Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 07:39 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I wonder sometimes how old some of the people on this board are. Strange as it may seem to some, it was very, very, very, common for an entire family to live on one paycheck when I was growing up. It was just assumed that, for the most part, dad would go to work and support the family and mom would stay home and take care of kids and home. There were some exceptions and times have changed. But it use to be the norm.
You wonder?

Well I"m 55 so you don't need to tell me about your parents time since I was part of it.

And I've noticed in the last few DECADES that it's a dual income world. But given your age and political laziness position I am not shocked that you think that it's ok to say YOU CANT LIVE TWO PEOPLE TO ONE JOB....and then sit on your butt complaining.

Ask your parents how many other people worked two jobs or both parents working. Ask your parents what they did instead of welfare. It's called J O B.

Is it part of OBAMA's platform that all people live two people to one job I ask you again?

If not why are you complaining about it. A ridiculous complaint at that.

You dont want to get into what the NORM used to be, really you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 07:41 PM

645 posts, read 910,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Just curious, what are your thoughts on the Kennedy family?
The Kennedy's have nothing to do with Sarah Palin's lack of parenting skills. Plus I don't live in Mass. or Rhode Island so I don't have any thoughts about them.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:43 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You wonder?

Well I"m 55 so you don't need to tell me about your parents time since I was part of it.

And I've noticed in the last few DECADES that it's a dual income world. But given your age and political laziness position I am not shocked that you think that it's ok to say YOU CANT LIVE TWO PEOPLE TO ONE JOB....and then sit on your butt complaining.

Ask your parents how many other people worked two jobs or both parents working. Ask your parents what they did instead of welfare. It's called J O B.

Is it part of OBAMA's platform that all people live two people to one job I ask you again?

Since I am a grandmother myself and considerably older than you, it would be very hard to "ask my parents." I myself just retired last month after a lifetime of working so I hardly need to be lectured about a JOB or called lazy. How foolish to make assumptions and then launch into a vicious tirade about people you do not know.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:44 PM

269 posts, read 542,563 times
No, and if the campaign spins it right, it might be seen as a positive. (Accepting personal responsibility, choosing life over abortion, similar themes.)

And, frankly, 17 just ain't that young. There'd be a scandal if she were 13, I am sure, but seventeen-year-olds in most American households are given a lot of rope to hang themselves with, so to speak.

Most people can see how this could happen, and it will be unlikely to reflect all that badly on the campaign, except among a fringe of hard-line social conservatives (bless their angry little hearts!.)

JMO.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:44 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You wonder?

At 55, maybe you're too out of touch to understand that many households are now headed by a women and in the case of these unplanned pregnancies, the man is no where around financially or emotionally. Now these women will be forced to have a baby unprepared and live in greater poverty since you don't believe in providing even transitional assistance to these folks. I'm not saying the woman isn't working a job. You're just saying the woman needs to work at least two jobs. I guess the first paycheck can go to her around the clock daycare.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:45 PM

7 posts, read 16,225 times
It's true that this happens in all kinds of families. Americans love scandal, so it may help her. They could relate to her, find her fun to watch, etc... It happens all the time in the day and age we live in.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I wouldn't judge her by the pregnancy though, it's so common an occcurance.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:45 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,411,513 times
Yes. I liked rws's posts on some other threads, but he/she seems to be slinging a lot of insults here. Sadly, my mom had to work and I now have to work, too. I think it sucks, but it's a fact of life for many women.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:46 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,678,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
I think you're missing the point. It's not about teaching one or the other but all preventable methods. Palin only wants abstinence taught without recognizing that not all teens will make this choice so it's important to include protections such as condoms and birth control for those that make the decision to have sex. When parents make abstinence absolute, kids won't feel comfortable talking to them about their desire to have condoms or birth control because they are having sex. They will just go without. It's rare that girls get pregnant on their first sexual experience and I doubt this was the case for Bristol. However, I don't think she felt she had any other options but to have sex without protection and hope for the best.
That's a joke right? You were actually sounding reasonabley thoughtful until the last line. How could you possibly even begin to have an inkling of what that girl knew or thought? The problem with 17 year olds and birth control is not that they don't know it exists, it's that they don't have the maturity and common sense to use it every time.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:46 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,921,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
No, and if the campaign spins it right, it might be seen as a positive. (Accepting personal responsibility, choosing life over abortion, similar themes.)

And, frankly, 17 just ain't that young. There'd be a scandal if she were 13, I am sure, but seventeen-year-olds in most American households are given a lot of rope to hang themselves with, so to speak.

Most people can see how this could happen, and it will be unlikely to reflect all that badly on the campaign, except among a fringe of hard-line social conservatives (bless their angry little hearts!.)

JMO.
good post... given a lot of rope to hang themselves is a good way to put it...
I think attacking this woman's parenting abilities and household is ridiculous...
like or dislike her on real issues.. not slander

Old 09-01-2008, 07:48 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,820,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I don't think so.
The only people who will care are the ones who want to make it a vengeful nasty issue. The girl is marrying the father and from friends who are evangelical, when this occurs, generally the marriage follows... not an abortion! However,The Daily Kos was worse with it's lies from yesterday.

Even Obama said he wanted it stopped and families should be off limit, referring to himself born to an 18 year old mother. (I caught his statement -- w/ him, not a press hack making it -- on CNN, a video clip)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections