Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 08:12 PM

269 posts, read 542,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I would normally agree, but how do you teach a teenager to use a condom? Or do you propose that using them at such a tender age takes away from that sweet "young love"?

I think the condoms on bananas is just a result of what we've become. It might have been ok for people to get preggers at 17 at some point long ago, but today's world doesn't readily allow for Little House on the Prairie. It's the cost of progress, like it or not.
I really don't think applying a condom is terribly complex or requires a government-school block of instruction. (That being said, man alive I hate those things and refuse to use them! They DO take away that sense of intimacy and togetherness, which is a big part of what sex is all about, no?)

Anyway, what IS so wrong with a young woman (or man) marrying, instead of having a series of Trojan-mitigated hookups till their 30s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 08:15 PM

269 posts, read 542,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Sorry, but I don't thing teenagers are thinking "spirituality" when they get horny which is about 23 1/2 hours a day.
Well, horniness and spirituality are often deeply entwined. They aren't mutually exclusive by any means.

Man, it sounds like some of you are so practical that you've never been in love! It's not just about sticking Tab A into Slot B and expending some built-up semen.

What an unbelievably disgusting way for me to talk!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:16 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
All the monied conservative Republicans I have known over the years who had a teenage daughter "turn up" pregnant ALL had abortions. Every single one of them and a few had later regrets as for many it wasn't their decision, but their parents' decision (usually involving the threat of being financially cut off).

With this Palin revelation perhaps some of these girls, I mean their parents, will feel like it's okay to take the baby to term without shame.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:21 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
So much for being a squeaky-clean outsider. Nobody's clean in American politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palinjoke
but Carl Rove is sure she can run the country.
He should know. After all, he was running it for Dubya until he stepped down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound
Well, horniness and spirituality are often deeply entwined.
Jimmy Swaggart and Ted Haggard would agree.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:23 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1964 View Post
What would one expect from a Mother that has 5 children. Do you think she had the birth control discussion with her? What happened to the abstinence only curriculum that Bush advocated? I guess she didn't have that discussion either.

Sarah Palin was too busy to pay attention to what her daugher was doing. Sad.
IMAGINE IF SHE WAS IN CHARGE OF THE COUNTRY!!! scary

Old 09-01-2008, 08:23 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
I really don't think applying a condom is terribly complex or requires a government-school block of instruction. (That being said, man alive I hate those things and refuse to use them! They DO take away that sense of intimacy and togetherness, which is a big part of what sex is all about, no?)

Anyway, what IS so wrong with a young woman (or man) marrying, instead of having a series of Trojan-mitigated hookups till their 30s?
Not using condoms is SO irresponsible .

How "spiritual" is HIV or any other sexually transmitted disease?????????

Old 09-01-2008, 08:24 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
I really don't think applying a condom is terribly complex or requires a government-school block of instruction. (That being said, man alive I hate those things and refuse to use them!
That's nice. You sound like a real prize. My ex who wasn't able to be on the pill medically (autoimmune disorder) would've been a great match for you. She'd suffer the same fate as Palin's daughter because of your refusal

Old 09-01-2008, 08:25 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,678,251 times
[quote=prim2007;5087272]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
That's a joke right? You were actually sounding reasonabley thoughtful until the last line. How could you possibly even begin to have an inkling of what that girl knew or thought? The problem with 17 year olds and birth control is not that they don't know it exists, it's that they don't have the maturity and common sense to use it every time.[/QUOTE]

Now who is joking? I never said anything about her not knowing birth control existed. I said, she probably didn't feel that discussing the use of birth control was an option for her since her parents support abstinence only. It's not easy getting birth control in some states (I believe Alaska is one) without the consent of your parents. What you're suggesting is that her parents were all for birth control and even provided it for her but she didnt' have the common sense to follow the directions (now who is insulting Bristol?). That's a big leap considering Palin does not support sex education or the expanded use of birth control. I've posted the source for this so many times, I refuse to keep doing it. I'm sure you saw them in some of the other threads.
The state of Alaska has no law restricting access to birth control for minors. Contraception Counts: Alaska (http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/state_data/states/alaska.html - broken link). ALso some interesting stats from the same website:

In Alaska, 77 publicly funded family planning clinics provide contraceptive care to 24,530 women—including 7,210 sexually active teenagers. (emphasis mine)
Family planning clinics in Alaska serve 81% of all women in need of publicly supported contraceptive services and 71% of teenagers in need.
85% of counties in Alaska have at least one family planning clinic

What I am suggesting is most 17 year olds are aware of birth control options through other channels besides their parents. I am making the assumption that she is aware of what a condom is and that she knows Wal-Mart sells them or the 77 clinics in Alaska provide them. I don't care if Bristol feels insulted, it's obvious she did not have enough common sense to use birth control. I'm not going to peg the blame solely on Gov. Palin for her daughter's stupid and tragic mistake.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:25 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Would you be so kind to provide a link to the libertarian platform showing that the Libertarian Party would abolish the Public School System in the US?

Thanks
Here you go:

Libertarian Party on Education

Why Not a Free Market in Education?

And Ron Paul said in 1988 when he ran for President on the Libertarian ticket that he would abolish public schools. Here's the link:

Now for a Real Underdog: Ron Paul, Libertarian, for President - New York Times (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940de3da1538f934a25753c1a96e9482 60 - broken link)

Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Not using condoms is SO irresponsible .

How "spiritual" is HIV or any other sexually transmitted disease?????????
Conservatives don't get those diseases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections