Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:55 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,616,554 times

Advertisements

The only people who care about this are those who are afraid of her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 10:36 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
The only people who care about this are those who are afraid of her.
Fear must be a big part of your life, you dwell on it so much....don't project.

So I take it you like Palin who takes from the rich and "spreads the wealth"????

Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
I think a young woman is ready, IF () she has been properly educated to do so, to keep house and start a family"""

(sounds like a mindless conformist)

"""around Bristol's age. 18 or 19 would be more ideal for most, I think. No sense in waiting around much longer than that.

A young man is ready somewhere around his twentieth birthday. If our children spent less time fooling around learning idiocy and silliness at school and more time learning the serious things of this world, they would not "need" to spend four or six years in college mastering basic academic skills and coldly learning to use each other just to get off.

Ya, education is such a big drawback to supporting a family

So, you're FOR Mom Palin having a career but her daughter should just clean house and have babies....which is it? Women should be anything they want to be or conform to housewifery and having babies????

Old 09-01-2008, 11:39 PM

269 posts, read 542,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Ya, education is such a big drawback to supporting a family

So, you're FOR Mom Palin having a career but her daughter should just clean house and have babies....which is it? Women should be anything they want to be or conform to housewifery and having babies????
Women should understand their personal limitations and understand that we must make some hard choices in our lives. That's not "oppression," that's just life.

There is nothing inherently demeaning or horrible about housewifery and child-bearing-- it is a challenging and rewarding line of work if you are doing it well. I should know.

Few women can "have it all" and most of us need to make some tradeoffs between career and family-building in order to do either one successfully.

I already said that I felt conflicted about Gov Palin accepting a VP slot at this very difficult time in her family's life. However, she does have a lot of extended family support and local community support, and her husband seems to be her support-role player. This doesn't work often, but it may work well for the Palins.

Anyway, yes, the government school curricula is a waste of time. It's full of useless fluff and beureaucratic nonsense.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:18 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,983,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
I think a young woman is ready, IF () she has been properly educated to do so, to keep house and start a family around Bristol's age. 18 or 19 would be more ideal for most, I think. No sense in waiting around much longer than that.

A young man is ready somewhere around his twentieth birthday. If our children spent less time fooling around learning idiocy and silliness at school and more time learning the serious things of this world, they would not "need" to spend four or six years in college mastering basic academic skills and coldly learning to use each other just to get off.
I sure am glad my parents encouraged me (a woman now 50 years old) to NOT get married at 18 or 19, to get an education, learn about the world, travel when I'm young, and THEN, if I meet the right person, get married and have kids. Since I didn't have the money to travel, I joined Peace Corps and then worked for them for nearly a decade traveling the world. I cannot imagine giving up that wonderful experience - those years have shaped the rest of my life.

I did end up getting married and having kids through adoption and now I am a 'housewife' because that is what I now choose to do. I traveled, had a career that I loved (which I may return to) and now I'm raising my kids. I LOVE how my life has turned out. There is NO way I will encourage either of my daughters to get married young and have children until they have experienced some life without the responsibilities of children and a spouse.

By the way, I was engaged at 20 and called off the wedding because I realized that, though I was in love, I was not ready to be married. I'm very glad I didn't get married then.

Last edited by cmacf1; 09-02-2008 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 09-02-2008, 12:18 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
It does doesn't it, thank God women can multi-task.
Looks like multitasking is what got her into this mess!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:39 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,869,219 times
I care. I don't think teen pregnancy is a good thing and she's not a good example to teens. Just like Bill Clinton and John McCain aren't good examples of faithful husbands. We can't blame Sarah for her daughter's pregnancy, although her raising her with abstinence teaching didn't work. So either Willow doesn't respect her parents and went against what they taught her OR she has no idea about sex education (which I doubt). In any case, there is a disconnect somewhere in that family. It doesn't mean that Sarah can't be a good VP, but her family is going through a turbulent time. Between the infant son with Downs and now a teen pregnant daughter, I question the timing of her political aspirations.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:48 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
I care. I don't think teen pregnancy is a good thing and she's not a good example to teens. Just like Bill Clinton and John McCain aren't good examples of faithful husbands. We can't blame Sarah for her daughter's pregnancy, although her raising her with abstinence teaching didn't work. So either Willow doesn't respect her parents and went against what they taught her OR she has no idea about sex education (which I doubt). In any case, there is a disconnect somewhere in that family. It doesn't mean that Sarah can't be a good VP, but her family is going through a turbulent time. Between the infant son with Downs and now a teen pregnant daughter, I question the timing of her political aspirations.
Yep. That's what I've been saying since this news broke out.

Having said that, with the latest appearance of Levi on Facebook, I've crossed over from "disappointed" to "repulsed." He is complete and utter white trash.

I don't know about you all, but, if this is what "families just like us" are like, then I think I kind of prefer having elitists in the most important political position of the free world.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:06 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,869,219 times
How can a woman with an infant and 2-3 other kids at home be the Vice President?? Lots of nannies? Will Sarah get pregnant again? We know she's against birth control. What if she need maternity time? What if McCain dies and Sarah is in her 3rd trimester? Does she realize how often she'll be traveling and not be home to tend to Tig and her other little daughter? Is her husband going to quit his 2 jobs? Most women I know that have infants can barely find time to take a shower and read a magazine. If she is so family oriented, she's in for a big surprise. Biden's kids are grown and Michele Obama won't be working. Plus she doesn't have a special needs infant, or an infant, for that matter. I think Sarah has lost it. She's only 44. She should remain the governor and pursue her career later in life when her kids are grown. Is she going to take time off to be with Willow when she has the baby? Who is going to tend to Tig? The entire thing blows my mind. Maybe she'll have Willow watch Tig and her new baby? Way too much baggage.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:21 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,127,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
How can a woman with an infant and 2-3 other kids at home be the Vice President?? Lots of nannies? Will Sarah get pregnant again? We know she's against birth control. What if she need maternity time? What if McCain dies and Sarah is in her 3rd trimester? Does she realize how often she'll be traveling and not be home to tend to Tig and her other little daughter? Is her husband going to quit his 2 jobs? Most women I know that have infants can barely find time to take a shower and read a magazine. If she is so family oriented, she's in for a big surprise. Biden's kids are grown and Michele Obama won't be working. Plus she doesn't have a special needs infant, or an infant, for that matter. I think Sarah has lost it. She's only 44. She should remain the governor and pursue her career later in life when her kids are grown. Is she going to take time off to be with Willow when she has the baby? Who is going to tend to Tig? The entire thing blows my mind. Maybe she'll have Willow watch Tig and her new baby? Way too much baggage.
Didn't she return to work 3 days after giving birth to her youngest? While perhaps not working f/t, reports I've read state that she did work in some capacity. She'd get right back to it if she got pg as vp or pres as she showed after Trig was born. Alaska First.

I'm totally with you on this.

Maybe she IS the perfect veep pick for McCain whose current mantra is "Country First".

(btw - it's her daughter Bristol who is pg)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections