Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 05:43 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Good post. You'll have to consider yourself repped though because they tell me I have to "spread the love around" before I can rep you.
I repped him for ya.

I like what he said. Most of us are not bashing the girl, we bash the Gov, but not the girl. In fact, both Bristol AND her baby are fine by me. What the fundies refuse to understand, or even to acknowledge, is the basic human yearning to love and be loved. It's human. Bristol was only being human. But to the fundies, such expressions of LOVE are a 4 letter word. I can't believe the girl got pregnant on purpose, but we'll never know, and don't need to.

What is wrong with Gov Palin at this point is the hypocritical nonsense of the evangelical extremists who want "abstinence" to be the ONLY thing taught to OUR kids, in OUR public schools, even though it does not work and never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 05:43 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I think there is some hypocracy when it comes family values in the republican party, their ideology surrounding the issue is just not realistic.. and that is why issues like this make them out to be hypocritical...
as for Palins daughter being pregnant... I think that the media should leave this alone. I don't plan on voting for mccain/palin.. but I don't think hashing this poor girl's situation out on a national stage for the sake of politics is the right thing to do..
Let's remember that this girl is a minor.. a child herself.. and the family's privacy should be respected...
I think it is great that she is having her baby and was given the choice to do so.. she was able to make a choice...but lets not sidetrack the election away from real issues.. by using this poor girl as a pawn.... The situation is known to the public.. let it stand for what it is... people can make their own judgements and assumptions... but we certainly do not have any place to condemn or point fingers to make political points...The hypocracy surrounding the family values party speaks for itself... take it however you wish...

1. Palin and her family lost all right to privacy the day SHE decided to run for office.

2. Bristol had NO choice but to have the baby...you REALLY think her mother would've OK'd an abortion??? She will have NO choice in marrying but be forced to marry the father.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:48 PM

365 posts, read 525,468 times
I care. I think everyone should care and be concern about all children and teen's pregnacy. My main focus would be:

1. is this a result of Palin not being able to supervise a child, then my concern is can she supervise a country?
2. is this a result of Palin not making careful plans for her child's future by encouraging prevention and practicing abstinence, then my concern is can she make careful plans for this country?
3. is this a result of Palin not paying attention to her child's teen needs, then my concern is will she pay attention to the needs of this country?

No need to continue my list, because it will take too long. But my point is that children are the most important part of this world and all they have are the grown-ups to reach to. One of reason, and there are many, I am voting for Obama is because he will benefit our children the most as the president. Also I am please with Biden as VP, unlike Palin, he didn't hide anything.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:49 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
The Republicans had 8 years with Reagan, 4 years with Bush I, and 8 years with Bush II to show me that they have any intention of doing anything about abortion. They have done NOTHING!!!!!! In fact the only time they even MENTION abortion is at campaign time when they want my money or my vote. Abortion didn't change one single bit WHOEVER was in the white house. In the meanwhile, the neo cons made a mockery of all my other Christian values such as; taking care of the "least of these", feeding the poor, being peacemakers, doing unto others what you would have others do unto you, showing God's love and kindness to others. Those too are very important values to me if I am to practice what the One I follow teaches. And I am not about to turn my back on those teachings and values because those who have NO INTENTION of giving up their biggest fund raising issue manipulate me once again by talking about how they dislike abortion and doing nothing about it. I'll vote for those who will at least feed, clothe, educate, and house the babies who ARE born.
Yes, I love the Republicans who are so pro-life about unborn children (yes, I do believe that life begins at conception), but don't give a damn about them once they are born.

They are the biggest hypocrites. African-American teenage pregnancies in urban areas = the destruction of "family values" by liberal principles.
white, Republican teens get pregnant = a glorious day for traditional values.

What a wonderful bunch. No wonder this country is so screwed up.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:49 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
1. Palin and her family lost all right to privacy the day SHE decided to run for office.

2. Bristol had NO choice but to have the baby...you REALLY think her mother would've OK'd an abortion??? She will have NO choice in marrying but be forced to marry the father.
I disagree.. Palin is running for office... not her family..
and to some degree her husband could be discussed.. but kids??? they're minors... I do not agree with this notion that smearing the poor decisions of kids to make political points... good kids make mistakes... keep it about the issue.. not about the girl...

I think Bristol could have made a choice.. she could have gone to canada or any other state to recieve any kind of care she wanted.. I think the girl wanted to keep the child no matter what her mother thinks.. and that is fine..
I don't think we should be putting words in her mouth or making up issues for the sake of political discussion... the issue is... she DID have a choice.. and she made her choice... the fact that she wanted to keep the child does not go against the argument of choice...

Old 09-01-2008, 05:51 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Fair post. However, you forget that under the last 8 years our gov't and associated deficit has gotten bigger not smaller. There is nothing conservative about today's Republican party. I also haven't seen them doing anything on welfare reform. Last I checked the welfare to work program was heralded by the Cinton administration. Also, it's no secret that high income states, many of them blue states, like like New Jersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts pay more in taxes than they receive in federal spending, while low-income states like Mississippi, West Virginia and Alabama got a much higher return for their tax dollars so blue states are in essence subsidizing red states. Isn't this a redistribution of wealth? If Republicans actually walked the talk of reducing government, creating the environment for job creation that can get people off assistance, addressing our borders, etc., you wouldn't see the great divide between the parties. The problem is a lot of talk over the last 8 years and no action.
If one were to bother, the GAO has loads of stats available for download. The current debt (as a percentage of GDP) is actually less than during the early Clinton years. To put this into perspective, if you owed $200K on your house when you were right out of college and made $50k per year, you were worse off than if you owe $1000k on your house today when you are earning $750k per year.

Don't believe me?

U.S. National Debt Graph

Democrats seem to ignore the MASSIVE economic growth that has occurred under Bush. Regardless of your politics, you cannot argue with facts.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:53 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Back to the orignal question: normally, I wouldn't care about such a thing. However, I'm a little bothered by people who preach values & call themselves socially conservative, and then have children who they stick in day care centers & public schools at the taxpayers' expense! Worse yet, the people who are morally righteous & have teenage daughters who become pregnant out of wedlock!

Palin doesn't seem to be at all concerned that her daughter is humping around & having a baby when she isn't even married. Who is going to SUPPORT this baby? Hmmmmmm? Chances are, the public will be forced to contribute to this baby's upbringing via their tax dollars. More than likely, the child will attend public school on the taxpayers' backs. Popping out kids isn't a free ride. Somebody is paying for it!!! It's just too bad the cost of bearing kids falls in society's hands, instead of the breeders' (where the responsibility truly belongs)!

Old 09-01-2008, 05:54 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Yes, I love the Republicans who are so pro-life about unborn children (yes, I do believe that life begins at conception), but don't give a damn about them once they are born.

They are the biggest hypocrites. African-American teenage pregnancies in urban areas = the destruction of "family values" by liberal principles.
white, Republican teens get pregnant = a glorious day for traditional values

What a wonderful bunch. No wonder this country is so screwed up.
Had to bold this, worth repeating. It's exactly how you have phrased it.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:54 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
If one were to bother, the GAO has loads of stats available for download. The current debt (as a percentage of GDP) is actually less than during the early Clinton years. To put this into perspective, if you owed $200K on your house when you were right out of college and made $50k per year, you were worse off than if you owe $1000k on your house today when you are earning $750k per year.
Unfortunately, GDP is expected to fall long term, for a considerable time to come. The dead cat bounce is a result of "stimulus" checks that deepened the deficit. Much of GDP was from the false illusion of real estate wealth that is contracting (as it should). Interesting that you brought up the analogy with relation to housing .

The wealth that occurred under Bush's watch was the RE Ponzi scheme, which thank God is unraveling as we speak.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:55 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I disagree.. Palin is running for office... not her family..
and to some degree her husband could be discussed.. but kids??? they're minors... I do not agree with this notion that smearing the poor decisions of kids to make political points... good kids make mistakes... keep it about the issue.. not about the girl...

I think Bristol could have made a choice.. she could have gone to canada or any other state to recieve any kind of care she wanted.. I think the girl wanted to keep the child no matter what her mother thinks.. and that is fine..
I don't think we should be putting words in her mouth or making up issues for the sake of political discussion... the issue is... she DID have a choice.. and she made her choice... the fact that she wanted to keep the child does not go against the argument of choice...
You don't think we should be putting words in her mouth but YOU KNOW what she's thinking !?????

See my posts on Chelsea Clinton and how the righties joked about her looks....and SHE did nothing wrong and certainly didn't get pregnant!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections