Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 05:08 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times

Advertisements

I ate at a Mexican-themed restaurant in Amsterdam once...the vegetarian burrito had carrots and green peas in it, lol. The Chinese food there wasn't much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizarro View Post
I bet there are not more than ten good quality Mexican food restaurants in Europe, I'm no inclusing TexMex chain, "Mexican specialties" in MacDonalds, etc.

I have seen a few good ones to emerge run by Mexicans, to fall in no time.
Yeah it seems like some Mexicans are attempting to open more authentic ones, in London there is one called Mestizo which won an award a year ago as the best Mexican restaurant in London. Although considering the lack of good ones in the London that's probably not saying much?

Here's a video of the place:

MESTIZO - RESTAURANT & TEQUILA BAR. Presented by Marysol Alvardo. pt. 1 - YouTube

Old 04-19-2013, 03:09 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,265,333 times
Mexican food is relatively unknown in France at least. Being a fan of real Mexican food that I discovered during my trip in Mexico in 2008, I know only one true Mexican restaurant in Paris. It is a focal meeting point for the latino-American community in Paris (even not only Mexicans).

Old 04-19-2013, 09:47 PM

252 posts, read 258,458 times
Honestly, I've never had Mexican food in Central or Eastern Europe. My sister and her husband joked about opening up a Mexican restaurant but specific ingrediants will be more expensive and the taste will be foreign to the natives. Chances of succeeding are very low

Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 AM

684 posts, read 1,122,519 times
In the UK, yes.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:08 AM

88 posts, read 235,215 times
I consider myself somewhat of a Mexican food connoisseur having grown up with it in Colorado & Arizona as well as frequenting Mexico a lot as a child.

Unfortunately there are quite a few misleading latino restaurants which are actually operated by chefs of other nationalites (Turkish, whatever the host country's nationality is, etc). This has always bothered me and I now make it a point to ask where the owners and the staff are from. I've currently been to numerous "latino inspired" restaurants all over Europe, all with EXTREME dissatisfaction.

The only actual Mexican restaurant I can recommend is Rosa del Raval in Barcelona, Spain not far from Las Ramblas. (Rosa del Raval). It is absolutely delicious and rivals some of the restaurants back home and in Mexico.

Everything else, beware.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:00 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Fast becoming popular in the North, but not very tasty. My local kiosk in Brønshøj now stocks Tomatillos!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:17 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Fast becoming popular in the North, but not very tasty. My local kiosk in Brønshøj now stocks Tomatillos!
How can it become popular if its their version of Mexican food is not any good? This reminds me of a Mexican soccer player (who played for a Netherlands team) that mentioned his awful experience at dining at one of their so called Mexican restaurants; he said it was awful. Though to be fair it happened 3-4 years ago, who knows if they've improved?

Old 04-26-2013, 04:57 AM

370 posts, read 951,096 times
In Spain, just as in the US, you can find industrialised Mexican food under the form of frozen fajitas, frozen tacos, guacamole and assorted Mexican-themed TV dinners.

There are Mexican cantinas and Mexican joints selling Mexican "tapas", some "serious" Mexican restaurants, etc....and of course..."nachos con guacamoles" are all around.

But I'd say that it's not very popular...maybe among kids eating fast food, or for a couple that wants to eat a few Mexican tapas and not spend a lot... But people don't usually go to a Mexican restaurant for a "serious dinner".

Since there are hardly any Mexicans here, most people working in those joints ain't Mexican, but Bosnians, Ecuatorians, etc.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
I had a " Mexican " meal in France a few years ago. The poor French. No wonder they think their food is better than anywhere else. They hadn't a clue as to what real Mexican food should be like. The tortilla's were like crepes, the food bland and not quite right.
I had the same experience with Chinese food in France as well. Sad little dishes.
I did though have a decent Indian meal in the South of France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe