Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 06:32 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena822 View Post
Travric, Ukrainian government only talks, we didn't notice any another steps. If they promise us peace, we are sure that it means that nearest few weeks will become a hell for us. It is not a metaphor. Any time when they promise us peace talks, we know that they lie, even if I will hear from these people that in my city is a sunny weather, I won't believe them, I'll go and check. These people don't have honor, they do not know to keep word and lie every time they open their mouth. They are not trustworthy, all that they deserve- to experience it the hard way how we live here.
It will be. It already is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZPbkXMiixU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdZY1cvG6KI

( Unless of course Putin will come up with something in the nearest time.)

Quote:
And yes, those people screaming "Cut Russians with the knives" during peace march, I have no idea who they are, but they can't be inhabitants of Kramatorsk. Kramatorsk is Russian city as well as Donetsk and Lugansk and we always knew that. Ukrainian patriots may hate us for it, we do not care anymore. We did not give them a reason to kill russian a year ago and call for new murders, they started this war even before the referendum. They can blame only themselves that we did not want to live this way.
Yes I see the locals are saying the same in the comments, that the way this crowd sounds - it's not the local pronunciation. But hey - it's not like Ukrainian authorities don't bus people in from other areas to Russian cities. It was a case in Odessa, it was a case in Kharkov from what I vaguely remember. All those "football fans" you know...

Last edited by erasure; 01-20-2015 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 08:34 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
The whole fight is a part of Ukraine looking more West to its future. It may or may not work but they should have the freedom to try. As noted it seems past pathologies govern the future of both Russians and Ukrainians. At bottom new statesmen are needed to understand the change. I think they are not born yet...and the carnage continues.
Freedom to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2fYcHLouXY

What freedom are you talking about? How were the Ukrainian people "free" to make a decision in this matter? Yanukovich was the elected president of Ukraine, the world pronounced his election legitimate. Have you forgotten what happened last year? A freely elected president was overthrown by a very small minority. That's not freedom. It's the suppression of the will of the people. The fact that we all know that there are a lot of people pro Russian in the Ukraine yet their silence is ensured by various forms of intimidation up to and including threats against their lives. Is this freedom?

How dare you even use the word in this arena.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:09 PM

238 posts, read 198,338 times
It's not freedom, it is armed coup caused disintegration of the country and civil war because most of people in Ukraine doesn't know why interests of small group of people must be above interests of all another people.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:20 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Freedom to try.

What freedom are you talking about? How were the Ukrainian people "free" to make a decision in this matter? Yanukovich was the elected president of Ukraine, the world pronounced his election legitimate. Have you forgotten what happened last year? A freely elected president was overthrown by a very small minority. That's not freedom. It's the suppression of the will of the people. The fact that we all know that there are a lot of people pro Russian in the Ukraine yet their silence is ensured by various forms of intimidation up to and including threats against their lives. Is this freedom?

I personally believe that it was free will of many Ukrainians to break off with Russia and to join European Union. ( That this desire has been supported and used by the US was a different story.) The problem is, people that came to Maidan to fight for it, came mostly from Western-Central provinces. And they started forcing their preferences onto those who had no interest in it. The danger of revolutions is that they lead to civil wars.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:51 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Right now it seems to me the only peaceful place in Ukraine is Chernobyl....

Old 01-21-2015, 06:41 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
Re: .'the danger of revolutions is that they lead to civil wars'..

Yes I'd agree with that. But with the crises we see it's tough enough to deal with a revolution occurring within a country and to also have to deal with great interference by a country from without.
Russia adds the wood to build the Ukrainian fire simple as that. Geography is a killer too. I can't help
seeing the ethnic closeness though . Never saw a placard or poster that said 'Russki out!'. Maybe there was method to Putin's contention that no Russian military is in the country???

I'll just add that Stalin in his benevolent tenure really stoked the fires of nationalism in his Republics.
All were on the same page and it worked very well until the 'fall'. Then that same nationalism came back to bite the hand that fed. But no civil war. A win for rationality.

Not sure what's in the cards coming up for Russia but it's nationalism very well alive in the crisis we see may leave them in a position as being forever tied to that particular medicine dose that provides crucial identity. The 'fix' is in and the rest of the family has to deal with that addiction. Doesn't appear to be any leeway in Ukraine's position due to Russian intransigence.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:14 AM

WW3 is looming , most kids in my country (european) are now aware of that. It sends me a chill down the spine.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:27 AM

319 posts, read 395,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: 'Then you might call me a 'non -thinking person' as well'

No. I think you would agree that surely 'violence is the language of the inarticulate'.

The whole fight is a part of Ukraine looking more West to its future. It may or may not work but they should have the freedom to try. As noted it seems past pathologies govern the future of both Russians and Ukrainians. At bottom new statesmen are needed to understand the change. I think they are not born yet...and the carnage continues.
Yes, but it simply doesn't work that way. The country has been split halfway long before the protests. If there is a unified opinion that most Ukrainians share, then by all means, they could do whatever they desire. However, you can't simply ignore a large chunk of the population that does not want to "look" West.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:35 AM

Anyway , "the West" ain't a model for nobody anymore, long gone are the times where the ads (in Germany) said : "Go West Young Man"!

Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Freedom to try.

Just because you are elected under a democratic system doesn't mean that you are immune. Hitler was legitimately and freely elected under Weimar Republic in 1933 - does that mean that the allies shouldn't have invaded Germany and overthrow this monster, just because he was "freely and legitimately" elected?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe