed. When tranny fluid is burnt and dirty, what do you think contaminated it? Clutch linings have broken down and changing the fluid ain't going to cure that. I rebuilt my share of transmissions for people and know whats behind dirty fluid. I tell them if it ain't broke, don't fix it.Fluid looks good, don't worry about changing it. In our case,if it had been a must for warrenty at 70k, then our manual wouldn't say change it at 150k ( first change ). Watch those dealers folks, and check the condition of what they tell you needs replacing.
Nice to hear from someone with some intelligence when it comes to cars.

My belief is the same. I only do what is required to keep the warranty valid. Dealers will take advantage of the less informed like many who have stated their opinions here.

I grew up around cars, racing. My dad grew up with Parnelli Jones and had Dan Gurney as a business neighbor. My little brother raced motocross and we all had our share of pulling motors, trannies. Even as an adult I did not stop doing my own work on my cars until it just became too difficult to get special tools and avoid getting into trouble with the HOA.

People are so ignorant some times. I understand women being taken advantage of some times when it comes to cars. God only know many have tired to talk my wife into uneeded repairs and I have threatened many a mechanic for their attempted abuse. But how some of these men have fallen for it is unbelievable.

Anyways like I said good to hear from somone that knows what they are talking about.

BTW, I had a 2000 Cougar, CA edition with all the wings, etc.. I loved the car but gave it up just before moving to TX. It was a fun car. I had heard of so many problems people had. I just kept the oil changed and it ran like a top. Fun to drive and great gas mileage. I was sorry to see them quit production so quickly. Thinking about investing in a classic in my older years. Looking for a 69' Camaro right now, no luck

Old 07-31-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Nice to hear from someone with some intelligence when it comes to cars.

My belief is the same. I only do what is required to keep the warranty valid. Dealers will take advantage of the less informed like many who have stated their opinions here.

I grew up around cars, racing. My dad grew up with Parnelli Jones and had Dan Gurney as a business neighbor. My little brother raced motocross and we all had our share of pulling motors, trannies. Even as an adult I did not stop doing my own work on my cars until it just became too difficult to get special tools and avoid getting into trouble with the HOA.

People are so ignorant some times. I understand women being taken advantage of some times when it comes to cars. God only know many have tired to talk my wife into uneeded repairs and I have threatened many a mechanic for their attempted abuse. But how some of these men have fallen for it is unbelievable.

Anyways like I said good to hear from somone that knows what they are talking about.

BTW, I had a 2000 Cougar, CA edition with all the wings, etc.. I loved the car but gave it up just before moving to TX. It was a fun car. I had heard of so many problems people had. I just kept the oil changed and it ran like a top. Fun to drive and great gas mileage. I was sorry to see them quit production so quickly. Thinking about investing in a classic in my older years. Looking for a 69' Camaro right now, no luck
Same way with Dodge, I pulled many transmissions out of them but in 266,000 miles, I never had to pull mine. Alot of the problems were the trucks owners, not the trucks. Folks didn't listen and kept towing trailers to big for the 1500's leaving them in OD rather than turning off the OD ''like the manual says to''. Constantly shifting in and out trying to pull trailers or hills is just not good on transmissions.Lots of hills here, lol. Most folks just put gas in it and drop it in drive with the radio up so they can't hear the OD shifting in and out. Sadly, they blame Dodge when the tranny fails.

The Cougars had a few issues in 1999, but they had the bugs worked out in 2000. Though ours ain't give any problems, I did have one come in needing an alternator. I'd love to personally give the engineer my opinion to

My wife knew a local lady that bought a 79 Camaro brand new and hardly drove it.She bought it in 1988 from her and still drives it some today. I went all through that s.o.b in 89 right before we married.You know how it goes,a feller hasta win a girls heart with somethin' she loves right. I remember after I totaly went through it and she finally let me drive it cause it was the first and only time it had seen snow.She didn't want a scratch on it. I was like a kid with a new toy, cause it was hers and she had never let me drive it before.She knew about all those engines I scattered on the roadway in my h*ll-rasin' days ( scattered a few since then to, just not in hers lol )

I'm not quite that bad anymore, I sold my hotrods but we kept her Camaro.It still runs good and never seen roadsalt. I still eat it up on atv's and horses though. My son wants the Camaro as his first car but I remember to well my early days, and know it'll still zoom.The cam hits so sweet through the true duals and she's geared just right to end up in a ditch. He's not getting in this solid classic. I was once a kid to,that grew up slowly

Not quite this bad, but you get the picture

YouTube - Insane Driver!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuKYB...eature=related

Last edited by RS-1080; 07-31-2008 at 02:45 AM..

Old 07-31-2008, 02:52 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Welcome | Bob Barr for President of the United States (http://www.bobbarr2008.com/splash/video/?s0618 - broken link)

Vote Bob Barr - Send them a sign that we will not take it any longer, vote for a real change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections