Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 03:55 AM

355 posts, read 1,190,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You should see Dresden now.
They've rebuilt the city, it's a stunner!

Because Dresden was in the RDA....
Communists rebuilt some cities, Warsaw, for example.
I also heard they did a good job in Petersburg.
Of course, they did not care about money and resources.
Not in the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 04:41 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,234,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Constructive criticism? Gimme a break. No one would've been offended if you'd actually criticized something in a constructive way. There definitely are things to be criticized about Germany but what you do is just childish.
But I am assuming you won't return there, so you won't have to endure such a horrible country again and the Germans won't have to endure your attitude either.
The only reason i am posting my experiences here, is because i always thought Germany was known for its "efficiency" one could easily expect cleanliness, aesthetically pleasing environment both artificial + natural & high-tech infrastructure.. But that really is not the case, hence why i created this thread to address that issue..

America is not known for that, but i easily could say it simply does a better job than Germany to keep their 'non-tourist' (where normal people live) areas well & maintained (especially in the last 10yrs)

And the idea was to get people to consider their choices before going to Germany or other European countries.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,234,108 times
Watch this, (Japan, Tokyo)

Not even the best of best of Germany could match that by even a quarter..

Tokyo Highway -

Old 05-02-2012, 04:47 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Watch this, (Japan, Tokyo)

Not even the best of best of Germany could match that by even a quarter..

Tokyo Highway -
What does this have to do with your topic?
As we've stated, you don't know much about Germany, but I'm sure you got as good as you gave.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:55 AM

692 posts, read 1,355,711 times
LMAO - Germany being famous for it's autobahns and superb road system, parts of which have no speed restrictions.

You really haven't thought this through have you.

Germany is not Tokyo, and it doesn't pretend to be, it's part of Europe and has a greater resemblance to other parts of Central and Northern Europe than it does to the Far East. I am also unsure as to what that video is supposed to prove, it's just endless scenes of a road at night.

Last edited by Mulhall; 05-02-2012 at 05:05 AM..

Old 05-02-2012, 06:02 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,691,381 times
European cities including German cities have narrow roads as compared to US cities. In US we have interstate highways running thru cities as well as huge parking lots of walmarts etc. by contrast european cities have old buildings at the city center with little parking, small cars etc. So that may be one reason you did not like it here. I have a friend in Lubbock Texas who hated New York saying that it is way too ugly and intimidating for him. For him the sight of so many people and trains made him sick. when I asked him which city he likes most, he said Lubbock Texas.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,876,278 times
Default agoraphobia ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
European cities including German cities have narrow roads as compared to US cities. In US we have interstate highways running thru cities as well as huge parking lots of walmarts etc. by contrast european cities have old buildings at the city center with little parking, small cars etc. So that may be one reason you did not like it here. I have a friend in Lubbock Texas who hated New York saying that it is way too ugly and intimidating for him. For him the sight of so many people and trains made him sick. when I asked him which city he likes most, he said Lubbock Texas.
More often than not, it's not because this kind of people are prejudiced, but because they suffer from agoraphobia,maybe it's the case of your Lubbock man. I myself suffer from a mild form of agoraphobia, I feel ill at ease among large throngs and in big (or even middle sized), bustling cities.
That's why I seldom go to public events (concerts, theater, etc), I don't miss that at all.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,865 times
Quote:
The only reason i am posting my experiences here, is because i always thought Germany was known for its "efficiency" one could easily expect cleanliness, aesthetically pleasing environment both artificial + natural & high-tech infrastructure.. But that really is not the case, hence why i created this thread to address that issue..

America is not known for that, but i easily could say it simply does a better job than Germany to keep their 'non-tourist' (where normal people live) areas well & maintained (especially in the last 10yrs)
Well, I have lived in both Germany and the United States and I can't confirm what you're saying, not at all. Neither does anyone else on this thread, so you are probably either a troll or very bitter for some unknown reason that has nothing to do with your trip to Germany.
Also, even if it were true what you're saying , it is one thing to notice those things and another to post offensive remarks. How would you feel if I called Chicago an obnoxious sh*thole full of hookers and crap littering the streets? Or what a dump Milwaukee can be.

Last edited by Rob702; 05-02-2012 at 10:12 AM..

Old 05-02-2012, 11:50 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,984 times
Quote:

And the idea was to get people to consider their choices before going to Germany or other European countries.
All generalizations, of course. I can think of non-tourist areas (where "normal" people live) places in the U.S. that aren't that well maintained. Aesthetically-pleasant is sometimes seen as the opposite of efficiency (e.g., if it costs more to have more plants, public art, regular street cleaning, etc.). All of this varies widely by location, of course. Some places have more economic problems, people who can't afford to keep up yards, etc. (or choose not to), or even just devote fewer pubic resources to public areas, including parks and buildings.

Speaking of outside the U.S., I know people who love the modern (well, it was so in the 60s) architecture of Brasilia while others think the city, with lots of concrete and big monuments, is more like a modern East Berlin, or maybe Bucharest.

I don't know of many cities, even NYC, that compare with German cities such as Rothenburg and Cologne during the Christmas season.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM

355 posts, read 1,190,478 times
Can't compare an American city with a European one. Most American cities have a downtown and a very large urban sprawl the size of some European nations. In many cases, the downtown is wasted and only have an administrative or corporative value.

What we call a "commuting distance" here is "going to the supermarket/mall" in the US. In the U.S, they have parking lots the size of a medium-sized city here. There are franchises along gigantic avenues that are the size of a European town. They don't care about space and distances.

There are sidewalks that are never used, people spend their lives in a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe