Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won the 1st Presidential Debate
McCain 124 32.04%
Obama 194 50.13%
It was a tie 69 17.83%
Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 07:05 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

It's clear McCain had the better debate. He thrashed him consistently on Iran, Russia, Iraq.

It was embarassing for Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 07:14 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
As I said, let's keep the conversation civil please. "Bimbette" is just pure name calling.
It's a description not name calling, and my post was very civil. Oh and BTW just to clear up your apparent confusion, not only am I grown, I don't work for or answer to you.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 09-27-2008 at 07:26 AM..

Old 09-27-2008, 07:33 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
I'm voting Nader for the same reason. The corporate power structure does not want someone like Bob Barr or Ralph Nader to even be heard. The corporate power structure, which is who the Reps/Dems represent and what they've become, doesn't want anyone to crash their cozy little grab-bag party. Change? Sorry, brother, I can't spare a dime. I live on "Main Street."
well theres 1 more vote for McCain. Nader had 4 years to prove he was the man. He only comes around every 4 years to try and sensationalise himself. If he were serious, he would run for Governor, or house or senate seats. Work his way up like all the other candidates and campaign for 2 years like our current candidates. I don't like one of the candidates, but at least he worked hard to get here.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:35 AM

281 posts, read 380,929 times
Get a grip. Maybe we the see truth as it really is : Obama won the debate. Shaken we all work and have to get up early.

McCain needs to find some new catchy phrases, because frankly, I'm tire of hearing him say, "I'm a maverick", "I wasn't voted miss congeniality" ,"Obama, does not understand".

It's just getting tired and played out. Not once did I hear him say what he was going to do for the common people or middle class; yet, Obama clearly defended and express his position on foreign policy and the war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Easy tiger...it's just a message board....there is not scientific method to this poll. Maybe the Democrats can stay up later than the Republicans since most Republicans are working during the day and go to bed earlier since they are tired.

Dont' forget, John McCain has been steady working to help with the financial crisis and is probably exhausted from all the traveling alone. I think he did pretty good all things considered.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:39 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
Obama offered round about speech that said little
McCain offered more specifics and direct answers

Obama did better on the economy although McCain has the better plan but didn't portray it well.
It's being televised again and I didn't see where Obama did better on the economy issue. I think this issue should have been given more time for each of them to go into a little more detail because many low income families and older folks, are not well versed in what is going on with the bail out. The media will only tell you what you want to hear, there are many that aren't capable of affording cable networks or dishes, they're just trying to survive and their local news really doesn't say much. Heck, our local news doesn't say much!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:45 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
I didn't get to watch it all but from the parts I did see I don't think either won. All I saw was appeal to emotion. I HATE IT!

I saw it this am imagine it will be on all week. I agree neither won but I found both good and it was a tie.

Both were similiar but different words. I was impressed with both.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:49 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
I think McCain won by a very slim margin. He is surely more qualified to be president. That said, as much as I do not like Obama and think he would be absolutely horrible for this country, he did a very good job.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:10 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natchezbreed View Post
Get a grip. Maybe we the see truth as it really is : Obama won the debate. Shaken we all work and have to get up early.

McCain needs to find some new catchy phrases, because frankly, I'm tire of hearing him say, "I'm a maverick", "I wasn't voted miss congeniality" ,"Obama, does not understand".

It's just getting tired and played out. Not once did I hear him say what he was going to do for the common people or middle class; yet, Obama clearly defended and express his position on foreign policy and the war.
Since when did the Republican Party become the party of the working class? I thought it was run by rich, old men?

Old 09-27-2008, 08:58 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I personally think Obama did better. He looked straight into the camera when answering the question on how is he going to handle this economic crisis. McCain just looked into the crowd or his podium.
I also felt that McCain kept bringing up old military stuff and always referred/deferred to the military issues and not really the question being asked. I felt he spun it onto other topics that had nothing to do with the question being asked.
I really think we could use that 10 billion a month at our home, the USA, right now instead of Iraq, correct??
I understand taking care of our vets from past wars but we are all in an economic crisis right now. Do you honestly think that people today would choose to take care of vets over their families if asked that question right now???? I guarantee it would be their family and not the vets.
I just felt Obama gave more direct responding answers to the questions than McCain and that's my personal opinion. We all have one..

Old 09-27-2008, 09:00 AM

29 posts, read 78,034 times
Maybe it's better to post this poll in this thread, but currently this shows McCain as the winner:

Obama, McCain Wrestle Over War, Taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections