Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 07:05 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,614,733 times

Advertisements

I have been wondering what the issue is since teen pregnancy is so common & shouldn't have any impact on Govern Palin's qualifications for office. But since Republicans are the party of hypocrites I suppose they are all upset about the girl having sex before marriage. What idiots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 07:06 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
So....what you are saying is that Obama's grandma, the one who worked her way up to bank vp, had responsibility for Stanley Ann and did a miserable job?

You libs. All for "women's equal rights". What a load.
I'm about 500x more conservative than the RINO neo-cons on this board. But thanks for playing.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:06 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,921,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1964 View Post
Exactly, and how she governs her home is VERY important. She clearly doesn't have a handle on her family, and did not know what her child was doing.

She had a choice, but I bet her mother suddenly wanted to have input into her life choices.
I really doubt the fact that because her daughter got pregnant that she didn't have a handle on her family and therefore should reflect her ability to govern...
Look, I don't support McCain or Palin in this election.. I just don't buy into this notion that because a 17 year old girl get's knocked up.. its somehow the fault of the parents... That's rubbish... the girl is a minor, and is the responsibility of her parents but you know as well as I do that you cannot be there for every decision your child makes... kids grow and learn as they go and make good and bad decisions, Just because someone has a bad family doesn't mean they make all bad decisions... no does it mean that because someone is a good kid from a good family that they are going to always make good decisions...
The human emotion of love and connection and sex is a strong one, much stronger than any retoric from the preacher on sunday mornings...especially for young people who experiencing the realities of adulthood..yet lack the mental capabilities to make sound judgement..
And I really doubt her mother MADE her do anything.. i really feel that this girl was a good kid, that had the kind of relationship with her mother to TELL her and make a decision based on how she was raised.. and that is to keep the baby no matter what.. That is just what I think.. but the point I'm trying to make is.. we can all sit here and make assumptions.. but the reality of it is... this girl COULD have not told her mother, and COULD have gone to canada or washington state to get an abortion done.. so she DID CHOOSE..
I just feel sick to my stomache about this whole thing.. this poor girl is a high school student.. and now is smeared all over national news...
We should be ashamed of ourselves as a society for doing this and taking this kind of approach on the issue all for making a political statement... What about the privacy and respect of this girl who is a minor???
I am a teacher, and deal with issues related to young people all the time.. and GOOD KIDS make bad choices... it does happen...
I would say.. Palin is not right on her stance with issues, and is not someone who should be a heartbeat away from the presidency considering her lack of foreign policy... But to say she is unfit because she doesn't have control of her household because he daughter is knocked up???? That's just disgusting and below the belt... I refuse to take that into consideration...

Old 09-01-2008, 07:07 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_light View Post
Also I am please with Biden as VP, unlike Palin, he didn't hide anything.
LOL he doesnt have to hide anything because you fans are too uninformed to even research his actions.

Biden imo is a "lobbyist" for the finance/credit card companies in Delaware top receipient of campaign cash. You have him to thank for your predatory lending rates. Go check. The leading Democrat advocate for the bankruptcy reform bills in 2005 that made bankruptcy more difficult for consumers.

Ironically your boy OBAMA says in his Messiah speech "now is the time to change bankruptcy laws" imo full well knowing that his shadow president Biden just voted in favor of the industry and against you. All the candidates had to vote on it and as far as I remember BIDEN was the only one voting in favor of big business not YOU.

OBAMA brags he's all about business reform proposals. Biden has been on the other side of these issues. Two phonies you won't even research because you LOVE SPEECHES.

You guys keep falling for your little rock star and his Hollywood productions, that's fine. Ignorance is bliss.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:08 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,678,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
The fact is with the proper sex education teen pregnancy goes down. With abstinence only education, teen pregnancy goes up as well as sexually transmitted disease, etc etc. Palin is a hypocrite for supporting abstinence only and not admitting its failure to help our kids. Its people like her that are bad for America.
Are you saying teaching kids about condoms without teaching them that the only way to 100% protect themselves from STD's and pregnancy is abstinence? Do you advocate not teaching teenage girls especially (boys too) about the emotional consequences of "hooking up" and not treating themselves with respect and dignity?

Old 09-01-2008, 07:09 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Well, SURPRISE! Guess who the "fundies" are going to vote for? Hint: Not baby killing advocate Barry.

Because the "fundies" want abstinence taught in the schools does not make them hypocrites. These are the same people that welcome the babies once they are in the picture.
How so? By telling the women we don't support assistance for you and your child so get off your a** and get a job. What job you say? That's not my problem. Job doesn't pay enough for two people to live and there are no benefits, again, that's not too bad. You live in abject poverty but at least you live. And no, we don't care that the unwanted child may be physically or emotionally abused and neglected by an unfit parent. Also, lets be clear, we don't care if you give the child up and they become a product of our wonderful state system where thousands remain unadopted. As long as our taxes aren't impacted, all is good. Oh, and those unattended kids that grow up to commit a life of crime, throw the death penalty at them. That should solve things. The compassionate conservatives that we are!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:17 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,312,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Oh please, stop cherry picking stats to your favor. The deficits of the EARLY Clinton years were the doing of REAGAN and BUSH-41, and NOT Clinton. Remember the Savings and Loan Scandal? Remember the Resolution Trust Corporation? Remember Lincoln Savings & Loan and it's CEO, a chap named Keating? Remember how Senator McCain and four others were guilty of trying to help Keating in return for campaign cash? Remember the Keating Five?

I worked in DOD all those years. I remember the huge struggle in the 1990's to balance the budget - which DID get balanced by the end of the Clinton years. Then the idiot from TX took over in 2001 and threw it all out the window.

BTW, taxes are NOT a re-distribution of wealth. It is how WE, as ONE people, pay for what WE decide we need as ONE nation. Spare me that childish rhetoric about redistribution of wealth; NO one is taking your land and giving it to peasants; no one is taking your business and giving it to politically connected insiders. Everyone who makes over X dollars pays X tax rate, period, no favorites.

NM is solidly in the DEM camp this year, hardly a swing state.
By your logic, the higher deficit at the beginning of GW's tenure must have been Clinton's. Since then, it has gone down. Or is that cherry picking?

Taxes utilized for anything other than basic services (roads, defense, public health, etc.) are wealth redistribution. Income tax was not even levied for the first 125 years this country existed! Somehow the states managed just fine. The father of modern taxation was FDR. It was his New Deal, and the subsequent Great Society (LBJ) (both Democratic programs) that are the root of today's entitlement mentality.

If you think a system whereby a small percentage of the taxpayers shoulder the majority of the burden is fair, then arguing with you is moot.

The only fair taxation would be a unit-based tax. That is, every adult pays the same basic tax regardless of his or her income. Seems fair to me.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:18 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Are you saying teaching kids about condoms without teaching them that the only way to 100% protect themselves from STD's and pregnancy is abstinence? Do you advocate not teaching teenage girls especially (boys too) about the emotional consequences of "hooking up" and not treating themselves with respect and dignity?
I think you're missing the point. It's not about teaching one or the other but all preventable methods. Palin only wants abstinence taught without recognizing that not all teens will make this choice so it's important to include protections such as condoms and birth control for those that make the decision to have sex. When parents make abstinence absolute, kids won't feel comfortable talking to them about their desire to have condoms or birth control because they are having sex. They will just go without. It's rare that girls get pregnant on their first sexual experience and I doubt this was the case for Bristol. However, I don't think she felt she had any other options but to have sex without protection and hope for the best.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:20 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Back to the orignal question: normally, I wouldn't care about such a thing. However, I'm a little bothered by people who preach values & call themselves socially conservative, and then have children who they stick in day care centers & public schools at the taxpayers' expense! Worse yet, the people who are morally righteous & have teenage daughters who become pregnant out of wedlock!

Palin doesn't seem to be at all concerned that her daughter is humping around & having a baby when she isn't even married. Who is going to SUPPORT this baby? Hmmmmmm? Chances are, the public will be forced to contribute to this baby's upbringing via their tax dollars. More than likely, the child will attend public school on the taxpayers' backs. Popping out kids isn't a free ride. Somebody is paying for it!!! It's just too bad the cost of bearing kids falls in society's hands, instead of the breeders' (where the responsibility truly belongs)!
Humping around. OK

Stick in public schools? HUH? Tell us about OBAMA's plan. Is he going to get rid of Head Start? or something else I dont know about?

Stick in day care centers? OH? are there free daycare centers and pushed by Republicans?

Doesn't seem at all concerned? OH did she call you?

Chances are, the public will be forced to contribute to this baby's upbringing via their tax dollars. More than likely, the child will attend public school on the taxpayers' backs?

So lemme get this straight. CHANCES ARE the family doesnt pay taxes like you for PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

And CHANCES ARE you are against public schools?

Society shouldn't pay for kid related things only the breeders? OK Does Obama agree?

WAcky wacky rant you made...Guess you'll have to move to some island somewhere if you are against public schools and any social programs. I dont think there is a candidate in any country for you.

Are you mixed up? Do you think Republicans are the ones championing social programs?

Old 09-01-2008, 07:22 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
How so? By telling the women we don't support assistance for you and your child so get off your a** and get a job. What job you say? That's not my problem. Job doesn't pay enough for two people to live and there are no benefits, again, that's not too bad. You live in abject poverty but at least you live. And no, we don't care that the unwanted child may be physically or emotionally abused and neglected by an unfit parent. Also, lets be clear, we don't care if you give the child up and they become a product of our wonderful state system where thousands remain unadopted. As long as our taxes aren't impacted, all is good. Oh, and those unattended kids that grow up to commit a life of crime, throw the death penalty at them. That should solve things. The compassionate conservatives that we are!

Excellent post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections