Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:18 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,584,906 times

Advertisements

How about tuning up the economy Mr. Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 03:26 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,960,642 times
All these threads.. are looking for answers.. here you are at a crossroads. Make a difference, send a message, make a change..

Welcome | Bob Barr for President of the United States (http://www.bobbarr2008.com/splash/video/?s0618 - broken link)

Vote Bob Barr - Send them a sign that we will not take it any longer, vote for a real change!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:58 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,942,317 times
I do not believe Obama was saying that a tune up and tire inflation would be the end of gas prices. The suggestion was an "in the meanwhile". But at least he is sticking his neck out there and suggesting something short term. No other answer so far will help in the short term. Drilling will take a while as will developing new resources.

It doesn't really matter what the guy says for most of you people. It's just about bashing and that's fine. But at least pick something interesting.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:04 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
What's the problem? It's a well known fact properly inflated tires increase gas mileage.

Better than McCain's idea of selling himself and then the country to Big Oil.
Define "Big Oil", and why you think (apparently) the oil companies are the bad guys here. Also please explain how McCain is "selling himself and then the country" to "Big Oil"?

The oil companies are trying to provide us with a product that we need. They are entitled (like any other company) to make a profit doing that. That is why they are in business. They are not in business to lose money.

Drilling and exploration is mega expensive. They pay for leases on land which may or may not have any oil. Studies must be done to determine this (more expense and time). Pelosi whines that they have not drilled on leases they already have. She is either stupid, or purposely lying to the American people about this to make the oil companies the enemy. While they may have leases, if it is determined that there is no oil to be produced, there will be no drilling, and eventually the lease will expire. Pelosi knows this (or should) if she isn't just plain stupid. Personally, I think she is stupid and a liar.

The government (thank you Democrats) has increased taxes on these companies, which becomes part of the cost of doing business; i.e., part of the cost of the pump price of gasoline, and the cost of all other products, like heating oil (again, thank you DEMOCRATS — I can no longer afford heating oil, so we're cold in the winter at 60 degrees in our home.) The DEMOCRATS impose taxes (or remove tax breaks — same thing) as punishment for what they call "windfall profits", or "excessive profits". The oil companies have no "windfall profits" by definition. The government does. The government does nothing to produce the product, but makes more on a gallon of gasoline than the oil companies that produce it. That is the definition of a "windfall profit".

Taxes will always be passed on to the consumer in the form of higher prices. Any of you out there who are in business know this (I'm self employed). All costs involved in producing a product are part of the price you pay for that product. This is as it should be.

Obama's remark about tire inflation and tune-ups is silly in that this fails to address the real problem which is short supply, and it is a self inflicted shortage, a phony shortage, because there is no shortage of oil, we simply must take steps to produce more. More drilling more refineries. Our government is the chief obstacle in our ability to become energy independent, which we used to be. This is what Obama fails to acknowledge.

P.S. I used to work in the "oil patch" business in the 70's and 80's. I know something about some of this stuff. We manufactured underwater TV systems and remote controlled vehicles for the offshore drilling and exploration industry.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
All these threads.. are looking for answers.. here you are at a crossroads. Make a difference, send a message, make a change..

Welcome | Bob Barr for President of the United States (http://www.bobbarr2008.com/splash/video/?s0618 - broken link)

Vote Bob Barr - Send them a sign that we will not take it any longer, vote for a real change!
Change to ... what?

You have all these people who say they want "change". Yet none of them can spell out just what "change" they want.

Obama only offers to return to a 70's Carter era; i.e., higher taxes, more government etc. He isn't offering anything we haven't already suffered through in a past era. None of the Democrats are.

The last eight years have not been bad. Sure, there is a slow down in the economy right now, but it isn't really too bad. We've had worse (and with Democrats in power).

It's largely the price of oil that is creating the economic problems we have right now, and the silly notion that we can use food for fuel (read "corn") to replace our dependence on oil.

Making ethanol from corn is wreaking havoc on the price of food, from chicken to beef, eggs, dairy, anything that is corn fed or that uses corn (tortillas) is going up in price, and not just a little. Even the cat food I buy for our cats has gone up dramatically (a 20# bag has risen about $1.50 in the last six months — corn meal).

Food costs and oil prices affect everything. People put off building projects, so new home construction and remodeling suffers. They take shorter vacations, or none at all, so the travel industry suffers.

It's not "Bush's fault", as so many are quick to say. It is the governments fault, and right now and for the last 1 1/2 years, the Democrats have been in power (Really longer than that because there have been sufficient numbers in the Senate to screw up the works for a long time). Yeah that's right. Look when the economy started taking a slide folks.

"Change" is what you will have left in your pocket when Obama and the Democrats get finished with you. Believe it!

Right, vote for Bob Barr and ensure an Obama victory. That is the result of a third candidate mucking up the works (how we wound up with Clinton for eight miserable years — can we remember Ross Perot?).

Old 07-31-2008, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I do not believe Obama was saying that a tune up and tire inflation would be the end of gas prices. The suggestion was an "in the meanwhile". But at least he is sticking his neck out there and suggesting something short term. No other answer so far will help in the short term. Drilling will take a while as will developing new resources.

It doesn't really matter what the guy says for most of you people. It's just about bashing and that's fine. But at least pick something interesting.
It will not take near the ten years that Pelosi and that bunch say it will. Production could be increased in a matter of months in some areas if they would allow drilling.

Much of the time involved in developing new areas is taken up in government red tape, not moving equipment around and doing the actual drilling. And of course you will have the environmentalist wacko's doing there part to slow things down.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:41 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,933,722 times
Why doesn't the government do something really viable, like giving companies incentives to encourage telecommuting for a vast number of people. The technology is there, the savings on fuel would be incredible, but these idiots in the government (both Republican and Democrat) just can't seem to THINK!

http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/5d/images.art.com/images/-/Dumb-Dumber--C10090018.jpeg (broken link)

Old 07-31-2008, 05:49 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Why doesn't the government do something really viable, like giving companies incentives to encourage telecommuting for a vast number of people. The technology is there, the savings on fuel would be incredible, but these idiots in the government (both Republican and Democrat) just can't seem to THINK!
"Expand Flexible Work Arrangements: Obama will create a program to inform businesses about the benefits of flexible work schedules; help businesses create flexible work opportunities; and increase[*] federal incentives for telecommuting. Obama will also make the federal government a model employer in terms of adopting flexible work schedules and permitting employees to request flexible arrangements." - http://www.barackobama.com/issues/economy/

* - evidently there already is something in place.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:51 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,868,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post

Please......"sticking his neck out" with that statement????? I am rolling in the floor with laughter. My local mechanic tells me about tire pressure and tune ups. I expect the MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more from the President of the US than some simpleton answer that everyone already knows.

It was a pathetic and weak answer. Obama's teleprompter must have been turned off at the time. He actually had to think for a moment....and you see the answer we got. Dumb, dumb and Michelle makes dumber.

Last edited by gsupstate; 07-31-2008 at 06:11 AM..

Old 07-31-2008, 06:09 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Please......"sticking his neck out" with that statement????? I am rooling in the floor with laughter. My local mechanic tells me about tire pressure and tune ups. I expect the MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more from the President of the US than some simpleton answer that everyone already knows.

It was a pathetic and weak answer. Obama's teleprompter must have been turned off at the time. He actually had to think for a moment....and you see the answer we got. Dumb, dumb and Michelle makes dumber.
Why is it so dumb when it works? I doubt he was saying it was a new idea no one's thought of before, just a reminder. Like a reminder to put your cans in the recycle bin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections