Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 04:31 AM

32 posts, read 34,375 times

Advertisements

Simpson picked already existing stereotypes. The answer is simple, Americans are used to the "Colgate smile", if you don't have the "Colgate smile" then you have bad feet, bad breath and problems with your feet and in your country they use raspy toilet paper.

Colgate Smiles are all important, when you enter into a shop people flash their Colgate Smile all the time, if you don't have the Colgate Smile you won't get a job, etc, etc.

The Colgate Smile is not equivalent with Healthy Teeths.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:09 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
102 posts - hope OP got his answers (in TWO threads he started about the same topic! )

Old 03-28-2014, 06:10 AM

586 posts, read 831,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It's interesting that the only source people are able to come up with is statistics on children, I don't think I've seen anything on adults.
Well you have us there, between the ages of 17 and 18 we Europeans choose to stop brushing and to all intents and purposes stop maintaining any form of oral hygiene. We're diligent and hygienic until we're 17 and then out with the toothpaste and toothbrush and in with the cement and hammer....

Your emphasis on the lack of adult data (maybe try using the search on the OECD report that was linked earlier?) gives the impression that you believe that there is little correlation between the health of a childs teeth and the health of the selfsame adults teeth. I initially found this slightly bewildering but looking back over this thread (and your other thread in a similar vein) maybe it was to be expected.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:06 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Did you read what easthome posted? "I think I read somewhere..." because the best facts come from those kinds of posts.

It's interesting that the only source people are able to come up with is statistics on children, I don't think I've seen anything on adults.
Look I was only being honest 'I think I read somewhere' means exactly that - I think I read somewhere, now if you look at Dunno what to put here, Elina and Mr Blue Skys posts I think you will see that there is no truth in what you say about the British having bad teeth, it is in fact just another stereotype and in fact if anything as the reports the (aforementioned) guys posted show the British have 'on average' healthier teeth than 'on average' the Americans do.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:03 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,431,777 times
Quote:
The stereotype is prevalent, like it or not, and there is a measurable amount of truth to it. I understand people's feelings getting hurt over such a sensitive issue, but there is no denying the fact. Of course people with bad or unsightly teeth exist everywhere, the United States is no exception. What I am getting at is that people, namely in European countries, it seems do not have the same level of dental attention as do most Americans. Consider this:

A simple Google search on "British Teeth" yields these results.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...2F%3B408%3B250

Here's what I get when I type in "British Smiles" into Google.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=isch&imgdii=_

Here's what I come up with when I search "American Teeth"

Here's what comes up when I search "American Smiles"

Now, I am in no way at all suggesting that Google image search is an accurate representation of what everyone's teeth look like in a particular country, but you can see that there is a difference. Americans are far more likely to have straight white teeth. British are more likely to have crooked and discolored teeth. Explain to me why that is?
You explain to me where have you actually witnessed that phenomenon, in the unlikely case that you've ever left the US at all.

I'm sure if I google "All blacks are crackheads" a few matches will come up. That doesn't stop it from being an ignorant stereotype.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:28 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Quote:
Did you read what easthome posted? "I think I read somewhere..." because the best facts come from those kinds of posts.

And you are unable to come up with any source whatsoever to back up your claims, beyond a Google Image search of 'British Teeth'.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:50 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
102 posts - hope OP got his answers (in TWO threads he started about the same topic! )
I have been replying to a lot of the questions directed at me...I think that's appropriate.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
You explain to me where have you actually witnessed that phenomenon, in the unlikely case that you've ever left the US at all.

I'm sure if I google "All blacks are crackheads" a few matches will come up. That doesn't stop it from being an ignorant stereotype.
Did you read what I posted? I didn't search google for "Ugly British Teeth" just "British teeth". I didn't search for "Beautiful American teeth" just "American teeth".

It's very common for someone to dodge answering a question by asking a question themselves. Usually leads me to believe that they have no answer, and are instead resorting to circular reasoning and trying to redirect the flow of the conversation towards something unrelated. I haven't gained a whole lot of significant information on here, one graph about cavities for kids age 12 around the world and a whole lot of hateful comments, and a few anecdotes on where the stereotype arose from.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
Well you have us there, between the ages of 17 and 18 we Europeans choose to stop brushing and to all intents and purposes stop maintaining any form of oral hygiene. We're diligent and hygienic until we're 17 and then out with the toothpaste and toothbrush and in with the cement and hammer....

Your emphasis on the lack of adult data (maybe try using the search on the OECD report that was linked earlier?) gives the impression that you believe that there is little correlation between the health of a childs teeth and the health of the selfsame adults teeth. I initially found this slightly bewildering but looking back over this thread (and your other thread in a similar vein) maybe it was to be expected.
Circular reasoning. You really don't have an answer, but went ahead and typed two paragraphs anyway.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:11 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,431,777 times
Quote:
Did you read what I posted? I didn't search google for "Ugly British Teeth" just "British teeth". I didn't search for "Beautiful American teeth" just "American teeth".

It's very common for someone to dodge answering a question by asking a question themselves. Usually leads me to believe that they have no answer, and are instead resorting to circular reasoning and trying to redirect the flow of the conversation towards something unrelated. I haven't gained a whole lot of significant information on here, one graph about cavities for kids age 12 around the world and a whole lot of hateful comments, and a few anecdotes on where the stereotype arose from.
"Circular Reasoning", uh? So you fancy yourself as a bit of a logicist...Well, here's some logic for you: When you google "British teeth" the search engine doesn't return random images of British people's teeth. That's not how the Internet works; the government doesn't keep a searchable picture database of people's teeth sorted by nationality. When you google "British teeth" what you're doing is retrieving occurrences of people using that cliche, validating your self-fulfilled reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe