Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2008, 02:41 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Duncan is seeking reelection and Saltsman is one of the contenders.
Oh, OK, now I get it. This is a political battle between Duncan and Saltsman. Saltsman just made a error in judgement and Duncan is trying to capitalize on it. Got it.

Moving on to a different issue... I just saw the posts that try to defend this song because it is copied from something written in the LA Times. Now I don't find the song all that offensive, but I think this defense is. In fact, it's such a hogwash excuse that I just can't let it pass without comment.

Seriously, what sort of defense is that????? A song is either offensive or it is not. The fact that it was lifted from some LA Times article isn't a defense.

To prove my point, let's try putting the shoe on the other foot. And please forgive me in advance, this might get a little obnoxious. But it's for the sake of making a point.

I could write a song about all sorts of things I read in the LA Times. How about.... that John McCain called his wife a c*nt. Hey, that sounds like a festive Christmas song!

Picture this: Someone records a naughty version of the Little Drummer Boy quoting the LA Times article about John McCain using the c word. OK, that might make you roll your eyes a bit, and then you'd probably forget about it. But here's what would offend people: If a representative of the dnc sent it out in a mass mailing to every dnc committee member.

(I actually wrote a first verse of this song but I edited it out because it was pretty vile. And that was violating my Christmas spirit. Anyway, you get the idea without it. OK back to my original post...)

Blech, I feel dirty just writing that. I hope you got my point, that just because you read something in the LA Times doesn't make a song inoffensive. There are plenty of offensive things in the LA Times that should never be put to music.

Last edited by normie; 12-27-2008 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: removed the song because it was offensive to me... and you get the idea without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 03:02 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times
Default The RNC Just Took Steps Back In Time

This is revolting and repulsive, a song about Obama, Barak the magic negro?
is it any wonder why the republicans lost the election with tactics and smears like this?
I hope the republican party doesn't see one of their own elected as president for the next 40 years.
RNC chairman candidate defends 'Barack the Magic Negro' song - CNN.com

RNC chairman condemns controversial Obama song - CNN.com

YouTube - Barack the Magic Negro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbBgRiHYrs0&NR=1

Old 12-27-2008, 03:06 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Oh, OK, now I get it. This is a political battle between Duncan and Saltsman. Saltsman just made a error in judgement and Duncan is trying to capitalize on it. Got it.

Moving on to a different issue... I just saw the posts that try to defend this song because it is copied from something written in the LA Times. Now I don't find the song all that offensive, but I think this defense is. In fact, it's such a hogwash excuse that I just can't let it pass without comment.

Seriously, what sort of defense is that????? A song is either offensive or it is not. The fact that it was lifted from some LA Times article isn't a defense.

To prove my point, let's try putting the shoe on the other foot. And please forgive me in advance, this might get a little obnoxious. But it's for the sake of making a point.

I could write a song about all sorts of things I read in the LA Times. How about.... that John McCain called his wife a c*nt. Hey, that sounds like a festive Christmas song!

Picture this: Someone records a naughty version of the Little Drummer Boy quoting the LA Times article about John McCain using the c word. OK, that might make you roll your eyes a bit, and then you'd probably forget about it. But here's what would offend people: If a representative of the dnc sent it out in a mass mailing to every dnc committee member.

(I actually wrote a first verse of this song but I edited it out because it was pretty vile. And that was violating my Christmas spirit. Anyway, you get the idea without it. OK back to my original post...)

Blech, I feel dirty just writing that. I hope you got my point, that just because you read something in the LA Times doesn't make a song inoffensive. There are plenty of offensive things in the LA Times that should never be put to music.
The issue to me is not the song. It is what it is. What is the issue to me is the judgement of Saltsman who seeks to be RNC chair in sending it out at this point in time. As Duncan said now is when the party is trying to build their base for the next run and this is not what they need. Yes you are once again 100% on in that it has given Duncan great ammo against the Saltsman challenge which makes Saltsman even more questionable in judgement. Who leaked it to the press in the first place? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? If not Duncan then Mike Steele?
Michael Steele to Run For RNC Chair - The Fix

Steele is also African American, a potentially powerful distinction in a party struggling for leaders that break out of the "old white guy" mold and badly in need of ways to broaden their coalition in future national elections.

For his part, Steele rejected the idea that the color of his skin had anything to do with his chances at becoming RNC chair. "I am a Republican who happens to be African American," he said.

Steele added that over the past few days he has been reaching out via phone to as many of the committee members as possible to make sure they know how important they are in this process. The people he has spoken with are "appreciative" of his candidacy, Steele said; "Even for those who have already committed to someone else they have been very enthusiastic," he noted.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
This is revolting and repulsive, a song about Obama, Barak the magic negro?
is it any wonder why the republicans lost the election with tactics and smears like this?
I hope the republican party doesn't see one of their own elected as president for the next 40 years.
RNC chairman candidate defends 'Barack the Magic Negro' song - CNN.com

RNC chairman condemns controversial Obama song - CNN.com

YouTube - Barack the Magic Negro

YouTube - Rush Defends "Magic Negro" Parody
The party chair spoke out against it. The Democrat Party has fringe anti minority elements within it also.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:12 PM

What the Republican leadership is learning is that they will have to be careful attacking Obama over the next year. A legitimate challenge on their part can be construed as something else by the fringe members of the party and cause them great harm with mainstream America. Obama knows this about his party and is making a deliberate effort to steer them to the middle and is willing to turn off the fringe left to keep them in the center. We can see in this forum how the fringe left has wanted to take liberties with the Obama election to do their thing. Obama with the Warren selection has shut a lot of that down and now the Republicans need to do the same. Will they? Mike Steele and others are hoping so.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:13 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
The party chair spoke out against it. The Democrat Party has fringe anti minority elements within it also.

Could you cite an example of one of these anti-minority Dems?

Last edited by padcrasher; 12-27-2008 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-27-2008, 03:19 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
The issue to me is not the song. It is what it is.
That's how I feel.

Quote:
What is the issue to me is the judgement of Saltsman who seeks to be RNC chair in sending it out at this point in time. As Duncan said now is when the party is trying to build their base for the next run and this is not what they need.
Bingo! That's exactly the issue. Sorry Saltsman, you're toast.

Quote:
Who leaked it to the press in the first place? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? If not Duncan then Mike Steele?
Michael Steele to Run For RNC Chair - The Fix

Steele is also African American, a potentially powerful distinction in a party struggling for leaders that break out of the "old white guy" mold and badly in need of ways to broaden their coalition in future national elections.

For his part, Steele rejected the idea that the color of his skin had anything to do with his chances at becoming RNC chair. "I am a Republican who happens to be African American," he said.

Steele added that over the past few days he has been reaching out via phone to as many of the committee members as possible to make sure they know how important they are in this process. The people he has spoken with are "appreciative" of his candidacy, Steele said; "Even for those who have already committed to someone else they have been very enthusiastic," he noted.
Oh man, party politics never rest, do they... Oy to the vey!

Old 12-27-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Do you have an example of one of these anti-minority Dems?
George Wallace and lester Maddox to name a couple and if you think every Democrat in Mississippi and Alabama love minorities I have a bridge for you. I can link if you want but think back to the election and the blue collar neighborhoods in Ohio, Pennsylvania etc that were Democrats but people said I won't vote for a N. If you really don't remember then I guess you weren't real active during the election. Remember the angst about Ohio and Pennsylvania during the election? What about West Virginia during the primary and Kentucky etc? Remember those discussions and issues?

Old 12-27-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
That's how I feel.

Bingo! That's exactly the issue. Sorry Saltsman, you're toast.

Oh man, party politics never rest, do they... Oy to the vey!
Why would a professional political party not practice politics within their organization? Come on my friends do you think prostitutes don't have sex when they leave work? It is in their psyche.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:29 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
George Wallace and lester Maddox to name a couple and if you think every Democrat in Mississippi and Alabama love minorities I have a bridge for you. I can link if you want but think back to the election and the blue collar neighborhoods in Ohio, Pennsylvania etc that were Democrats but people said I won't vote for a N. If you really don't remember then I guess you weren't real active during the election. Remember the angst about Ohio and Pennsylvania during the election? What about West Virginia during the primary and Kentucky etc? Remember those discussions and issues?
Yes I thought you need to go back over 40 years ago to find an example. Those folks are not relevant to the Democratic Party today. They are gone. They have no following. So your biggest example is that Dems in Appalachia tend to favor white candidates??...Big Deal. The Democratic Party does not have one single leader in any State that would pass out a racist parody Song. Let alone have someone run for the DNC that would do so.

The Dems have their own problems to don't compare their "anti-minority" elements to anything close to what the GOP puts out. That's absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections