Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 01:05 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
You have already admitted that this cannot be measured. Why are you using variables that can't be measured?
When something can't be measured it is estimated. It makes absolutely no sense to disregard grey salaries in Russia, because they are very big.

Quote:
Now, I'm not suggesting that grey salaries don't exist, but the fact of the matter is that many people don't receive them and it's fallacious to use them as an economic indicator.
Are you really an educated person?? How hard is it to comprehend this:

That's a statistical measure, that includes people, who receive 100% white salaries, and people, who receive only 10%.

Quote:
In short, grey salaries could be anywhere from 0% to 100% of total salaries. You can't verify that either of those extremes are right or wrong.
Estimates are 30-50%. What is impossible is to choose a correct number in that range. In such cases it is common to choose a middle. But, if you wanna stay on a conservative side, you can use the min number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 01:08 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Estimates are 30-50%. What is impossible is to choose a correct number in that range. In such cases it is common to choose a middle. But, if you wanna stay on a conservative side, you can use the min number.
All right, fine. Please post the link that illustrates that grey salaries are in the 30-50% range (you had previously written 50-100%, but whatever).

Old 11-02-2012, 01:11 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,798,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Rebel, in spite of your conviction that money define everything in this life, the reasons that a lot of Russians are citing behind their desire to leave, are not of materialistic nature.
In fact a lot of those who would love to leave are well to do people. What they can't take any longer, is corruption, ( which affects businesses big time,) absence of law, inability to "find ends" in courts and so on.
This particular article in WSJ does not discuss the reasons behind the "immigration mood," but other articles written in Russian do specify the reasons.

PS. And yes, these "mail order brides" sites today are mostly a scam.
Some people are simply making money on it.
I believe money defines where you live, what you eat and where your kids go to school. That's enough to make a major determinant.

And no, mail order brides still come in to the US in hordes.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:12 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
When something can't be measured it is estimated. It makes absolutely no sense to disregard grey salaries in Russia, because they are very big.

Are you really an educated person?? How hard is it to comprehend this:

That's a statistical measure, that includes people, who receive 100% white salaries, and people, who receive only 10%.

But you just said grey salaries are guesstimated. Therefore they can't be a reliable indicator of anything. And you posted that ALL salaries have a "grey" component, which is clearly inaccurate, because jeff says he and his wife never had any grey income. So you've lost all credibility here, you may as well give up and go harass a different forum. I'm sure you'll find many opportunities on the internet to defend Russia.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:15 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
the reasons that a lot of Russians are citing behind their desire to leave, are not of materialistic nature.
In fact a lot of those who would love to leave are well to do people. What they can't take any longer, is corruption, ( which affects businesses big time,) absence of law, inability to "find ends" in courts and so on.
Now this is interesting and insightful. Imagine the quality of the conversation we could have if we weren't fending off propagandists at every turn!

Old 11-02-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
All right, fine. Please post the link that illustrates that grey salaries are in the 30-50% range (you had previously written 50-100%, but whatever).
30-50% of total wages. 50% of that means that official salary should be doubled.

The 50% is from here:

"" | | -

Other estimates are here:

ïýôõúÑÂ

Old 11-02-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But you just said grey salaries are guesstimated. Therefore they can't be a reliable indicator of anything.
Estimates are used in science veeeeery often. Especially such sciences as economics.

Quote:
And you posted that ALL salaries have a "grey" component
I never said that.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:28 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Now this is interesting and insightful. Imagine the quality of the conversation we could have if we weren't fending off propagandists at every turn!
But as I've said - the picture of today's Russia wouldn't be complete/well-defined without people like ROL.
( After all, do you think Putin payed millions of dollars to some British company for the abc's of the art of political advertising of Russia for nothing?)

A thought came to my mind for a second; inviting over here people from Yabloko forum - they are from different walks of life too, for an interview... And I'd be translating as I do my whole life))))
The picture I'm sure would be quite different comparably to what ROL is describing here.
( And yes, quite a few of them were from Siberia/Russian Far East as well from what I remember...)

Quote:
Idiotic lady, you can discuss anything in any possible way with erasure outside of the public forum.

2,042 posts, read 2,904,948 times
Quote:
Rebel, in spite of your conviction that money define everything in this life, the reasons that a lot of Russians are citing behind their desire to leave, are not of materialistic nature.
This particular article in WSJ does not discuss the reasons behind the "immigration mood," but other articles written in Russian do specify the reasons.
These are no small matters, indeed.
My wife's co-worker bought some land not far from one of the universities in Vladivostok. However, he could not get the government administrator to "stamp" (those gov't people love stamps) his contract unless he forked over two million rubles (apprx. 65K USD). Although he could afford it, the co-worker refused to pay it; so, her co-worker took it to court, where it has been for at least five years (I'm not sure where it stands as of today). He also owns land on Russkiy Island, which has been a huge problem for him as well.
My wife has a lot of funny/tragic (depending on how one looks at it) stories about corruption due to being an auditor in many types of companies (including many logging and mining companies). I'll ask her to share a couple as it would be probably be interesting for this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe